ZMS WS03 A-1H Skyraider

Urs

I start here at LSP in the middle of the build of my next project the, A-1H Skyraider from Zoukei-Mura. Some readers in here will surely got a déjà-vu, reading once more a build report of a Skyraider. I know the Skyraider is one of more built a/c on that board. Sorry for that.

Items that I planned tu use for the build:
- Zoukei-Mura SWS3 A-1H Skyraider   

- Zoukei-Mura Cockpit Pimp   
- HGW Seat Belts
- Customized Decalsheet from
Red Pegasus Decals

f28t9644p135766n2.jpg

Edited by Urs

As a real plastic modeller I decided to flip through the pages of the building manual and start with the build somewhere. In this case it was the tail wheel and the tail wheel well. I have to admit I was very surprized by the quality of the moulded parts. After reading several previews about ZM high quality kits which compared them with Tamiya kits I was expecting Tamiya quality. I was in mistake.

So, here my first steps. The tail hook and tail wheel strut as cut out from the sprue. I interpreted that thing as a u-shaped shackle and used a 1mm brass round and 2 PE-nuts to form. sorry using metric on that, but it's a pain to convert any stuff into inches.

Bild1.jpg

Next I turned my attention towards building the wings and guns. Using a 1.5 brass tube which I drilled out to 1.2mm and put a 18 gauge injection needle into it. The gun muzzle is not shown here in the finished condition. I'll show that later.

DSCN0473.JPG

Darkened the inner section of the fuselage bottom with Tamiya XF-1, also the wheel bays. With Tamiya XF-2 I airbrushed the wheel bay interior and slightly weathered it with MIG dark wash.

detswept01.jpg

To close and glue the upper and lower wing section together there are lots a tape and/or cloth pins needed to hold them in position. On displays my Skyraider will be showed with wings in flying position because the folded wing option does hide the cockpit.

swept.jpg

The raw fit of the cockpit brought me down to earth that the overall engineering and moulding quality of that kit is near the Monogram kits of the 80's and 90s. For that high prize of the kit the cockpit is a sheer disappointment. I know the color printed Pe- parts to pimp the pit, but I wanted to have a real one with real switches and levers.

Here the ZM original – kept in mind of the laurels earned on any preview and of the spent money -in my eyes a joke.

orig02.jpg

Aires was my chosen option. Their cockpit is a bijou in resin. Aires 2178: it includes resin parts, beautifully made, a PE-sprue with dashboard and seatbelts and a film for the cockpit gauges.

all01.jpg

boden02.jpg

The Aires cockpit dry fits well into the right position with really, really minor works needed. The bulkhead is slightly modified with PE-parts out of the junk box.Bild6.jpg

The dashboard cover needed some minor extra work to fit in properly caused by the larger size of the Aires part. The silver gray part is the kit part.Bild8.jpg

Bild5.jpg

Edited by Urs

Great start and progress! I enjoyed my build of this aircraft, and it's nice to see another build come together. I'd really like to do it again with the Air Force version, which comes molded in one main color. I think that having the cockpit molded in silver makes the details look even more washed out, and can understand you switching to the Aires version, which looks fantastic in your build.

Cheers, Tom

Great work so far!

Depending on how you want to handle the fiddly wing fold mechanism, I found it wise to lock them down (no folded wings for me) as the mechanism was fiddly and thick at best, and hard as hell to get right, and not very scale at worst.

Harald at AMS also makes a VERY nice IP hood as well.

Looking forward to more.

Guest Peterpools

Urs

Terrific start on the ZM Skyraider. I'll be following with great interest as I started my build quite some time ago but stalled out. Hopefully your build will help get the juices flowing again after my present projects.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

No, that project did not fall asleep.:)

The work on the Aires cockpit come close to be finished. Missing here are the shoulder harness that will attached if the wall and floor will be glued together. The pilot cushion l decided to paint in green instead of the black color mentioned in the ZM manual because cockpit picture rather show a green color. Now l'm at the PE dashboard that came along with the Aires pit.

The bare rods are canopy sliding rails l made from injection needles to replace the plastic parts.

001.jpg

002.jpg

Edited by Urs

great! It will be very interesting to compare this with my Trumpeter kit

you are right about the quality of the ZM cockpit - it does look disappointing. I used the Aires set too.  I assume that you are making a US Navy version? And I am guessing, but a 1950's era machine?