HK Models 1/32 Do 335B

LSP_Kevin

Time for another update I think! I've been working at finishing off the bomb bay. Here at the constituent panels, awaiting final assembly:

dqCrsK.jpg

I spent a particularly long time on this one:

eknvD7.jpg

I suspect though that not much of it will be visible on the finished model! Also of note is the fact that this panel features alignment pins, but there are no corresponding holes in the part that is meant to receive it:

6Zl0Ki.jpg

I simply cut them off and sanded the mating surface flush. I'm hoping that HK will be able to rectify this for the production version though. I'm currently assembling the completed bay, which has to be done one panel at a time, so I'll be back with some photos of the finished assembly a bit later on.

Thanks as always for checking in!

Kev

Nice work Kev,

Not a kit I would automatically be drawn to but you offer a convincing argument. O/T but what jig set up is that you are using?

Regards,

Kent

It's the JHmodels one Kent. I got mine from UMM-USA:

http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_info.php?cPath=21_162&products_id=3101

They have a few different types, but the one I linked to is the most commonly used I think.

Kev

And moving right along, here's the bomb bay fully assembled:

aMw0d6.jpg

Just as I predicted though, most of that lovely pipework detail on the bulkhead disappears:

F8lYux.jpg

I decided to test fit the assembly into the fuselage:

MkUDEY.jpg

PPwbkS.jpg

loyR1O.jpg

It takes a little bit of finagling to get it to sit where it's meant to, but once you get there it all looks pretty good! I did manage to snap off one of the pins on the floor piece that locates it into the port fuselage half though.

I decided to keep the momentum going and attach the cockpit/nose wheel bay assembly:

de2jGF.jpg

If I were doing this again, I'd leave the forward bomb bay bulkhead off until after attached the cockpit assembly, as it interferes with sliding it into place. I managed to 'persuade' it into position without breaking anything however - for once. I'm just hoping I haven't snookered myself with regard to the wing spar, which needs to slot up in between the two assemblies. We shall soon see!

Kev

Can accentuate those thin silver(?) lines a bit more and add a brass fixture at the intersections?

Believe me, I tried! They're very faint - hardly raised at all, and what you see is my fourth attempt at painting them. A fine brush didn't work, nor did a silver pencil, and drybrushing them left a big silver mess. In the end I airbrushed them silver, covered them with more RLM 02, and then scraped that away to reveal the underlying silver. I touched up with a silver pencil and left it at that. Luckily the stand out more in person that they do in the photos. I could still highlight the fittings in brass though, as you suggested. That area is otherwise quite bare.

Kev

Reading through my recently arrived Classic Publications reference book on the Do335.

It's getting me rather excited about this kit, as is this build.

Keep it up and looking forward to getting my hands on one soon!

More progress! I've fitted the fuel tank and the wing spar:

Aj8Rhs.jpg

The fuel tank won't be seen; I only painted it because I had a bit of spare paint left over from painting other areas. I also painted up and fitted the forward bulkhead for the rear engine bay:

aESzYS.jpg

Painting up all these details is quite demanding, but I'm enjoying it tremendously. And of course there's so much more you could add if you were so inclined. My optivisor is certainly getting a workout!

I've also started work on the rear engine. I wanted to work on both simultaneously for the sake of efficiency, but I'm still waiting for the weight that goes inside the forward one, and I'm pretty keen to put that to the test as part of the review build process. So, here's the beginnings of the rear one:

5ASg1o.jpg

The main engine block consists of 6 parts - 2 main halves, a top (bottom, really) piece, 2 rocker covers and the reduction housing at the front. Fit is exceptional, with only a couple of peekaboo gaps at the front:

AueNzo.jpg

A wipe with some Vallejo Plastic Putty and a coat of primer and we're looking good:

vrrrHe.jpg

The primer has revealed a visible seam at the front, which I've since applied some more Vallejo putty to. The 'pipe' protruding through the top (bottom) of the reduction housing is part of the main engine block, but I had to open up the hole that it fits through - it was more than just flashed over, and I suspect it was a tooling oversight. Easy enough to drill out though.

Speaking of tooling oversights, the mount for the business end of the rear engine comes in two parts. One part has a pin that is clearly meant to find a home in the other part:

6GCmpV.jpg

As you can see, it just ain't so! Again though, no big deal to cut the extraneous mounting pin off. Here's the same two parts painted up:

c0BOm3.jpg

I don't actually know what these next parts are, but there are two for each engine, so I decided to tackle all four at once:

5zNBSC.jpg

Each one got a generic placard from airscale. They're not the correct ones for the part, but effective enough all the same.

Phew! If anyone can offer any painting tips for the engine, please sing out!

Kev

Fantastic work Kev, I have just come back from hols and am impressed with the speed that you are working on this one, the subject matter is not one that interests me too much but as others have said it looks a good kit.

Cheers

Dennis

Fantastic work Kev, I have just come back from hols and am impressed with the speed that you are working on this one, the subject matter is not one that interests me too much but as others have said it looks a good kit.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Den! And the crazy thing is, I've only just turned over to page 2 of the instructions!

Kev