1.154 inch (29.31 mm)

1.037 inch (26.34 mm)

SAC part

1.102 inch (27.99 mm)

1.004 inch (25.50 mm)

G-Factor part

1.139 inch (28.93 mm)

1.017 inch (25.83 mm)

Also, after working the cross section a bit, I've got the nose wheel down to .676 inch (17.17 mm)

Thanks for the measurements- it sounds like the nose gear is off a bit in most dimensions.

Kai

somewhere i read that the F8 was retrofitted with the A-7 wheel/strut becaus od strutural problems with it. maybe there were two sizes? trumpys A-7 front LG is smaller than the F8 gear....

Until it was brought up recently, I never heard this, and thought it would be interesting to investigate this and for the sake of posterity to comment on this. 

IMGP7951.jpg

F-8A nose landing gear.  Note the wheel, fork and the diameter of the main piston.  For the sake of this conversation, this is a fairly typical example.

a-7a_153135_045_of_109.jpg

A-7A Corsair II nose landing gear.  Note the same design elements as the F-8 gear

Observations:

• The F-8 gear obviously has a single wheel, whereas the A-7 gear has 2.
  • The fork on the F-8 gear is heavier not only in construction but in design as well.  The 3 spoke like reinforcing ribs along the bottom are not present on the A-7 gear.  Also, though not apparent in these specific photos, each tang on the F-8 fork has an I-beam type profile whereas the the tangs on the A-7 are a flatter U-channel profile, relying on the overall box like construction of the fork in general.
  • The main piston on the F-8 appears to be much greater than the A-7 

The landing gear issues are fairly well known in F-8 lore, and I believe strengthened landing gear were part of the upgraded series starting with the F-8H.  Aside from the horns on the nose gear fork and the "A-brace", it seems to me that most of the changes to the gear were actually to the main gear.

Certainly there are similar design elements in each one, I think it's pretty clear they are definitely different gear.  As Vought designed both aircraft, it's no surprise that there are so many similarities in not only the gear, but the rest of the aircraft as well, but again it ends there- the nose gear are distinct to each aircraft type.

:)

Kai

Edited by EmperorKai

It so happens that I also was able to get some build time in- some updates

IMG_5453_500_zps4f9219dd.jpg

IMG_5452_500_zps3258de05.jpg

IMG_5451_500_zpscaed7881.jpg

Opened up the various vents and ducts around the fuselage.  Generally, it wasn't necessary to open them all the way- just scribe more depth in them and thin out the louvers.  Washes during the finishing process will do the rest.

IMG_5468_500_zpsfd28ef88.jpg

The stabilizers suffer from some shrinkage, so these were "planed" with a hobby knife and cleaned up for a nice smooth surface.  The same was done along some similar shrink lines on the fuselage and wing as well. 

IMG_5398_500_zpsfdbfa3e7.jpg

The refuel probe door from the kit and the Aires set.  The Aires piece is nice and thin (though about 1mm shorter than the bay opening), but after comparing to reference photos, the I found that the inside detail on both the kit and the Aires pieces are not correct.  The Eduard piece actually has the correct detail.  

IMG_5450_500_zpsf3b3928f.jpg

Photo-etch detail on the kit refuel probe door which now compares very well to references.

IMG_5460_500_zps7260c8b1.jpg

The nose gear wheel.  As mentioned previously, out-of-the-box, it has a very circular cross section.  The circumference was scraped down, which reduced the diameter by about 1 mm.  It was also slightly flattened for weight. 

IMG_5461_500_zpsa7e6a6b8.jpg

The bulged nose is now cleaned up on both sides.

Thanks for looking!

Kai

Great job, Kai - the nose looks great! 4mm too long, that's quite a lot! If you want, I can send you a scan of the scale drawing within tomorrow. I just need to check if it is still correctly scaled as it is a scan of the printed drawing, but I can do that if you want to.

Thanks much guys!

IMG_5480_500_zps9fa092a9.jpg

After the discussion on the nose gear, I was planning on doing more with the front landing gear, but after grinding off the horns, I decided to punt and use the G-Factor gear as is.  One reason is that by cutting down the vertical length of the nose gear, I became concerned that it might incur an undesirable consequence with the angle of the "sit" of the aircraft in relation to the main gear.  The second reason is simply that I'm starting to fatigue a bit and want to start painting!  The gear already looks good, so I decided to just go with it :)

In the pic above, the nose gear has been dry fitted in place in the Aires front gear bay.  I did drill a hole for an axle for the nose wheel, but in the end, it was still necessary to gently pry open the forks to get the nose wheel into place.  As there isn't really any spring in the metal, it is also necessary to gently bend the fork back into shape afterwards.

IMG_5471_500_zps2bd3ef1c.jpg

The main gear temporary fitted in place in the Aires main gear bay, which is also now technically complete.  The Aires instructions are not particularly clear, so it took a bit to figure out exactly where certain pieces are supposed to go.  There are a few Eduard photo-etch pieces that I will be adding to the gear bay as well. 

IMG_5488_500_zpsd1709344.jpg

Eduard PE and hydraulic/break lines added to the G-Factor gear.  The lines themselves are lead wire, mostly .030 and .040.

IMG_5526_500_zps8963d3d1.jpg

The gear with a coat of Gunze finishing primer 1200

IMG_5524_500_zps30bab021.jpg

The speed brake bay also primered...

IMG_5517_500_zpsb90e3ae5.jpg

and the wing center section.  A few additional lines were added along with some more Eduard PE.

IMG_5514_500_zpsb41ca9ab.jpg

I've also been working on the Zuni rockets on the side.  First, another thank you to John for the 2 extra Zuni launchers.  The launchers themselves are pretty good though I think the barrels need some work.  The rockets heads themselves have very heavy bands on them that I shaved off and smoothed out.  The heavy nose cap actually turned out to be a blessing in disguise as it there is a break in the ogive curve on the Mk 24 warheads that I was able to incorporate into the final shape.

image156_zpsb07326a7.jpg

Found this on the internet someplace (I forget where exactly) that shows some of the different warheads on the Zuni rockets.  I'm specifically looking to depcit the third one down, with the general purpose explosive warhead.  Note also that there are varying lengths to the Zuni rockets depending on which warhead is fitted and which motor is used.  This explains why in photos of the Zuni launchers, some rockets stick out more than others.

There's still more work to do on the ordnance in general and the cockpit, but getting very close to starting some painting  :)

Thanks for looking!

Kai

Great job, Kai - the nose looks great! 4mm too long, that's quite a lot! If you want, I can send you a scan of the scale drawing within tomorrow. I just need to check if it is still correctly scaled as it is a scan of the printed drawing, but I can do that if you want to.

Thanks much Starfighter and for sharing your notes.  

Though I decided to move past the nose gear rather than make some of the modifications that were brought up, I'd still like to add your schematic to my documentation- I'll send along a PM.

Highly impressive work Kai, I like especially your way of seeing/analyzing  and correcting details, highly impressive, joy to follow.

Cheers

Martin

Thanks Martin!  Looks like I was posting at the same time as you :)

Edited by EmperorKai

Thanks!

Have been working through the cockpit and ordnance and have some update pics.

IMG_5528_500_zps4f573787.jpg

Carved the angled radar off the Aires IP.  Built up a replacement, but after double-checking references, the dimensions seem off, so will build up a new one.

IMG_5554_500_zpsb6656c9d.jpg

Cockpit painting in progress.  Here, base coats are down.  Main tub is MM Light Ghost Gray and the rest is MM Interior Black.  

IMG_5536_500_zpsed10b863.jpg

Here, the LAU-33/35 Zuni rocket launchers.  From left to right, a progression from out-of-the-box, drilled and then opened up and thinned.  To thin the tubes, used a pin-vise with a Dremel bit.  The same was done on the opposite end of each.

IMG_5533_500_zps02b237bf.jpg

The Zuni rockets themselves, which seem to stick out a bit too much out of the launcher.  On the upper right, the OOB rocket minus the bands.  Using the custom aluminum jig on the bottom, cut them back with the net result on the upper left.

IMG_5537_500_zps5c0b3e17.jpg

A finished Zuni LAU-33 launcher

IMG_5540_500_zps08c762f9.jpg

...and the backside with the folding fins tucked inside

IMG_5551_500_zps2295ca24.jpg

One of the AMS Resin Mk82 Snakeyes, which are real beauties when done up.  I contemplated putting fuse extenders on the forward bombs, but I wasn't able to find any Crusader pics with Mk82's with these, so built the bombs up without them.

IMG_5542_500_zps53e257b2.jpg

8 snakes and an MER.  The Trumpeter MER (from the weapons kit) has shape and dimension issues, but I think it will ultimately still pass muster once everything is hung.  I don't want to pull the MER's from my Tamiya kits, so this is what I have to work with.  I really wish there was a decent aftermarket Vietnam/any era MER available

I've also come across and ordered some additional pieces, including wheels, afterburner scoops and Vietnam bomb graffiti, which will take a couple of weeks to arrive.

Thanks for looking!

Kai

Edited by EmperorKai