HK Models 1/32 Do 335B

LSP_Kevin

Beautiful work, Kev!

She really looks the part. Have you thought about writing up a little tutorial on your filtering technique for the rest of us?

Sure would be a welcome tool in my workbench!

John

Thanks John. I'm not really an expert on dot filtering, as it's only the second time I've used it. And it didn't quite work out as I had planned this time! But the basic approach doesn't differ from what I've outlined in this thread so far. I just have to get better at choosing the complementary colours, and then practice blending them in better. It is meant to produce a very subtle result though - like most weathering techniques I guess!

Kev

Looks good, Kev! I agree with most of the others: better to be subtle on a barely flown aircraft. Looks like the decals turned out good. How were they to work with? What setting agents did you use?

Thanks Ray. The decals are by Cartograf, and are beautifully printed. My gloss coat wasn't as smooth as it needed to be though (having a bit of trouble with those lately), so I ended up with a bit of silvering here and there. Once everything has had a flat coat, I'll be able to see where the worst of it is, and deal with it. Can't fault the decals though.

Kev

Nice effect Kev.

I'm blown away by how smooth that gloss coat looks in your photos.

The whole lot looks a million dollars. Keep it up.

Thanks Guy. My gloss finishes are nowhere near the quality that Eric produces, but they photograph well!

Kev

Hi Kev superb job and I love it. I like the oil dot filter :thumbsup:  – I like to use it as It's hard to over do it and if you do you just keep wiping! Helps with my bumbling efforts. Try some blue with the green areas but be very, very sparing as it can get out off control and dominate. I tend to put a bit of yellow ochre or cadmium near it so it makes variant of green and blue-ish hues as you blend and wipe it back.

Great BIG bird mate and a you have done a great job with her  :yahoo: 

Taff :D

Hi Kev superb job and I love it. I like the oil dot filter :thumbsup:  – I like to use it as It's hard to over do it and if you do you just keep wiping! Helps with my bumbling efforts. Try some blue with the green areas but be very, very sparing as it can get out off control and dominate. I tend to put a bit of yellow ochre or cadmium near it so it makes variant of green and blue-ish hues as you blend and wipe it back.

Great BIG bird mate and a you have done a great job with her  :yahoo:

Taff :D

Thanks Taff. I knew blue would be the way to go, but don't have any, unfortunately. I could have tried some Paynes Grey I guess, as it has a touch of blue in it, but I figured it was too dark for the effect I was trying to achieve. At least I've learned to say away from the red!

Kev

Wow Kev, it's really looking great!

Kev

Holy Cow ... Looking fantastic.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks chaps. I've just been battling the flat coat. Using Vallejo's Matt Varnish, I'm getting lots of the dreaded white flecking, and I'm spending an inordinate amount of time chipping them off with a toothpick. Time to switch to another flat varnish I think!

Kev

It is looking amazing! Great progress, and I bet it looks impressive next to your other 1/32 WWII models.

Cheers, Tom

Thanks Tom. It's certainly larger than the rest of them! I've switched to Tamiya's Flat Clear (XF-86), and it's performing much better. I've also switched back to my Iwata, as the H&S was spitting a bit - no idea if that was due to the Vallejo paint mix or the airbrush itself.

More photos soon!

Kev