Zoukei-mura P-51D/K Mustang IV - marking schemes

Wurzacher

Guest jimmydel

Agreed, Darren. I really want to get my hands on a ZM kit so I can have a go at their style. It will probably end up being the Ho 229

I could not decide which kit to get, either the Tamiya or the ZM 1/32 P-51.

So I got them both!

I agree 100% with you all, two different styles but they are both wonderful.

I have not build a Military model in over 20 yrs, but I wanted to do one of the P-51's my father flew for the

Guatemalan Air force.

The Tamiya is definitely a better kit to build all closed up, but I am going to take advantage of the ZM engineering

and build a naked Mustang. I do plan to build them at the same time and I have no doubt that I am going

to enjoy the process. 

Both kits are incredible as far as detail. I have been building Airliners so I am really amazed with all the photo edge and

aftermarket nick knacks! 

I might just build P-51's from now on! ;)

Walter

I really dont see the need to have an attitude that one is superior so therefor you should only buy that one by definition.

Dear Darren:

Since the above quote seems directed at my post(s), I will offer a rebuttal and If I'm wrong than you have my apologies.  I really don't know how you can infer intent, inflection and/or meaning from a bunch of written text based on what I wrote but in the future, please avoid doing so.  My responses were directed at the poster who indicated that the Tamiya kit only has one version to which I provided overwhelming evidence to the contrary; I have examined the plastic of both Mustang kits (ZM's first release) and based on impartial observations from the plastic included in both kits, the Tamiya offering lends itself much better to other block aircraft than does the ZM kit.  About that, there can be no argument, the proof is in the plastic.  This second release from ZM includes more than did the original release and is more flexible in relation to building other block aircraft but is still found wanting in major block differences such as the instrument panel and subpanel.  The fact that the Tamiya kit allows different block aircraft to be built by providing a greater number of those options pertinent to said block aircraft allows greater flexibility and therefor has greater value to those who want to build a "more accurate" Mustang.  If that means that the Tamiya offering is "superior" then so be it.  Please don't go throwing accusations about intent or inflection where you have no direct knowledge or input.

I'm sure that the ZM RAF release will be very nice and for those that like the build style will be delighted.

Edited by Juggernut

Sorry for being such a bad little boy Juggernaut i promise not to question you in the future..lol.

I think you need to toughen up a little mate.

You come in to the post saying everyone else is wrong and the ZM kit cannot be built into an accurate representation of the RAF Mustang without modification and reading between your lines that the ZM kit is not that good in your esteemed opinion.

All of that based off not owning the kit or having seen it.

Well thats ok everyone has one and entitled to one even if it was done with a crystal ball.

In two posts you deride the ZM kit at every opportunity you can because it only offers one instrument panel.

Given the numerous options offered by ZM many people will be happy with the kit overall and seek an aftermarket panel elsewhere.

I have 6 Tamiya Mustangs in my collection and consider it a lovely kit and a fine representation of the P-51.

However my vision is broad enough to acknowledge that the ZM kit offers features superior in some aspects to Tamiya and in many cases things not even approached by Tamiya.

You may not want buy one but to deride the kit which you dont own and Tamiya will probably never make(F-16 guys have waited 10 years for a F-16D and Phantom guys over 15 for a late slatted E) the bird in hand is always worth 2 Tamiya's in the bush.

Feel free to criticize or demand people to agree with your opinion or further demand them to be silent if they disagree . But like your negative posts highlighting the negatives in the ZM kit others can show the positives or at least highlight that derision as being one sided at best.

In short if you can get a lovely Mustang out of the ZM kit panel or not.

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=41334

OK boys, dial it down a bit thanks. No one needs to take any of this personally. I really don't see the value in arguing over a plastic model kit!

Kev

Yes, you are correct Kevin, but when I am told I have an attitude, that is kind of personal wouldn't you agree? My argument is not over a plastic model per se and Darren's assumptions and inferences are directed soley at me.  Why didn't he tell the other guy that the Tamiya kit CAN be built into different versions or at least agree with what I posted about said versions, since by his own admission, he owns six copies of the Tamiya kit?  Has he not looked at the plastic?   My intentions are objective and as impartial as I can be.  Having said that, my objectivity and intent has been misconstrued and taken completely out of context and I am compelled to attempt to set the record straight although I feel I'll be shoveling sh*t against the rising tide (an American saying for a futile effort).  However, I shall not reply herein as it will not promote the topic of this thread.

Does anyone know if you can purchase ZM sprues separately?  I may look at turning my Tamiya P-51K into an RAF Mustang IV if I can get those louvered intake pieces (and whatever else I may need to convert it from a P-51K into a Mustang IV).  I hope that if available, they're not too expensive. Hmm...they seem to be on a larger sprue containing the Aeroproducts prop, which I don't need but if it's not too expensive, I may bite the bullet and get it anyway.  Close inspection of the ZM parts makes me think I may be able to scratchbuild the louvers.  However, as a third option, if anyone is getting this kit that's not going to build the RAF version, I would appreciate a PM so I might be able to take those parts off your hands.

I really don't even know why I'm asking... The kit and parts will probably sit in a box on my shelf for years only to be sold off when I'm looking to fund something else.  Being a "realistic" modeler sometimes sucks.

Edited by Juggernut

I own P51-D's from both manufacturers ... none built ... but plenty of personal review work done on both plastic and instructions.

Both are excellent kits ... I don't prefer either one over the other as far as quality goes ... pricewise they cost pretty much the same to me also (depending on where I buy either of them from) ...

I'll probably grab one of each again when it comes to the 'K' / IV ... either will build up quite nicely in my opinion.

Rog :)

I already made a Tamiya Mustang and store 2 more Tamiya 60323 Pacific Mustangs. I have to say that kit is a bijou. Actually got the ZM Skyraider on my bench and l'm annoyed about the quality of the molded parts, there missing crisp detail and not more than just moderate fit. I would expect ZM Mustang would not be even that better than their Skyraider. IMHO Tamiya's kits a way -by far - than the ZM ones. Without rethinking over l would suggest to buy a Tamiya kit if it goes to build a Stang.

Edited by Urs

• 2 weeks later...

Been looking at the ZM Mustang 4 i picked up in Tokyo.

One major thing i havnt seen mentioned is it has the clean wing.

No rivets and no panel lines where they are not supposed to be it appears.

With the Tamiya parts paid out in all there glory this thing is very very close behind and without a riveted wing would be my goto choice if you want a factory fresh clean wing P-51.

Price in Tokyo was 9000Â¥ with Tamiya D's being 8800 and K's a touch more at 9400.

I think ZM would sell quite a few more with a big weapons sprue etc.

Overall ill be grabbing another couple to do clean wing Mustangs.

Edited by Darren Howie