CF-18 Academy Kit

LSP_Ron

• 2 weeks later...

Ron, looks like that will be a nice project. Did not know that LE made those decals in 1/32nd so that was a surprise. I will keep an eye on this thread as my one and only 1/32nd F-18 will aslo be a CAF aircraft. Not sure which one as yet but since my favourite squadron is 416 Lynx I am leaning towards that.

Not to be an a** but you know you will have to adjust the shock absorber on the landing gear to suit the CAF CF-18s right? Pity you will have to cut such a nice set of brass castings or not.

Cheers

Chris

Not to be an a** but you know you will have to adjust the shock absorber on the landing gear to suit the CAF CF-18s right? Pity you will have to cut such a nice set of brass castings or not.

Cheers

Chris

Not that I am aware of. I don't plan on cutting them. I've looked them over and compared to photos and they seem the part. There is no discernible difference 

Pics of the reals CF-18 gear curtisy of Steve Bamford at ARC

sheb0523a.jpg

legs2_zps1041ea65.jpg

f-18_gear_bend.jpg

photo_zpsb7a5b447.jpg

I managed to get some parts washed and casting blocks sanded off so far.

bits_zps6b788c29.jpg

Interesting build Ron!

I've also got an F-18C in the loft I was planning to convert to an A and use the Leading Edge decals for the 425 Sqn 2006 display bird with the maple leaves on the fins.

The Canadians do come up with some really nice schemes - the RAF could learn something from them! 

Iain

Ron will be following along close to your build.  I like the scheme you plan to do.  I like the tiger stripe one.  What 1/32 decals are out there to do these colorful schemes or should I say still left in stock to purchase?   Dan

Guest Peterpools

Ron

Nice to see you back home and at the bench . The gear is sure going to look real good and should eliminate and worries about weight issues down the road. Some absolutely gorgeous schemes to choose from and picking one would be almost impossible for me.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Not that I am aware of. I don't plan on cutting them. I've looked them over and compared to photos and they seem the part. There is no discernible difference

Pics of the reals CF-18 gear curtisy of Steve Bamford at ARC

sheb0523a.jpg

legs2_zps1041ea65.jpg

Ron, the gear is most definitely not the same, Bamford's images are not Canadian CF-18 main gear legs. Our oleos were flipped. I inspected them enough to know, I worked CF-18s for 8 years.

Not a hard modification, the images and details are on ARC.

Here is a better walk around:

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/luc_colin2/cf-18_walk_1.htm

Edited by ScoobyDoo

This is the plane I am doing.  I'll have a look Scooby, not sure I will cut up the gear though. I bought it for strength, may have to live with the difference.

Dan,  check with Leading Edge, they are continuously adding new schemes each year although there is more available in 1/48

1370181.jpg

I see the difference immediately Scooby but I don't think I will flip them. They won't be easy to see as I plan on having wing tanks installed (although I can't find a picture of this plane with them installed).  I don't want to cut the gear and have issues with it collapsing later.