"Tojo Eats S***!" - 1/32 Tamiya F4U-1 Corsair

DoogsATX

This is one of my favorite Aircraft! I just love the Gull wings!!

Looking great so far.  :thumbsup:

I built one last year and Right when I was getting ready to post my final pictures of my completed model, one of our Pets knocked it off and broke it into pieces :crying: ,

so at least I can watch you build yours! :)

Teresa  :popcorn:

Bit more work on the Corsair last night - and my last bench night until the end of the week. Have a whirlwind of travel this week to New York and Colorado. I'll be in airpots six times between now and Friday. Joy!

Anywho...it's time to play with the greatest engine of them all, the Pratt & Whitney R-2800. Tamiya has done a bang-up job here. Definitely an improvement on Trumpeter's rendition, though a few of the parts are appropriate to later Corsairs. I'll be ordering the Barracuda update set to deal with the ignition ring, etc.

But before that comes the cylinders. I didn't want to fuss with setting everything up for shooting Alclad, so I pulled out some of Uschi's chrome metallic powder, and brushed that on the cylinder heads instead. The main engine block got treated to Vallejo Dark Sea Gray. 

Still a lot of work to be done, but so far, so good. And better still, I've verified that the cowl flaps and engine all fit rather nicely to the fuselage. 

IMG_20140728_003418-X2.jpg

IMG_20140728_003326-X2.jpg

Very little bench time this week. Thanks, work travel! 

Over the past two nights I've been focused on the R-2800. Wiring the Barracuda ignition ring is a huge PITA. Holes aren't deep enough...trying to deepen them is challenging considering how flexible and fragile the resin is. I definitely prefer rigging biplanes!

Last night I got the cover painted Tamiya Light Gray (XF-66), the ignition ring painted 50/50 Alclad Aluminum and Pale Burnt Metal, installed midge tubing "plugs" into the cylinders, and gave the cylinders a black oil wash. 

IMG_20140803_005113-X2.jpg

Still a ton to do - starting with engine placards and stencils.

More work on the R-2800! Little Pratt & Whitney decal placed, crankcase cover, distributors and ignition ring all installed and given a black oil wash - some initial weathering that will be supplemented later as everything gets wired up. The bolts on the cover were also painted with Vallejo Model Air Steel, which should be impervious to future washes.

IMG_20140804_004302-X2.jpg

IMG_20140804_004703-X2.jpg

IMG_20140804_004503-X2.jpg

Hoping to have the engine wrapped this week before leaving for vacation.

Great work, I'll follow your thread!

If I were you I'd check  the original photo once again, I think this machine was heavily weathered 3 colour camo.

I think there are a few signs that make that questionable...but really the picture and angle are a bit inconclusive. 

To me the lighter tail seems a fair argument for three-color. BUT you also have very obviously non-white gear doors. If the fuselage is three-color, it's so dirty and/or faded that it's basically impossible to tell.

The big curiosity for me is the wing leading edges, which are substantially darker than anything else. What I wouldn't give for a reverse shot showing the upper surfaces! 

I think there are a few signs that make that questionable...but really the picture and angle are a bit inconclusive. 

To me the lighter tail seems a fair argument for three-color. BUT you also have very obviously non-white gear doors. If the fuselage is three-color, it's so dirty and/or faded that it's basically impossible to tell.

The big curiosity for me is the wing leading edges, which are substantially darker than anything else. What I wouldn't give for a reverse shot showing the upper surfaces! 

the dark leading edges maight be a proof of the 3 color camo. It was in fact 4color camo...see following quote  from wiki

From January 5, 1943 all aircraft were to be painted in a four colour scheme consisting of ANA 606 Semi Gloss Sea Blue upper surfaces with ANA 607 Non Specular Sea Blue on the upper surface of the wing leading edges, ANA 608 Non Specular Intermediate Blue on the vertical tail, a graded tone close to FS-35189 Blue Grey (mixed from ANA 601 & ANA 607) on the fuselage sides, and ANA 601 Non Specular Insignia White on the undersides. The portions of the wings visible from above when folded were painted in the graded tone used on the sides.

Another nice info about camuflages ca be found here: http://www.jpsmodell.de/dc/usn_e.htm#1940

The landing gear doors....interesting observation..the underside of the mid wing looks a bit lighter...realy!

Wrapped up the engine last night. Or at least the front face. Still have some rear exhaust stuff to deal with, and I want to batter up the engine mounting frame a bit.

Tamiya%20F4U-1%20Corsair%2008-04-14-4-X2

The ignition wiring was painted with MM Jet Exhaust, then given a wash of Vallejo Umber Shade. The rest of the engine got some raw umber oil wash, then a targeted application of AK Engine Grime to make it suitably dirty, reflecting an engine in hard use in terrible conditions on New Georgia.

Tamiya%20F4U-1%20Corsair%2008-04-14-2-X2

Tamiya%20F4U-1%20Corsair%2008-04-14-1-X2