HK Models 1/32 Do 335B

LSP_Kevin

Is AIR Modeller only digital? And what does a subscription cost? Went to the website, it looks like they sell articles a la carte, and for a steep price... I hope I'm wrong.

It's a traditional print magazine with a digital version available. No idea what a subscription costs, as I just buy each issue (digital) as and when they come out. Sure, I pay a bit more in the long run, but it means I don't have to come up with a heavy (for me) subscription cost in one hit. I'm not sure about other platforms, but on iOS, you can download the magazine app for free, and just buy whatever editions interest you.

Kev

R-E-S-P-E-C-T, sung to the tune of the song performed by Aretha Franklin! Beautifully done Kevin. You once said you wished you could paint like me. Well, I finally got this kit in my hot little hands and after pouring over the sprues today and seeing some of the ultra fine lines of pipe work and wiring that you so masterfully managed to paint, you have my utmost respect. I'm quite impressed with HK's kit and in my opinion you got the very best out of it. Especially considering you were working with a test shot which wasn't as clean a kit as what I have in hand. There are a few weak spots in the kit but I have no doubt the aftermarket guys will address those quite quickly. Eduard has already released Brassin wheels and pre-painted PE for the cockpit and hopefully someone will come up with the missing details for the bottom of the front engine. Nonetheless, congratulations on a very fine build Kevin and I look forward to seeing your model in print. Unfortunately my i-pad won't allow me to use the website's emoticons but rest assured there is a lot of clapping goin' on here.

Cheers,

Wolf

R-E-S-P-E-C-T, sung to the tune of the song performed by Aretha Franklin! Beautifully done Kevin. You once said you wished you could paint like me. Well, I finally got this kit in my hot little hands and after pouring over the sprues today and seeing some of the ultra fine lines of pipe work and wiring that you so masterfully managed to paint, you have my utmost respect. I'm quite impressed with HK's kit and in my opinion you got the very best out of it. Especially considering you were working with a test shot which wasn't as clean a kit as what I have in hand. There are a few weak spots in the kit but I have no doubt the aftermarket guys will address those quite quickly. Eduard has already released Brassin wheels and pre-painted PE for the cockpit and hopefully someone will come up with the missing details for the bottom of the front engine. Nonetheless, congratulations on a very fine build Kevin and I look forward to seeing your model in print. Unfortunately my i-pad won't allow me to use the website's emoticons but rest assured there is a lot of clapping goin' on here.

Cheers,

Wolf

Thanks Wolf! That's just about the nicest feedback I could imagine getting, and it's been a pleasure to have you along for the ride. Hopefully you'll be joining me for the Corsair build.

Kev

Kevin,

Truly, thank YOU for taking the time and effort to share this build! Pretty inspiring!

Cheers, Tom

Thanks Tom. It's been my pleasure, and I'm truly happy that you guys all enjoyed the both the ride, and the result.

Kev

Superb build, Kevin  :clap2:  :clap2:  :clap2:

She looks fantastic. I may even buy the issue of AIR Modeller just to see your article! Pretty cool!

Thanks Tomek! I'm not here to promote AIR Modeller, but that's a very nice thing to say, and I'm sure David Parker would be pleased to hear it!

Kev

• 9 months later...

OK, radiator work finally completed! First, the Tasman stainless steel mesh in place:

epptJk.jpg

They're not a perfect fit, and a couple of glue marks are visible, but overall I think it looks pretty effective - even when fixed inside the cowl front:

vEbFcj.jpg

And the completed cowling:

KETKnv.jpg

Most of this work has been part of an avoidance tactic regarding masking the windscreen (and canopy) so I can install it to finish off the main fuselage work. So, I guess that's my next task...

Kev

I'm curious Kev, what version of the mesh did you buy (fine, super fine etc)?  This mesh might come in handy for several projects I suspect.

Dave

I'm curious Kev, what version of the mesh did you buy (fine, super fine etc)?  This mesh might come in handy for several projects I suspect.

Dave

I don't actually recall, Dave, as I've had it in my stash for over 20 years! Actually, now that I've hauled it out from its hiding place, I see the instruction sheet (which I somehow managed to not throw away) says Extra Super Fine. It's good stuff, but hard work to cut or shape.

Kev

I don't actually recall, Dave, as I've had it in my stash for over 20 years! Actually, now that I've hauled it out from its hiding place, I see the instruction sheet (which I somehow managed to not throw away) says Extra Super Fine. It's good stuff, but hard work to cut or shape.

Kev

Gotcha!  I was looking at Ebay and there's a seller on there that has a full selection of this product and wasn't sure what grade the mesh was.  I'd guessed @ super fine, so was close.  Will go and look at the extra super fine!  

Cheers for the super fast response.  I think I'll lash out on the Albion 1mm aluminium tubes too, as they look and sound good.  I'm busy taking notes for when I eventually get around to building the HK kit.  :-)  I hope you don't mind me borrowing your ideas!!!

Dave

Hey Kev, with regards to the wing tips on M13, my research material not only indicates that M13 was indeed tested with the extended wing tips but also notes that the underside of the wing tips were painted in an unknown colour distinct from the light blue. You can really make out the difference in the one pic of M13 in the Dornier Do 335 book by J. Richard Smith & Eddie J. Creek. It is possible yellow or red was applied as a ground recognition feature but the exact colour could not be confirmed. You could use a little artistic licence, go for red wing tips, and no one could dispute it. It would make for an interesting splash of colour eh?

Cheers,

Wolf

Wolf & Kev (since you both have this book) - co-incidentally, I had a look at this book on Amazon earlier today...it's very pricey now!!!  What other books are recommended reading on this beauty?

Dave

Hi Kev!!... being a little away from the  forum... my daughter was born on past july so you can imagine how things are here! lost my job too.. things are bad here in Brazil! politics / economy issues....

however, never stops to check fantastic builds as yours.... thanks again for sharing it!

i think maybe dornier will be my next lsp next project!

cheers

shep

Edited by shepard

Thanks for checking in, Shep, and welcome back! Congrats on the birth of your daughter too, but sorry to hear about losing your job. I hope you can find something soon, but in the meantime, enjoy your daughter! And maybe a Dornier if you get the chance.

Kev