The Air War Over Vietnam Group Build Discussion Thread

LSP_Paul

I have taken the Photos to start the build, Fixing broken resin parts for the cockpit, Built a new chair and fix a broken piece on that to :deadhorse:

And fighting with the PC. Not a good start  but have touched a model plane :hmmm:

Danny, 

Just start your written post on the GB page and ad the pics when you get things fixed.  :)

Paul

Cool Bill! C'mon over to the group builds forum and check out all the cool stuff that's going on if you haven't, and join us!  Build something with us!

Paul 

Thanks, Paul, I have three Tamiya Phantoms I'm considering. Just got the burner cans and intakes from Sierra Hotel, so I have to figure out what PE and other AM stuff I will need, including tires, etc. And if Derek ever gets his B conversion done, hehehehe....

Thanks, Paul, I have three Tamiya Phantoms I'm considering. Just got the burner cans and intakes from Sierra Hotel, so I have to figure out what PE and other AM stuff I will need, including tires, etc. And if Derek ever gets his B conversion done, hehehehe....

lol :lol: Thanks Bill. I am working through the planning stage at the moment before I cut any plastic up. This GB has actually spurred me on a little in this department.

Derek

I will definitely do the Hun.....  Nothing flew more sorties that the F-100    in SEA camo   with heat discoloration and chipped paint on the engine combustion area   ......     

I'm in a slight holding pattern at the moment...

Thought about the F-106, then the UH-1B in 24th scale, then back to the F-106, even thought about surprising everyone and trying that paper-into-plastic B-52...but alas.

Some issues with my medications have taken me out these last few days, hands are shaking and vision is too screwy to build, so I cleaned up the shop again, and decided to build something that wasn't going to fight me every step of the way.

So...I'm breaking out my Tamiya F-4E. I've got a set of replacement intake cheeks, a couple of gorgeous seats, and I have two shipments on the way, one from Sprue Bros, for a set of wheels, data stencils, and a PE cockpit set, and a set of intakes and afterburner cans from our very own LSP_Ray. Once everything arrives, I'll take my inventory shot and start working, although I might start fiddling with the landing gear and other bits on the tweak list that require attention without the use of aftermarket parts.

Jeff 

I'm in with a Trumpeter F-8E.

tru_2272_title_zps93c24715.jpg

img235_zpsbcf07435.jpg

Hey John, We have the GB going in the GB forum now, you can post pics of the open box and any aftermarket with a description  in there when you're ready! VERY glad to have you aboard sir!

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showforum=67

Paul

Edited by av8shunmodels

If anyone is looking for either the Trumpeter F-105 D or G kits, Wheels and Wings in Toronto has one of each in their basement for sale. The G is $119 CDN but I didn't check on the D's price.

Thanks to the change in season here (we have two, winter and construction), they're now 50 minutes away instead of 20 but it's still great having an LSP.

Carl

If anyone is looking for either the Trumpeter F-105 D or G kits, Wheels and Wings in Toronto has one of each in their basement for sale. The G is $119 CDN but I didn't check on the D's price.

Thanks to the change in season here (we have two, winter and construction), they're now 50 minutes away instead of 20 but it's still great having an LSP.

Carl

Thanks for the tip Carl!  I'd be curious how much they want for the D model,

Paul 

Before I "officially" move my F-100F "Misty" Fast FAC build to the GB I would like to take the opportunity to Thank Paul and all of you who have or intend to join in this endeavor. I am slightly taken a back by the interest this GB has generated. It's just too bad all the aircraft involved are not available in 1/32 scale; man what a GB we would have!

As a Veteran of the Air War in Vietnam it makes me proud to know that so many have â€œfinally†come to understand and accept that we were fulfilling our oath while trying to accomplish the mission despite the constraints and meddling of those who had NO Idea how to prosecute an Air War. We lost so many brothers in arms due to the insistent meddling and stupid “rules of engagement†that tied the hands of those who understood how best to use air power.

I know that I am not alone here; there are many among the LSP family who were also a part of the 100% ++++ effort that the air and ground crews put forth to always accomplish the mission No Matter WHAT the politicians placed in our way.

We will never be remembered as even a “Good Generationâ€; though we never set out to be. We were simply Soldiers, Sailors, Marines, Airmen and Coast Guardsmen trying to do our duty. We were not fighting for God and Country as any Veteran knows we were fighting for one another hoping that somehow we would all survive and live to be old men and women. Some of us have and to our brothers and sisters who paid the ultimate sacrifice I dedicate my build.

I Salute you ALL!

Edited by Barry

Before I "officially" move my F-100F "Misty" Fast FAC build to the GB I would like to take the opportunity to Thank Paul and all of you who have or intend to join in this endeavor. I am slightly taken a back by the interest this GB has generated. It's just too bad all the aircraft involved are not available in 1/32 scale; man what a GB we would have!

As a Veteran of the Air War in Vietnam it makes me proud to know that so many have â€œfinally†come to understand and accept that we were fulfilling our oath while trying to accomplish the mission despite the constraints and meddling of those who had NO Idea how to prosecute an Air War. We lost so many brothers in arms due to the insistent meddling and stupid “rules of engagement†that tied the hands of those who understood how best to use air power.

I know that I am not alone here; there are many among the LSP family who were also a part of the 100% ++++ effort that the air and ground crews put forth to always accomplish the mission No Matter WHAT the politicians placed in our way.

We will never be remembered as even a “Good Generationâ€; though we never set out to be. We were simply Soldiers, Sailors, Marines, Airmen and Coast Guardsmen trying to do our duty. We were not fighting for God and Country as any Veteran knows we were fighting for one another hoping that somehow we would all survive and live to be old men and women. Some of us have and to our brothers and sisters who paid the ultimate sacrifice I dedicate my build.

I Salute you ALL!

Barry, 

I am honored to be able to finally do this. Like I said on day one when I started the push to get this Group Build off the ground,  to me this small tribute is long overdue.

I wanted to say Thank you to you and all the Vets. I am looking forward to all of us being able to enjoy building new friendships and creating scale models, but also to learn, to teach, and to expand our knowledge of this hobby, but mostly ( for me anyway ) to say:

Thank you, Welcome Home and Never Forget.

Paul 

I Salute you ALL!

Thanks Barry,

I wasn't involved with the air war, however, the slow movers and one pair of rotary wings saved our bacon, more than once.

Thanks to you and the others that did the job that was needed, even under the "rules of engagement".

When we first arrived on station, the skipper read the 'rules" to us.

I was shocked and amazed at the naivete of the rule "makers".

We could not return fire until the skipper received permission from HQ. HUH?

That changed, too, we could fire, only if fired upon.

Then fire only if they are armed.

Then finally we could engage with force if anyone was armed.....what a mess.

Edited by Harold