The story so far....

Bruce_Crosby

It's been a year since I got back into aircraft and I've bought lots and lots of 1/48 and 1/32 kits, books, decals, etch, resin, seat belts, undercarriages, etc, etc. But what have a actually done in the year, modelling wise? Er, not much if the truth be told. I have actually assembled the engine for Hasegawa's Raiden and painted it so that counts I suppose. Assembled the engine insert for a Hasegawa Fw190D9 and painted it too.

This weekend I was going to do some spraying. What happened? Yesterday I drove down to Yeovilton to have a look at the Corsair, on the spur of the moment (well, I planned it on Friday night, charged the camera batteries etc). I got some great photos considering the lighting is terrible in the building. Today I spent hours trying to sort out my computer sound system which just died on me. Ages to download 64 bit drivers and get the stupid machine to play a few Bob Dylan, Pink Floyd and Bert Jansch tracks. AND I still haven't downloaded to photos from the camera!

I'm spending too much time looking at stuff on this site, mainly because the models here are so good and the users are so helpful.

The books I've bought are truly great, the Fw 190 books from Smith and Creek, plus Eagle Editions beautiful volumes, wow! And yesterday I picked up Winkle Brown's book on flying captured German aircraft. Then there's the Eagle Cals and the Kagero stuff!

So when you guys are putting airbrush to plastic, think of me sitting here with the modelling equivalent of writer's cramp. and worried about it too!

Bruce Crosby

Guest Peterpools

Bruce

Hanger flying, armchair modeling and lurking isn't the hobby: building a model is. Put down the books, turn off the computer, don't worry about the sound, park yourself at the bench, break open a kit and start having some fun.Once you get going, you won't want to fall bak on your old ways.

so, keep 'em coming

Peter

Bruce,

We all go through that "ovewhelmed" stage of modelling. It's one reason I have multiple hobbies. Once I get a little too overwhelmed, I do something else for awhile, until that burns me out, then move on.

I've had a WNW D.V Albatros sitting on my shelf, partially started, for over a year now. After finding various reasons, (some real, some not), as to why I hadn't touched it, I took it down last week, looked at it until my mind started to re-organize, did a little gluing and taping, and I was back in business! 

Now I'm prepped and ready, (weather permitting), to shoot the underside with some paint. Honestly, I can't even remember why I shelved it to begin with!

The hobby is Yours, to do with as you please. Paint your Spits pink. All silver focke-wulfs? Go ahead! Or bring out your must expensive kit and stomp on it with a smile!

Take a year long Sabbath or several modeling all nighters. You are free to do what you please. Remember that.