F-8E Crusader VMF(AW)-312: Done 2014.11.1 Summary Posted

very nice work there. sorry for the mistake with the A-7 gear....

i will eventually make some zuni warheads out off brass stock, the drawing helps a lot

No apologies necessary my friend.  You were passing along helpful info :)

Kai

Thanks much!  I haven't had much of a chance to check in lately, but have been plodding along with the build.  

I've finished up the wing center section now and thought this would be a good opportunity to share my process through a progression of pics.

IMG_5261_500_zps005db0ae.jpg

Here, the original kit part and my scratch built replacement.  Some additional lead wire and Eduard photo-etch was added for some fine tuning.

IMG_5517_500_zpsb90e3ae5.jpg

Gunze Surfacer 1500 was then applied over the finished assembly. 

IMG_5606_500_zps7ba4cba1.jpg

A couple of years ago I mixed up a jar of custom dark gray wash made up of Acryl flat black and burnt umber in a solution of 70% alcohol and distilled water.  I've used it now on a dozen projects and still have plenty left.  Here, I've applied 2 heavy washes to the primed part to build up shadows and set the stage for the white base coat.

IMG_5611_500_zps1860281d.jpg

For this project (and any USN project I might do next), I mixed up a batch of "USN Killed White" with 7ml Tamiya XF-2 Flat White and aabout 2 drops of Tamiya XF-20 Medium Gray.  This was then airbrushed- here you can see the resulting color depth in the white base coat.

IMG_5613_500_zps97f35bf9.jpg

Base painting was next- Tamiya JA Gray, Testors Chromate Yellow, MM Chrome Silver, Aircraft Interior Black, Polly Scale Oxide Red and an enamel dark silver I mixed with Chrome Silver and Flat Black.  I regularly bounce between acrylics and enamels without much issue.

IMG_5625_500_zpsf408b856.jpg

Tamiya X-22 Clear was then airbrushed for a nice satin finish.  A pin wash was then applied using a mix of Abteilung Black and Shadow Brown.  I really enjoy this step since this is when all the details start to pop out. 

IMG_5633_500_zpsc448361d.jpg

IMG_5642_500_zps25eadd7d.jpg

And a couple of pics from the left and right side of the wing center section temporarily in place.  After the pin wash, MM Flat was sprayed to lockdown everything.  I ran into a problem when that last clear coat "unsettled" the pin wash, so I touched up with the USN killed white and the airbrush which worked out as it blended some of the pin wash a bit.  Lastly, pastels were applied to finalize some of the highlights. 

The inside of the fuselage was airbrushed Tamiya JA Grey and lightened up with Tamiya Yellow-Green.

I've been able to finish a few other sub assemblies and am now working on the cockpit so I'll have some follow-up pics in the next day or so.

Thanks for looking!

Kai

Edited by EmperorKai

Thanks much for the kind words!

I was able to finish up the cockpit and have some update pics.  The process used for the cockpit was the same except that pastels were used more heavily for the black areas.

IMG_5674_500_zpsac6cd381.jpg

First up, a shot of the tub itself.  MM Light Ghost Gray and Aircraft Interior Black are the main colors used here.  Abteilung oils, Mig Dark Wash and some pastels were used for weathering.

IMG_5703_500_zps3054c5f0.jpg

The AMS Resin Martin-Baker Mk. F-5 seat.

IMG_5715_500_zps1d696959.jpg

The seat in the tub- starting to come together.

IMG_5737_500_zpse787e638.jpg

The instrument panel and dash from the Aires set.  This picture shows fairly accurately the subtlety of the pastels and weathering. 

IMG_5728_500_zps888227f2.jpg

A straight shot of the IP.   I noticed later that this and some of my other pics are a little on the bright side, so some of the weathering contrasts more than it actually does. 

IMG_5778_500_zps2f746df8.jpg

IMG_5787_500_zpscd7f836b.jpg

IMG_5789_500_zps3a4e92f5.jpg

...and lastly, some pics with all the pieces together (dry fitted, no glue yet).  The main weathering on the dash was done with pastels, so naturally I left a fingerprint while posing the pieces.  Easy enough to fix, though I'm thinking I might use the airbrush for more permanent fading effect.

Thanks for looking!

Kai

Edited by EmperorKai