Plastic or metal gear?

Hardcore

I just picked up the Eduard Brassin gear legs for the new 1/32nd Revell Bf 109. Not a strength issue, per se, more towards the less fiddly nature of the brass legs and the ease of cleaning them up vs. the kits legs.

However, if I was working on the Trumpeter F-105 in 1/32nd, then aftermarket gear legs a must in my opinion. The kit legs are just too long and spindly to support the weight of the finished kit and are begging to be broken. G Factor a must here.

Basically, this is a case by case basis in my opinion. Most 1/32nd scale plastic kit gear legs are more than satisfactory to support the finished model.

Just my humble opinion...

Mark Proulx

Heaven knows how much lead weight I put in the noses of my 1/32 P.38 and Hawk but I used white metal legs on both. I have stood both on squares of green felt and so far, no splaying. The original kit legs on the P.38 collapsed as soon as I sat her on her feet.

I do have used metal gear once, but as substitutes for lost ones belonging to a 1/48 kit.

Of course a fellow club member managed to crush it under a heap soon after! One leg got bent, but that was all damage there was to it.

On the Sabre I'm working on now, I added 50 grams of weight to make sure it stands on it's feet. I am a bit worried that the plastic gear will not support the weight over the years. W

Peter

It will be fine, my Sabre build is about four years old now and the gear is fine