RF-4B

harv

I think if it were in the spine it would be a RF-4C for the BOOM receptacle?  Unless they had both? 

You Recce' Guys confuse ME!

I'm going to go do something safe,.........Like dodge SAM's

watch'in you :wicked:

jack

Wow, does this bring back memories! 

I would think all the RF-4Bs had the inflight refueling probe installed.  As a mechanic in VMFP-3 for a few years I don't recall any that did not; plus it was internal so I'm guessing that would be a heck of a mod?  Nothing on the spine re: boom receptacles that I can remember. The probe light was controlled by a rheostat in the front cockpit that could dim or brighten the light as needed.

As for schemes, the second one (double nuts) is a no-go as we painted that one up around 1990 for the stand down. IIRC it (the tail) was done up with the various squadron colors from MAG-11.  Also had an all black one (#36?) which would be towed right to the hangar after a flight for maintenance since it was so hot to the touch!

Finally, for "Vietnam" I'm thinking P-3 was started in 1975 so I'd probably go with the VMCJ-1 markings.

Good luck! Looking forward to the build!

Bob @ Victory

Many thanks for the info Bob. It's been a chore finding good info on the Marine RFs that flew in the war. Would it look very uncommon to see the prob out on the ground? I'm doing some guess work!

VMCJ-1 would be a good pick. From what I've read they had the most flight time from 65-70 and they're mission was so vital! The older ECM pod is another thing to nail reference down for so I can add it.

Any more info is greatly appreciated.

Paul

Paul,

the 157346 one with a red scheme is a thick wing plane. In fact it is the scheme of the very old Revell RF-4B kit.

The main problem lies in the fact that if only 46 RF-4Bs were built, there were noticeable batch differences and retrofit programs for the survivors!

Globally, to identify them, consider the following main elements:

1.  Early planes had thin wings. The last ten (starting with 1573XX) had the thicker wheels and bulged wings.
2.  Note as well that out of these ten late planes, the earlier and more angular nose profile was only used for aircrafts of the 157342 to 157348 thick wing batch. The last three (157349-157351) had the later more rounded nose profile with the larger belly window.

3. The last ten RF-4Bs had also the slotted stabilators.

4. In the mid-seventies, planes sensors were upgraded (SURE program) with the ALQ-126 ECM suite.  This is quite easy to identify:
a. The long antenna/waveguide DECM antennas on the air intakes (similar to F-4N ones).
b. The tail antenna ECM
c. The antennas located near the wing roots (ahead of the catapult hooks)  
d. There was also a fourth location of additional antennas but I cannot remember where they were located!
e. No more inboard pylons as they was no more need to use ECM pods.
f. Slotted stabs (introduced to the F-4B from Bl.26) have been retrofitted to the RF-4 survivors from BuNos 151975-153100 (blocks 20-25).  

5. From the mid-1980s/late-1980s onwards, all surviving RF-4Bs (thin AND thick wings) were SLEP modified with new GE79 -10  engines with the longer exhaust petals to ensure commonality with the F-4S fleet.

So, out of my memory, whatever may be the chosen era, you need a least to do the following modifications if you start with an AF kit:

- fill the AF refuel receptacle door on the spine
- scribe a door on the right fuselage for the IFR probe
- change the nose gear door to add the Navy landing lights
- change the cockpit (mainly the rear station without starboard console and different boxes on the port side).
- add the catapult hooks under the wing roots
- the Navy type MLG doors and wheel rims

For the other elements (nose, wing, stabilators and ECM antennas), this depends on the block and the era!

For an early SEA one, I'd use thin wings, GE-79-8 exhausts, plain stabs, angular nose, inboard pylons and no integrated ECM.

I hope this clarifies the picture.

Cheers

Thierry

Thanks for the info Thierry. Like I said I love a challange! I think by the end of this build I sould hopefully have enough solid info to post a tweek list!!! Back to work finding a VMCJ-1 bird from Udorn! :BANGHEAD2:

Paul

Would it look very uncommon to see the prob out on the ground? I'm doing some guess work!

It did happen, I'm sure, but I can only imagine for maintenance issues (which were infrequent when I was in P-3).  Now, on the other hand, you'd almost always see the aft seat pan (basically the bottom half of the seat) pulled and sitting on the wing leaning up against the fuselage since the majority of the avionics boxes were located on the starboard side below the console of the rear cockpit.  The only way to get them in and out was to pull the aft pad & bucket.  By the time I was working on these birds in the 80s it was sooo common I could remove and replace those boxes in pitch black darkness.  I'm not sure when the navigation system we used was installed but we did share the same IMU (inertial measuring unit) as the early F-14s IIRC.  You can see the INS keypad on the lower left front of the RF-4B rear cockpit on page 39 of the Detail & Scale book "F-4 Phantom II-USN & USMC versions."  Page 40 also has some good shots of the seat and you can see how it basically can be divided into two parts (top & bottom).  Of course you'd have to verify what version seat was in use during Vietnam as I'm speaking from the mid to late 1980s. 

Bob

Thanks again for the first hand info, much appreciate the help. I really want to build a accurate bird for the late 60s. Im just lacking a subject that has a story. I guess now I'm leaning towards a VMCJ-1 bird out of Udorn in 1966. Thats the year I was born.

I'm almost done with the rear office and hope to post pictures soon.

Paul

I have a feeling this project is going to do the two steps forward, one step back thing until I can narrow down a plane to build! Seems like most eye catching or get the juices flowing with me ends up being after 75! I'm going to try and build from Sqd/Sig USMC Phantoms in combat and try to go from there! If anyone has a subject that will work, I'm intrested.

After I was saticfied with the dry fit of the RF set, I figured I'd start on the rear office since this where things are different from whats out there already! With the help of the Aires front tub ( and I dont feel like splitting up my C/D tubs!) scratch building the rear tub was really the only option. I kinda based the rear from the B and J rear pit but with the different radar. I'll piece some intrument panels from what I've got laying around and hope it looks right! Or good enough!

013.jpg

0063.jpg

0013.jpg

0014.jpg

0132.jpg

Paul

Really nice work there Paul!

I don't know about you, but I LIKE making things and from the looks of it you don't seem to mind it to much either!  Way to go Bro! That's really nice work!

:piliot:

Paul 

Very skilfully done.

I must develop the courage to cut up a Tamiya to make an RF-4, and to rework the Tamiya rear offices, though not sure I could reach your skill level Paul.

Tony