Ju 88G-6, 1./NJG 3, "D5+AH" (1/32 Revell A-1 w/AIMS)

Mikester

Artwork-Junkers-Ju-88G6-1_NJG3-D5AH-Herb

This one has been langusing on the shelf of doom for a while.  I did some preliminary work on the cockpit on this bad boy a couple of years back and then put it back in the box and it hasn't seen the light of day since.

Obviously I'll be using the Revell Ju 88A-1 as the base and the AIMS G-6 conversion set.  To see more of what the conversion set consists of take a look at the SPAR review here:

http://www.scaleplasticandrail.com/kaboom/index.php/all-things-aviation/132-135-scale/132-aftermarket-items/681-132-junkers-ju-88g-6-conversion-set-from-aims

Here's the initial pics, progress will be a little slow since I'm currently juggling three different projects. :mental:

The cockpit is pretty much OOB.  I did add a CMK radio set since the radio arrangement on the G-6 was different than the A-1.  The seatbelts are Verlinden hardware with lead foil.  The other parts and some of the decals were included with the AIMS set and the rest were sourced from Airscale's "Luftwaffe Placards".

017_zps225cd8c3.jpg

016_zpsd01e3c9b.jpg

015_zpsdf68b8b6.jpg

020_zpsff9c6643.jpg

The PE instrument panel didn't have a whole lof of "pop" so I scratched one using plastic and Foto-Cut bezels with the AIMS decals.

025_zpsa297b1a7.jpg

I didn't feel like doing a complete rivet job so I used the rivetting attachment on my "Mr Brain" soldering iron and gave it some rivet detail along the panel lines.  This attachment gives a divot while raising the area around it, nice effect but difficult to get consistent results because you're using heat to do it.

026_zps8629ff66.jpg

028_zps9ac0d57e.jpg

The AIMS set provides a vac-u-form belly pan but I really didn't like that so I converted the kit belly pan to G-6 specs.  I'll cut the gun pod off the vac part and affix it later.

029_zpsda29eefc.jpg

Edited by Mikester

I too have this kit and conversion set waiting in the cupboard, I fear this progress may awaken my desire to build it.

Tha paint schemes of the Luftwaffe night fighters is far too alluring.

Great progres, especially like the idea of modifying kit parts to minimise the vac form...

• 1 month later...

I started my A1 build back in January and have added quite a bit of scratchbuilt parts to the wheel wells as well as doing a super detail on the office.  Strange that there have not been all that many builds of the Ju 88 kits as they are really quite nice (and fairly accurate) kits.

Will be looking forword to seeing what you do with this build.   :hmmm: