"Tojo Eats S***!" - 1/32 Tamiya F4U-1 Corsair

DoogsATX

Guest Peterpools

Matt

Wonderful progress on the Corsair and I'm taking notes as you go. I'm done with my P&W and am getting ready to attach the cowl and cowl flaps. I'm still out to lunch on whether or  not I want to use the Vector cowl flaps or leave the Tamiya ones in the close position.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Looks great

I added the nav lights last and hand painted the frames with a fine brush. It worked out well and was easy.

I'll be using Tamiya for the upper surfaces, and it and paintbrushes just don't get along, at least in my presence...

Matt

Wonderful progress on the Corsair and I'm taking notes as you go. I'm done with my P&W and am getting ready to attach the cowl and cowl flaps. I'm still out to lunch on whether or  not I want to use the Vector cowl flaps or leave the Tamiya ones in the close position.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

The Vector flaps are gorgeous but installing them and handling the cowl after is a bit of a PITA. I decided to do mine open on this one, and will be doing closed on the F4U-1A. No idea what I'll do to complete the trifecta with the inevitable -1D.

Last night was given over to some experimentation.

I'm planning an extremely battered birdcage, and part of that will involve worn and chipped paint. Instead of just chipping down to bare metal, though, I wanted to show primer peeking through in places. Multilayer chipping, in other words. 

This left me with some questions to resolve. Would going back over the chipped bare metal/primer with black and then with blue be too much for chipping to work? How necessary would it be to seal the chipped primer before putting stuff on top of it? What about "thinning" the paint on top with a water/windex solution to create a worn look?

Here's the fruit of my labors: 

Tamiya%20F4U-1%20Corsair%20-%2010-07-14%

From aft forward, I conducted three tests. All of them began with alclad, followed by hairspray, followed by Tamiya XF-4 than was then chipped.

• Aft: No clear coat. Additional layer of hairspray over XF-4, followed by X-18 Semi-Gloss Black and XF-18 Medium Blue
  • Mid: Clear coat of Gunze Semi-Gloss. Then hairspray, then X-18 and XF-18
  • Very front: Clear coat of Gunze Semi-Gloss. No hairspray. X-18 and XF-18 and attempted thinning with Windex/water solution

The results were very clear - the middle approach far and away worked best. Without sealing, I was still chipping all the way down to the Alclad on the aft section, even after the black and blue had gone down. And up front, the Windex/water did nothing, until it did everything and bored right down to the Alclad. 

All of this paves the way for me to begin painting the Corsair very soon. Can't wait!

Fantastic results, Matt!

If I may ask (and forgive me if I missed it), how did you remove the paint to make the chips? Sandpaper? Knife? Tape?

I've been planning a similar type of effect for the wing roots of my Sturmovik, so this info was timed perfectly. Thanks for posting your test results!

John

Fantastic results, Matt!

If I may ask (and forgive me if I missed it), how did you remove the paint to make the chips? Sandpaper? Knife? Tape?

I've been planning a similar type of effect for the wing roots of my Sturmovik, so this info was timed perfectly. Thanks for posting your test results!

John

Water and a small stiff-ish brush. That's it!