New 1/32 Tempest - master photos

Jan_K

Hi guys

Does anyone know when the mk2 will be available? Thats 2 kits now that I've seen now that are in development that have got me drooling a mk2 tempest and a spiteful in 1/32 ,will be raiding the piggybank for sure Loll

Ian

That's the thing....no one really knows when any of these kits will be available....including the manufacturer apparently.  The initial projected release date was around two years ago now. 

It's just a matter of being available when they are available. 

I see online. Cannnt remember who it was, you could pre order the mkv 60 quid I think,reluctant to pay for something that I may wait another year for Loll.the mk2 Is the one I'm after,also seen another beasty that I love the spiteful which is now available in 1\32 hmmmm what to do, sit on my hands or crack on and get the spiteful and do a what if in SEAC

IAN

And at least with the raised rivets you could just sand them off.  I refuse to completely coat a model in putty to correct a problem that should never have been there in the first place.  And "they'll disappear under a coat of paint" has never, ever proven to be true for me.  Especially the scale 2" wide, 1" deep divots so many kits are festooned with these days.  They look like toys.

You know I have to agree with you....It is a lot of work to fill and smooth out a wing or fuselage,done my share of it. and honestly sick of it. large fasteners you can usually see on the real deal,flush rivets usually are invisible or difficult at best to see reproduced in 32nd scale.  Just finished filling and sanding the Tamiya Mustang wing and as subtle as the divots are they wouldn't disappear without a lot of work.couple coats of paint don't do it.ever. And the biggest job for me to date was the Kinetic Sabre Golden Hawk..a "whole jar" of 500,a whole jar! 

Seen some models where the divots enhance the build,and some where the oversized divots just ruined it ..

There are two camps on this subject.. and very widely divided.. Best approach,Build to please one person,yourself.

One last item,I have always liked Hasegawa's approach with their new releases,leaving it to the modeler to add or enhance the surface detail without having to "bury" everything first. unfortunately they seem to be off the chart lately.

Cheer's

Bill.

Edited by williamj

...  There are two camps on this subject.. and very widely divided.. Best approach,Build to please one person,yourself...

And therefore it's great that we (will) have two different offerings from Pacific Coast Models and Special Hobby - one for every taste :piliot:

Now, if the rivet detail of the forthcoming Special Hobby Tempest is (maybe) a bit heavy for some, couldn't the same be said about the (as I heard) well regarded Airfix Typhoon :hmmm: Received mine just a few days ago...

You know I have to agree with you....It is a lot of work to fill and smooth out a wing or fuselage,done my share of it. and honestly sick of it. large fasteners you can usually see on the real deal,flush rivets usually are invisible or difficult at best to see reproduced in 32nd scale.  Just finished filling and sanding the Tamiya Mustang wing and as subtle as the divots are they wouldn't disappear without a lot of work.couple coats of paint don't do it.ever. And the biggest job for me to date was the Kinetic Sabre Golden Hawk..a "whole jar" of 500,a whole jar! 

Seen some models where the divots enhance the build,and some where the oversized divots just ruined it ..

There are two camps on this subject.. and very widely divided.. Best approach,Build to please one person,yourself.

One last item,I have always liked Hasegawa's approach with their new releases,leaving it to the modeler to add or enhance the surface detail without having to "bury" everything first. unfortunately they seem to be off the chart lately.

Cheer's

Bill.

I definitely see what you are saying.  I built a model of the "Strega" pylon racer using the Tamiya kit as the basis.  I had to fill all the wing rivet holes (Strega's wing is filled and polished) and it was a far larger pain in the butt than I expected it to be.

On the other hand though....I think some models look sterile and sort of monolithic without some surface detail, even if the detail is a bit over scale.  The real article is generally covered with texture and ripples and imperfect seams and so forth that I virtually never see captured accurately in plastic...even though I do concur that the rivets are not the most visually apparent feature.

I got to say though that it never ceases to amaze me how polarized and borderline hostile some modelers get on this subject....I mean we are talking about model airplanes!  Build them how you like and let the chips fall where they may!

The PCM kit is pure CRAP for the price I paid for it, it was the first PCM kit I had built and so far the last altho IT was a TEMPEST and I had to have it alot of long and flustrating work went into that kit but I must say it did come out rathert nice.

Paul

Edited by happy1

Greetings,

Sorry to hear that it was a piece of CRAP. Did you have a warped wheel well set and/or an oversized bulkhead? If so, replacement parts are available at no charge. You must be one heck of a modeler to take a piece of CRAP and have it come out "rather nice". Congratulations.

Best Regards,

Ken

PCM, Inc.

The PCM kit is pure CRAP for the price I paid for it, it was the first PCM kit I had built and so far the last altho IT was a TEMPEST and I had to have it alot of long and flustrating work went into that kit but I must say it did come out rathert nice.

Paul

A bit rude, really.......

And I thought you couldn't polish a tu*d, but you seem to think you have, therefore it couldn't have been a tu*d.

QED

Tim

This discussion of rivet detail taks me back to my R/C days and attempting to build scale models out of balsa wood and fiberglass. I once knew a guy in my area that was invited to the "Top Gun" scale invitational competition by none other than Frank Tiano himself. There was one caviot though. He had to refinish his 9' wingspan C-47 (Nick Ziroli Kit) to a more realistic finish. He had made each and every one of the 30,000+ rivets using a tooth pick and white glue. Tiny dabs of dried glue for each rivet. Problem was, as Frank pointed out to him, scaled up his rivets would have been the size of a baseball cut in half and glued to the airplane.

So Roger sanded everything down and started over.

He made it to the competition, won one of the top awards and promptly crashed it on his last demo flight of the day. Roger passed away a few months later from cancer, but he made his dream come true before it took him.

If there is a moral to this story, I guess it would be "Quit complaining, start gluing and have fun! Life is too short!"

Edited by ScottsGT

A bit rude, really.......

And I thought you couldn't polish a tu*d, but you seem to think you have, therefore it couldn't have been a tu*d.

QED

Tim

I agree.

I have the PCM kit, and I am partway through it.  It is not a piece of crap.  While not perfect, it is actually quite good.  After all my years whining about a 1/32 Tempest, I am not going to nit-pick one that is good, and is actually available on the market.

I haven't completely figured out how I am going to get the cockpit assembly into the fuselage, but I am sure I will manage to do so.

Paul

I politely disagree!! The PCM Tempest is an outstanding kit of a very interesting aviation subject! The kit requires some patience, and some skill to plan, build and finish! It is NOT as you describe it!!! It is exactly the kind of kit I enjoy building - it can be what ever you want it to be... highly detailed and weathered or built right out of the box! You can visit my build here: http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=51864

Cheers

Alan

Edited by alaninaustria