AIMS Ju 388

Pastor John

Hi all thanks for your best wishes, very kind of you. Yes conversion would work with A-1 or A-4 kits - with one you would need me to provide EZ6 and clear cover but only 2x props, with the A-4 kit - 8x props. Started work on exterior cockpit detail, dissected it from rest of kt first. In the photo you may see the periscope tube, rear armour made from dyno tape and external lower canopy frame that stands proad and allows me to provide a helpful way to securing neatly the vac canopy. The frame should extend all the way around but I can not get 2 dimensional plastic card to go around a compound curve so the modeler can tackle that one themselves after canopy is in place i guess? (ooo you can also see flare ejector port)

20140921_1739061_zps95dfad3c.jpg

Edited by Pastor John

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John,

Lovely work - Me want one - Uggh!

One question... Is the cockpit/nose section cast as one piece like the Ju-188?

I notice some doing the Ju-188 in other threads had to cut the nose in half,  to access to the sides of the inside cockpit to super detail that  section.

You 'Sort of' talked about this subject earlier - but still not clear to me... was your idea or approach about the inside cockpit as an extra piece - 'tub' part... to slip inside nose?

I think that would be a better idea.

Anyways...Going to get one of these babies!   :thumbsup:

Phil

Edited by Piprm

Hi Phil,

I understand the issue - more parts more cost obviously and in favour of one piece with side wall detail and crew stations integral the part is more robust for moulding but also it is more spacious than 188 for detailing anyway. The main objection however is that the side walls are already too think - kit thickness plus one thin liner - I have to create the impression that this is thinner and I can do that by making the side wall detail integral with tub - crew station platforms etc can be separate items and radio bank and in fact would be best. I don't know - work in progress but it is frustrating as in this scale you need everything as right as possible and I have a massive published photographic left cockpit wall 'void' from the radio operators knee to the pilots elbow! I just don't want to make it up. Hellllllllllllllllp

Hi John

Here's a layout diagram of the 388 J-1 cockpit. I think that if you look at what is actually laid out along this side, it pretty much replicates what you'd see on the 188 (even the 88). So I'd think the Ju 188 side console would be a good 'pattern' to work from.

15469448751_b049185f82_o.jpg

Here's the key (in German of course)

15285693499_a0eced9ccd_o.jpg

One thing that does seem to have moved away from the side console/wall is the oxygen system. I've seen a photo which shows the regulators on the roof of the 'pit with the oxygen supply tubes running down the framing toward pilot and co-pilot positions...

The 388 is still basically a 'souped up' Ju 88 so you'd expect a lot of the controls to be the same.

Matt

Hi interested parties, well not able to carry on with masters while left hand recovers from op but able in mean time to get decals done inside and out. 5 options will be included to model Production L-1 only. RT+KC, RT+KD, Wk Nr. 340284, 560044, 560049. Profiles to follow in a week or so.

Here is an enlargement of decals for interior.

instruments-enlarged_zpsa3f68449.gif

John,

It is a true pleasure to watch the Aims mastermind creating the Ju388 conversion model!

Only one suggestion, you should really consider to develop the conversion also for the 48 scale, to respond to the demand of probably more collectors. Although the Planet Models full resin kits exist, there might be more than me out there, who dare to build an conversion kit but not a large full resin kit and the Dragon Ju 188 is an excellent base kit for such conversion sets . You could easly start with a simple L-0, K-0 conversion. Our book provides enough photos ;-) ....

Best wishes for this project!

Martin from Vienna