Trumpeter F4U-4, Olathe NAS

D Bellis

Yeah, beautiful result, although a very different subject/scheme.

I've got that kit in the stash and I'm considering what to do with it, especially after the Tamiya kit came out. Think I've got a cunning plan :-)

tumblr_lnnt08sFh71qfg4oyo1_400.jpg

Guest Peterpools

D

Terrific work on a not so good kit. But you did prove it can be built, especially for anyone with a few loose marbles upstairs.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Peter

Thanks guys! :)

Trust me: It was far better to simply post 'not recemmended' that to post a 2000 word tirade detailing all of the ussues that I ran into. Not in many decades did I come so close to throwing a model against the wall...

Thomas,

If you're "cunning plan" involves actually building this kit in these markings, I'd like to suggest locating two sets of the decals so that you'll have the K for the top of the wing and extra orange to use where the fuselage stripe doesn't fit. I had to paint those areas on this one, and matching the orange was a bear. Beyond that, be prepared to invest an inordinate amount of TLC into the build.

D

very nice my family lived there for 4

years, my dad was in the navy shure appreciate this one thank you for sharing......

Thanks guys! And, you're quite welcome, Harvey. :)

Sure, Kev - but maybe include just the first sentence of the description? Using the aftermarket 'pit, gear and wheel wells on yours should save you the exhaustive tedium of cleaning up a myriad of nasty ejector-pin marks in difficult to reach yet highly visible areas (assuming that -1D is anything like this -4). ;)

D

Cool............I have this exact kit and Cutting Edge decals for the Olathe KS ship too. Everyone I have spoken to who built this kit before I purchased it said the same thing as you. It didnt stop me from buying the kit and decals as well as about every part of AM there is out there for the Trumpy -4.

Great job on a kit that is widely recognized as troublesome at best, and circular file fodder at worst.  Looks great!

Thanks Brian! :)

It certainly can be done, but might require a certain frame of mind going into the project in order for it to be an enjoyable experience. As mentioned to Thomas & Kev, the AM stuff will help a lot, and maybe get yourself a second set of those decals to fill in where CE dropped the ball.

Good luck if decide to build it!

D

Nice work…. I had the kit and decals… I love the scheme… but after more detailed look at the kit and reading on-line builds at the time… decided to retain my sanity and sold the bundle.

Thanks for showing us that it can be done!

:goodjob: