Vintage Revell...

xmh53wrench

Hope this hasnt been covered...

There is just something that speaks to the "little kid modeler" in me about an old Revell kit.  Ok, old to me, because I am sure Sculpter will have much to offer here that is older than the kits that I have, and there is not a single thing wrong with that.

I dont care if its automotive or airplane there is just something about these old kits.  Of course I am not necessarily talking about the Revell-Germany kits and re-issues, but if ya'll want to include them here thats up to you, but we might as well keep it LSP.

I love opening a package thats been sitting patiently waiting for me all day on my front stoop, and out slides a vintage Revell kit.  And the huge bonus is upon opening up the box (as not many have arrived still in their sealed exterior wrap) is the original instructions, decals and "back in the day" advertisements for kits, books or even records......sweeeetttt!!!!  The only thing better is one of these treasures sitting on a table in some remote garage sale for the outrageous asking price of a buck or two.

There is something so basic about these kits, so primal, and yet they usually pose challenges all their own.  Whether its dealing with primitive detail, some off dimensions or shapes, 40 year old decals, a musty odor of some strangers basement, or severely twisted lower wing panels that it takes some real creativity to tweak them back into shape.

Growing up Revell was the Cadillac of modeling to me, and always a real treat when I built one.  Maybe not the Caddy of today, but I still consider them a treat, and treasure each one and the grin of a 13 year old they bring out in me.

So lets see what you ya'll have, the older and more obscure the better, and dont forget to include those advertisements!

CAM02398_zpsa7abeafd.jpg

CAM02397_zps01157b37.jpg

CAM02399_zps9b0e6b23.jpg

CAM02396_zps1e4a6613.jpg

Hello,

Ihave the old Mustang P-51 B III

and a 1/48 P-51 B   Ding Hao

from 73 

Like the old ones too

little anvy of your stash.

Cheers

Boris

Edited by BGB

Remember the iron-on transfers from some of the old Revell 1/28 scale WW1 aircraft kits? You  could have your mother iron them onto a T shirt.

You sure do not get good stuff like that today. Now you get 300 tiny little parts, most of which you will never see once the kit is assembled.

Ah, the good old days. :punk:

Stephen

This is the one that does it for me, albeit 1/72...

http://www.scalemates.com/products/img/1/7/6/143176-12155.jpg?nr=h-202&company=revell&name=avro%20lancaster%20dambuster

The smell of tube glue and Humbrol paints. The wonder, for a 7 year old, of the model shop in the Arcade in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne in 1965: better than any sweet shop.

In 1/32 it's the ca.1970 Revell 1/32 Stuka with the big snake (remember motorising that one and adapting a battery into a c/l bomb!):

http://www.oldmodelkits.com/jpegs/Revell%20H298%20Stuka%20Exc.JPG

Tony

Edited by Tony T

A pleasing, pleasant, gentile reminder of when modeling was done purely for fun and though striving for accuracy and realism it was limited by skill and desire to "finish"! :crying:

Barry

Barry,

I do not know how to tell you this but I never left that 1950's era of model making.

Although I am impressed by the manufacturer's and modelers who strive to put as much accurate detail into their models, with hundreds of parts which will never be seen once the kit is completed, I will not build my models that way because it is tedious work and I do not enjoy it. To me a person would have to be either a damn fool or more than a bit neurotic to do something as a hobby that he does not enjoy just because most everyone else is doing things that way. 

I simply walk behind a different drummer. Come to think of it, I was a drummer in the high school and and orchestra and in the high school and college ROTC.

I build for myself, not to keep up with the current mode for modeling.

I do not disparage der "details-und-akkuracy-uber-alles crowd, and I like what they produce, it is just I am not one of them.

Why? because I build for two reasons, for the fun of it and to get a representative model of that particular airplane in 1/32 scale.

In terms of accuracy If the model looks like that airplane from three feet away it is accurate enough for me. So the early Revell 1/32 kits, along with the Hasegawa and Monogram and Matchbox and Williams Brothers and the various vacuform models of the 1980's and 1990's are fine for me.

If a hobby is not fun it is work. If I do not enjoy what I am doing I try not to do it.

I am retired and all I want to do at my age is set a rockin' on mah rockin' chair on mah front porch with mah dog, "Dawg" settin' 'long side mah chair 'n a 'jug of white lightnin' and mah thutty-thutty Winchester model 94 lever action by mah side 'n build my sculpture and models mah way. Ah jes wanna enjoy what I am doin'.

As Frank Sinatra used to sing, "I do it my way."

Stephen

I call these "Classis Plastic"........................Any pre-1980 it is included and I sponsor an award at our contest for entries. 

I started out on Aurora, Hawk, Lindburg and still build them today........Just finished a small Aurora F-104  Foiled it too.

I look for these type of kits to "Get back to my Roots"  I know they won't win at a contest but I want the Under 40 crowd

to see what it's  missing.......Give me an old Monogram Helldiver........Not necessarily accurate ......but fun to dive bomb the enemy

carpet navy with..............plus they taught me patience to glue ( no super then) tape and rubber band things together 

and let them dry so the moving parts would work.

Ok  now to LSP size kits, I remember when I found Revells P-47 D bubble top for $3.00 BIG ones, I had never pay so  

handsome a price for a model. Man what a BIG bast&$% it was. I think you can buy it now for less then I paid?

My favorites that I have today are the Hein and Raiden both Revell Japan kits, the MOSSIE is really a nice kit

Hurricanes,  Lightning's and Mustang's..  oh my..  oh yes....................................................... PHANTOM's too.

Then came the F-86 from a foreign land and BLEW US AWAY...........both in detail and in cost......had to save

a crap load of money,but managed two buy 2 with in a year.........Painted one blue for the Fury no tail hook

Still love my old kits and I buy to build so I don't pay for perfect boxes ( my 104 was is in a paper bag someone

wrote F-104 Starfighter 15 cents) but I paid more.

If their is a Group Build anytime soon for these, I'm THERE!

My favorite is the Revell Skyraider   the working parts are fabulous,  Slide the centerline bomb the landing gear 

rotate and retract, drop the elevators and the dive brakes pop out, drop flaps, open the cowling fold the wings

The Good ol'Days  when we got'em, built'em, played with 'em, broke'em, fixed 'em, burned'em, firecrackered'em

Thanks For the MEMORIES!

jack

As a youngster brought up on a mainly Airfix diet - I used to love the Revell 1:72 3 in 1 kits - you got alternative markings and parts to build different versions - that was very exotic and sophisticated!  :)

Iain (with a lot of old Revell 1:32 stuff in the loft)

I just had a thought. Some people enjoy a hobby that challenges them. They enjoy mastering a process and the struggle to triumph is what gives them satisfaction. For them, making a model with all the details is a large part of what they enjoy. For someone who feels that way meeting the challenge of producing an accurate model with all the parts, even those that will be  hidden in the completed model is what gives them a sense of accomplishment and they enjoy that.

So those guys and gals are really making their models for the same reason I am. Namely, to get enjoyment from doing it.

In that sense, except for the end product, there is little to distinguish between modelers like them and modelers like me.

What is a mistake is when a modeler follows the wrong drummer. When a modeler makes a model the way others enjoy but he himself does not like then he is torturing himself. The trick here is for the modeler to stand back and ask himself why he is making the model in the first place and why is he making it that particular way. Does he really want to build a model that way or is he forcing himself to do it that way because he feels he must. Then ask, why must he?  This conflict may be the reason some guys drop out of modeling, or just start a kit and then quit it.

Stephen

Took me a while to find it, but I had started a similar subject here back in 2009, here. The old box art does indeed bring me some very pleasant memories. Meanwhile, I'm searching for something similar still, buried here in the forums somewhere.

Too right Stephen!

I love the challenge, don't do anything simple as you have seen in the past but, when when you conquer the kit, you have a sense of pride in doing so. The old Revell kits are great but can be quite a challenge, especially whenchopping and converting but, if you persvere, you have something that maybe nobody else will have a replica of. However, its nice to do somthing almost out of the box after a few difficult builds just to give a break before the next awkward build  ;)

Great stuff guys!!

I dont have much interest in building Axis stuff so that really limits my world on whats out there.

Typhoon, thanks for the link, great thread.

I have enough of a stash to keep me busy for a very long time, but I wonder if there are some MUST HAVES in Revell's vintage 1/32 lineup?

Out of my stash the Bubbletop P47 may fit that distinction.