A-7E BuNo.157545 VA - 195 Cdr. Hardisty's Ride

Howdy Everyone,

This is my first GBd (and i think first post) at LSP. Been a long time fan, admiring the great work here, and have recently moved pretty much to 32nd scale. What I'll be building is Trumpeters 1/32 A-7E in Cdr Hardisty's colors. I have had the kit in my stash for awhile, and decided to dust it off and give it a go.Yeah, I know of the inconsistency's of the kit versus plans - nose and intake shape being a main one. I don't have the Zactomodel conversion set, and I see it's been discontinued. I just like the overall look of the SLUF, and am going to throw some other AM at it, and just enjoy the build. Checked out the reported weird problem with gluing stuff on the fuselage sprue. I've tested Tenax gluing up the rudder, and that went fine. So here's what we have

]a71of1_zps1586bdc7.jpg

and the resin I'll be using:

Aires 2050 Cockpit (Early)

Aires 2055 Wheel Bays

Aires 2058 Avionics Bay (in transit should arrive next week)

Wolfpack ESCAPAC IG-2 ejection seat - I'm going to look at this one versus the Aires. I know the seatbelts are molded in but that may be a good thing for me. We'll see.

a72of4_zps0625fee0.jpg

For Decals I've ordered the Victory Productions decal set from Hannants. Here's what that will look like:

VPD32001_zps3187efa9.jpg

Reference sources are:

US Navy A-7 Corsair II Units of the Vietnam War, Norman Birzer and Peter Mersky ISBN 184176731 2004

A-7 Corsair II Detail & Scale #22, Bert Kinzey, ISBN 0830685324 1986

Squadron Walk Around A-7 Corsair II Number 44, Lou Drendel,  ISBN 0897475089 2006

Vought Corsair II, Robert F. Dorr, ISBN 0850456266 1985

Squadron A-7 Corsair II in Action #22 Lou Drendel  ISBN 0897470214  1975

A-7E Corsair II Detail $ Scale C&M #9 Bert Kinzey and Ray Leader ISBN 0830684336 1988

Squadron A-7 Corsair II in action #120 Al Adcock ISBN 0897472721 1991

Really looking forward to this build and many others to come!

:post1:  Joe   These folks here are some of the greatest people and friends to help you out, :thumbsup:      Have fun with the A-7 SLUF     

If you like to see the Zacto kit in person Call me or email. ( Danny from the Club )

Joe, 

First, Welcome to the Forums and thanks for joining in the insanity of this Great Group Build.  We are all looking forward to your progress and if you need any help/parts/ etc. along the way, give a shout on your post, we are all here to have fun and build great models. :)

All the best to you and your build,

Paul  

:post1:  Joe   These folks here are some of the greatest people and friends to help you out, :thumbsup:      Have fun with the A-7 SLUF     

If you like to see the Zacto kit in person Call me or email. ( Danny from the Club )

Hey Danny! 

That would be awesome. We're about a week out from the next meeting. If you wouldn't mind bringing it that would be very cool.

THANKS!

P.S. Thanks for the welcome to these forums as well! Some real talented folks here. Hope to learn a thing or two :-) 

Thanks a lot folks. Really appreciate the warm welcome.

Here's the first thing I started on .. the intake... I filled these nasty pin marks with punched out styrene, and then filled the edges with basic Tamiya putty and sanded like crazy.

a71of4_zps61d89ad5.jpg

I've been Ordered by the Commandant to say," Hello to the New Guy"

HELLO NEW GUY,    he didn't mention anything else for me to say, so I guess I'll have to WING-IT.

Welcome to The Group..........................We love new victim's.....ah..er...fresh meat......no no you can't say that........Ah . Builders Here.

But seriously.......and there is no one here in more serious need of a shrink than ME. HaHa  You will figure this out on your own ....and If you don.t .....I'll tell ya!

I'm glad you joined us, and the A-7 is a Mighty Fine Choice. You will find that there are several Trumpy kits of all types being done here and that, kinda tells you a lot

about the kits they put out.  Lots of subjects that no-one else does and some of the older kits have a few issues that we may or may not  want to work around.

As some have said, if you need anything just ask and someone can probably help Purdy Darn Quick

Look forward to seeing your SLUF progress, and remember we are here to help or maybe provide a laugh or two, cause you can,t take this to dang SERIOUSLY

Well I guess you can but that's a whole nother story.

In case you haven't noticed I'm a couple o' fries short of a HAPPY MEAL, but my shrink say's I'm getting BETTER, but you my wanna ask around for a second opinion

Resident Nut Kase

watch'in you :wicked: 

jack

Ok Herr Commandant,  I said " Hello to the New Guy" .............Hope I didn't scare him too bad :punk:  :punk: 

Edited by marauderdriver

I've been Ordered by the Commandant to say," Hello to the New Guy"

HELLO NEW GUY,    he didn't mention anything else for me to say, so I guess I'll have to WING-IT.

Welcome to The Group..........................We love new victim's.....ah..er...fresh meat......no no you can't say that........Ah . Builders Here.

But seriously.......and there is no one here in more serious need of a shrink than ME. HaHa  You will figure this out on your own ....and If you don.t .....I'll tell ya!

I'm glad you joined us, and the A-7 is a Mighty Fine Choice. You will find that there are several Trumpy kits of all types being done here and that, kinda tells you a lot

about the kits they put out.  Lots of subjects that no-one else does and some of the older kits have a few issues that we may or may not  want to work around.

As some have said, if you need anything just ask and someone can probably help Purdy Darn Quick

Look forward to seeing your SLUF progress, and remember we are here to help or maybe provide a laugh or two, cause you can,t take this to dang SERIOUSLY

Well I guess you can but that's a whole nother story.

In case you haven't noticed I'm a couple o' fries short of a HAPPY MEAL, but my shrink say's I'm getting BETTER, but you my wanna ask around for a second opinion

Resident Nut Kase

jack

Ok Herr Commandant,  I said " Hello to the New Guy" .............Hope I didn't scare him too bad :punk:  :punk: 

Thank you Jack for being polite!  Now,  go sit back in your room and play with the your ball of string... it's almost time for your meds! :rofl:

Paul 

Hi All,

Thank you all for the warm welcome - especially Jack. After such a welcome as that  I think it will make you all feel more comfortable knowing that I have a spray booth and use it regularly! :-) Love the humor!

I really like the general attitude in this group that you build what you want to build the way you want to build it. Heck I've changed the amount of detail I put into a build from build to build. 

Anywho, here's the latest update... washed the resin pit and wheel bays, and started to prime using plasti-kote sandable primer. Also, finshed sanding the intake and getting ready for a Tamiya gloss white pour (was going to do it this morning but realized I didn't have enough X-2!) 

a71of1-3_zpsf6573b44.jpg

Hi Joe, 

Spray booth Huh?  I like to leave the top off the testors liquid glue my-self.  He He!

I have heard about the POUR method for  intakes and tried it on my F-100. Let's just say I'm looking forward to watch'in you do yours.

One of the great things about this site is we have builder's from Scratch-building all the way to OOB and there is Much Respect from All

These people enjoy building and sharing and do not have attitudes, and IF there are attitudes, the Moderators keep thing CIVIL.

It's why I stay here we have a GOOD time, we laugh and cry together as sometimes there are LIFE EVENTS and these folk Gather Around in

those time and do the best they can to Support someone going thru an Event as much as a group spread all over the world can do.

Anyway enough commercial ON With Building

jack

Jack,

My wife accuses me of intentionally leaving the cap off the glue all the time! :-)

From your comments I seem to sense a learning coming on with the POUR method. That's why I'm doing it with acrylics :-) Easy to start over.

We'll see what happens tonight.