petrov27

Zotz 1/32 Intruders in the Vietnam War ZTZ32-061

Thanks for the kind words on the old Iron Hand hook. However, I've been posting most of the relevant pics on LSP but spread throughout multiple, disparate threads - it would be good to have a pinned A-6 Intruder one to post all relevant reference material in one place.

AGM-45schematic.jpg

I have general arrangements of the AGM-45 and -78 ARM missiles in pdf form which I can't post via PB

Cheers

Tony

Edited by Tony T

some more on the marines sheme:

i have found declassified documents online, the squadron bulletins of 1972. i think i have determined the name on 155679: "Maj. D.E.Cathcart" (Modex 1). the known shot of the plane is at Iwakuni/Japan pre deployment. command changed before deployment to nam phong, so that doesnt help for a bird in action with a loadout.

would the later commanders name (LtCol. J.C. Brown) becarried on Modex 1 afterwards?

There were some very colorful KA-6D color schemes and most of them were A-6A's. One or two of them would have been nice to color the sheet up a bit.  Understand  you only have so much room on the sheet and it is good to see someone doing decals for the A-6. 

There were some very colorful KA-6D color schemes and most of them were A-6A's. One or two of them would have been nice to color the sheet up a bit.  Understand  you only have so much room on the sheet and it is good to see someone doing decals for the A-6.

Are you thinking of colourful KA-6Ds in the otherwise drab tactical paint scheme A-6E TRAM era, 1980s-1990s? I expect they might follow Steel Beach's announced KA-6D conversion set, or the release of Trumpeter's A-6E Intruder kit mid-year (?)

In the 1970s KA-6Ds were no more colourful than the strikers except for a fuselage band in the relevant ATKRON colour, and white drop tanks with coloured tips instead of explosive ordnance slung on coloured tipped MER racks.

The VA-52 A-6B option on the Zotz sheet Patrick and Eli are working on will have the blue knight and lances logos, crew names, and lances for the centreline tank. You can paint the tips of any bomb racks and/or drop tanks blue, and hang bombs or - specific for a 1972 Vietnam WESTPAC - four anti-radar missiles.

All we need are some decent AGM-78s!

Tony

Yes I was. Actually I'd like to do a VA-196 A-6B when aboard the Big E with a couple of AGM-78's on it. You right about decent AGM-78's as it's the only thing stopping me from doing one. Perhaps Harold maybe interested in doing them. Here's a drawing I found from GD:

http://www.varocketry.com/images/Sustainer.jpg

Edited by Ken Stetzenko

Guest Peterpools

Terrific cover art .. of course, what else would we expect?

Peter