New 1/32 Tempest - master photos

Jan_K

Thanks guys!

I was a little worried that I might be crucified for the post, but I should have realised you guys on LSP are the tops!

I am pretty sure you will see it produced in aftermarket, I have seen the CAD for the new spinner and it looks brilliant.  I will leave it to the guy wanting to produce it to decide if he wants to post pics after re-instating the fine panel detail that was lost, and I am sure when you see it, the differences will be evident.

Thanks for your comments/compliments chaps!  Watch this space as they say.

Now back to my own projects

Cheers

Anthony

Hi Anthony

Very interesting and good thread...I think I followed you most of the way  :innocent: .

You mention the 1/3 of the nose section, do you mean the 1/3 of the SH kit nose section parts?  :innocent:

I'm also curious if did you managed to recreate the surface detail and panels back or?

Regards/ Gunnar

Edited by Gunnar J

Tempest%20Rad2_zpsez7mgx8h.jpg

Graham,

that indeed looks wonderful!  So is that AM nose fix going to be available as a commercial AM product from Iconicair?

I have the PCM Tempest, and was NOT going to invest in the SH version with all the nose issues it seemed to have........................BUT if an AM correction was in the pipe, and not too overly expensive I may be tempted. 

Hi Gunnar, it was the front 1/3rd of the kit parts that suffered the main issue.  The reworked nose is off to  a chap in Auckland who is going to take a second look at my work and check his spinner CAD against my nose, then off to have the surface detail repaired to match....truly a global effort!

I have to say that the rest of the kit is REALLY nice from what I can tell, well done SH and the master patternmakers, it will take pride of my collection when I eventually get around to making it LOL

Cheers

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

I'm not convinced the SH one is bad enough to warrant doing it! I still see wonderful Seafire MK47  builds from the Revell kit but still with that rotten nose!

Graham

But there would be far more Seafire 47 builds and Late Spitfire 22/24s if there was a conversion kit for the Tamiya kit. Is this still a possibility, a wonderful untapped market for you.

Hi Anthony

Thanks for your answer. I had a look yesterday and compared the spinner and nose front dia against Bentley's Typhoon drawings (I guess the nose dim are the same? ;-)) and notised as mentioned the SH spinner plate dia is ca 2mm to large and the dia at the nose behind the plate ca 1.6 mm to large compared to the Bentley's drawings.

I couldn't see that there are any major issues with the radiator cowling more than it ca 0.5 mm to vide, but thta is against Bentleys drawings.  :innocent:

I have made a spinner in CAD for MDC Typhoon kit long time ago as the kit one was to small to the nose..I will check what dia I did on that ;-)

Gunnar

Edited by Gunnar J

Hi Gunnar

Against the Bentley drawings it appears ok, however there are a couple of issues on the radiator fairing that had me suspicious, once I got the factory lofts, it was confirmed.  I am away all day tomorrow, but I can take a look when I get back and see if I have taken any WIP shots of it. 

I am not knocking Bentleys drawings, but it makes you realise that how good something is, you still have to be careful....if you are a rivet counter like me LOL

Hi Anthony

Haha yes unfortunately I'm to much of a "rivet counter" to..I said I should just build this kit..but with a spinner off a couple of mm etc it itches to either try to modify it myself or wait for hopefully a upgrade based on your maser ;-)

Please do send som pics when possible, would love to see and learn more on this topic :-)

Cheers/ Gunnar

Edited by Gunnar J

Roy Sutherland at Barracuda let me know at Nationals that he has a corrected nose in the works for the SH Tempest. I also spoke to the SH folks at Nationals and they told me that the Sea Fury in 1/32 is in the pipeline down the road after the Typhoon. Great news on all fronts! I ant wait for the Sea Fury. I enjoyed the Tempest build so much I bought a second kit at Nationals. SH had a few that had damaged boxes for $70. Couldn't pass up the bargain.

-Shane