1/35 UH-1C Gunship- DONE!!!

Thanks Loic and Aluxe!

Progress has been really slow lately as I've had to spend time working on my son's Halloween costume. I've managed to close up the fuselage and the fit has been challenging. I think because of all the openings for the various doors and windows has created a very flimsy fuselage with some warping. During my test fits, I noticed this and thought I had a handle on it. Unfortunately once I added the cabin roof in, the problem came back. You can see the result here:

IMG_20141026_222615.jpg

IMG_20141026_222609.jpg

So at the moment, between breaks on the costume, I'm slowly going in the seams and cleanng it up.

Carl

• 1 month later...

Well, after a slight break due to a nasty cut I've managed to make some progress on this build. I might even finish before the deadline...

IMG_20141204_223543.jpg

So, I puttied and sanded the seams along the fuselage as best i could. I lost quite a bit of the rivet detail and it being so fine, I have decided against trying to replace it as that would probably just make things worse.

I attached the main skids and the winch bay as well. 

IMG_20141204_223610.jpg

The front windows were glued in using Tamiya Extra Thin cement. I let capillary action just draw the cement in rather than trying to brush it on. This left a clean joint except where I foolishly decided to touch it.  The front lower windows have the sprue join along the outer edge. As a result, when I trimmed the first one off, it crazed the plastic slightly. Even after polishing the area, you can still make out a bit of it.

IMG_20141204_223631.jpg

For the co-pilot's side, I used a razor saw to remove the window and then sanded off the remainder. After polishing this side, it left no residual marks.

IMG_20141204_223640.jpg

Guest Clunkmeister

GO FOR IT!

With our extension, we can take our time and drive to the finish rather than the mad sprint we've all been doing.

Looking great, Sir!

Hi Clunk, Paul and Jack! Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm actually moving really slowly on this build since I've gotten a bit tired of the fight it's been for me. I just want to throw some glue and paint in a box, give it a good shake and have a perfect model pop out :P

Who am I kidding, sometimes it's the challenges that keep us interested in the hobby :mental:  :thumbsup: 

Anyways my thumb is healed up well enough that I'm fully functional now and it's not as sensitive to pressure. So I've gone and added the XM-156 weapons mounts to either side of the fuselage. I also added some exterior panels such as the engine cover and the intake and air filters.

IMG_20141216_151634.jpg

IMG_20141216_151643.jpg

I added some of the PE panels to the underside and the winch bay:

IMG_20141216_151656.jpg

Another coat of Xtracrylix Faded Olive Drab to cover the new bits and the seams:

IMG_20141216_153632.jpg

IMG_20141216_153641.jpg

Here it is after I touched up the anit glare panel on the nose and removed the masking tape:

IMG_20141216_154742.jpg

It's finally looking like a gunship!

The last thing I did last night was start work on the 7 shot 2.75" rocket launchers. I started by removing and cleaning up the seams on each of the individual rockets:

IMG_20141216_234302.jpg

They look like grey toothpicks...

I then slid them into the launcher rings and glued them together. So here's where I left off last night:

IMG_20141217_000244.jpg

Hopefully I'll more time later this week to continue.

Carl

• 3 weeks later...

I've been slowly plugging away at this kit and I think I'm getting into the home stretch. My original plan was to use the Live Resin ammo belts instead of the kit's vinyl ones but that didn't work out. The first problem I had is that they are molded in several short sections rather than one long belt.

IMG_20150101_231955.jpg

So, do you glue them together first and then bend them to fit or bend them and then glue together? I decided to go with the latter. Whatever resin Live Resin uses does not want to bend after heating, even in boiling water. It would bend a bit and then when you dip it again to soften it to bend it some more,it would straighten right out. I snapped a couple in half before giving up.

So I had no choice but to use the kit ones. As you can see in this pic, they're a bit stiff as well:

IMG_20141219_235007.jpg

IMG_20141219_235031.jpg

Edited by BloorwestSiR

For those building this kit with the XM-21 minigun mounts, the Academy instructions have an error in them. They have the position of parts D14 wrong. Here are the kit instructions:

IMG_20150101_233010.jpg

The Eduard PE instructions show the correct location as well as recommending you remove the tab of the top of the part:

IMG_20150101_233026.jpg