Ilyushin Il-2 Sturmovik, North Caucasus Front, Feb 1943

Beautiful work Shawn. I love your weathering. Now, how about some photos of that Mig-Eater down there  :wicked:

Thanks Mike

I did that Tornado back in '98.  It has gone through a move and storage for a couple of years and is now in dire need of both repair and updating.  It's one of my favorites though, and on the list of projects.  Perhaps a WIP on restoration of an old favorite... 

well, as i said on wip.... fantastic.... will try this on my bf-110 thats for sure....

inspiring...

shep

Thanks Shep

Let me know when you start your bf-110, would love to follow along

Thanks Wouter-  I noticed that too and the worn look on the upper surfaces definitely seem at odds with the underside :)  

The trick is that there's actually 2 paint finishes.  The green/dark green summer camo, that got worn pretty well on it's own mainly along the wing walks, and then the winter paint over the top.  In the case of the winter camo, it was a temporary water base that was far less durable than the underlying summer scheme.  What I found in alot of the historical images was heavy wear of the winter distemper, revealing the summer camo underneath.  There was a nitro-based winter coat that was applied at the factory in some cases, and those didn't wear nearly as much, but that's a different story...

In this case, I decided to depict the aircraft in Feb-March after the temporary paint had seen a full winter (at Stalingrad no less), but before it had been removed.  Believe it or not, the worn look on the upper surface is actually on the tame side.  I think that's certainly part of the challenge of this scheme- finding a balance.

Thanks much- I appreciate your input! :)

• 3 months later...

Wow - brilliant work! I missed this one entirely - I need to check back into this site more often. I have this very aeroplane done in 1/72 scale (the Academy kit, with the fuselage appropriately changed to the wooden one, as I see you did here, along with adding the flutter balances near the tip - good catch!). As you might guess from my avatar, the Il-2 is one of my all-time favourite aeroplanes and you did a splendid job on it. I built one in the summer camouflage a few years back (with a fully-detailed engine - ask me how much fun that was), but someday I'll no doubt do the ski-equipped version in the winter scheme.

Best Regards,

Jason

Emperoakai....

This is wow in my eyes....that weathering is so nice and well done...

This is the best looking IL2 ive ever seen...

The build, the scratch builded deatils, the teqhniques...alt very high standars...

You get very high numbers feom me on this one, this is art...

Also a question, have you got any thoughts of doing a diorama for this one a nice base to stand on with wet muddy with snow on top that melted a bit ...