P-61B-1 "The Spook"

Uncarina

I'm calling this complete. I really enjoyed this build: it was epic, and taught me some new skills, such as making custom decals (the aircrew names), and using custom masks. I've wanted to build this particular aircraft since I built the 1/48 monogram version back in the day.

This particular aircraft has been the subject of misinterpretation by several decal manufacturers, who have called the aircraft "Anonymous III" on the port fuselage, and "The Spook" on the starboard side. These were two different aircraft. I used the following photos for reference in my build:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/e7f985d7172a8dba46e315c1ab8e7611/tumblr_mve22goWzo1s75wb1o1_500.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/42/P-61b-42_39403_-The_Spook_-_548th_NFS.jpg

http://s47.photobucket.com/user/KosachevSergey/media/turret-1.jpg.html

Note the difference in weathering between the port and starboard propellers, and the relative lack of weathering for the spinners and the aircraft overall. Anyway, I used the following:

Relish Resin fixed dorsal turret and improved nose

Profimodeler 50cal guns for the B version

Avionix front and rear cockpit

True Details Wheel set

Eduard canopy masks

Zotz decals (for the wingwalk and some stencils)

Custom masks for most markings

AMS Resin propeller set.

Hope you like it!

Cheers, Tom

0XIQQ8K.jpg

Skqmkp8.jpg

gVhy5LY.jpg

PTPBOwd.jpg

A71t4yH.jpg

AkrSFtW.jpg

M5lUtJS.jpg

3YqwLYz.jpg

Edited by Uncarina

Graeme,

Thank you so much! As I mentioned in my build log:

1)the P-61 looks cool,
2)it's an impressively sized model,
3)the fit and detail have been pretty good
4)there's room to superdetail and scratchbuild,

Cheers, Tom

Beautiful build, Tom. The clear parts and the smooth black finish IMHO really make the model. Hope my clear parts turn out as good.

Thanks for posting!

david

David,

Thanks so much! Those Eduard masks are a huge help. From what I've seen of your builds, you will have no problem outshining mine!

Cheers, Tom

As I mentioned in your WiP thread, it's very well done...bravo zulu.

I do have a question though...if I were to leave the canopies closed as you did, do you think there's an added benefit to having the aftermarket cockpit set inside?

I don't have the aftermarket cockpit yet, but now I'm wondering how much of that added detail would be discernible with the glass closed?

I did a Canberra (in that 'other' scale) recently and put a resin 'pit in it, only to have all that work hidden under the canopy...

Opinion from someone who's been there, done that?? 

J