Fisher Sea Fury FB.II UPDATE:9/1/14: FINISHED

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

HI Wolf

Followed your advice and repainted painted the spinner  - absolutely looks so much better.

Thanks Buddy

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Rick

Much appreciated and the build id now finally picking up steam and moving forward a nice pace.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Zero77

Thanks so much bit most of the credit needs to go to Paul for a great kit and when help was needed, was right there.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

SJL

Now that would be a dream come true but  the only Sea Fury I've ever worked on is the Fisher kit

Peter

SJL

Now that would be a dream come true but  the only Sea Fury I've ever worked on is the Fisher kit

Peter

If your ever over this way I'll sit you up in one.

Guest Peterpools

Steve

It's a long way from my neck of the woods to yours, but if I ever make it across the pond, I'll be sure to take you up on your offer

Thanks

Peter

Guest Peterpools

UPDATE 7/20/14 : GETTING CLOSE TO PRIMING:

With the busiest portion of pool season finally passed, I'm able to spend more time at the bench and the Sea Fury is picking up much needed steam. The wing and tail feather's seams were filled, sanded and polished through 12,000 grit for the smoothest surface I could obtain. Areas that needed a bit more of attention, were first filled with CCA, then a few extra light coats of Bondo and lastly, Mr Surfacer 500.

Elevator fit was fairly good with just a bit of sanding required but the ailerons were a different story. Fit was poor (most likely form using the latest ailerons castings fitted to a much older wing casting). Some light sanding and a bit of time under the influence of a hair dry brought the parts into line.

Somewhere in the trial fittings of the various cowls, I managed to loose a complete set of exhaust pipes, numbering 9 in total. Thank heaven for Evergreen styrene and a new set was made to order. A number of test fits along the way insured the exhausts wouldn't interfere with the cowl fit and now it was time to take a deep breath, throw caution to the wind and glue the cowl into place. The fit is isn't perfect, but considering where I started from, I'm quite satisfied just the same.

Wolf pointed out the the white star tips on the spinner should be pointed and not blunt at the prop base, so the spinner was repainted to correct my error. Adding the thin black pinstripes to the star required a delicate hand and after a few hours work, the stripes were completed.

The windscreen and canopy are clear resin and the detail was a bit on the soft side. Using either polishing sticks or 2,000 and 12,000 grit wet and dry sandpaper were out of the question and a risk I didn't want to take. My last option was using Novus scratch remover and shine, which worked rather well. The front windscreen was glued into place with Micro Krystal Kleer and still needs a light follow up with Vallejo Plastic Putty.

The two piece flaps for each wing were cleaned up but would need finishing on both sides, which dictated they be added later on.

Next up:

Finishing the gear, wheel wells and adding all the small bits and pieces before priming. Holy Cow, did I say priming?

Next up: landing gear, wheel wells and all the small bits and pieces still waiting in the kit box.

Thanks for checking in.

Peter

untitled-54_zps2ba0f313.jpg

untitled-53_zps08d90108.jpg

untitled-166_zps02b51057.jpg

untitled-167_zpse7037dd5.jpg

untitled-221_zpsfdf036e1.jpg

Edited by Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Kev

Much appreciated. Hoping to add all the small bits and pieces this week so I can finally reach the painting stage and then some painting. I have my fingers crossed

Peter