1/18 Scale P-38 Lightning

JayW

"I smell....completion in the wind.."

You are right Ironwing, you are right. But first -

I had another aileron to fab and assemble:

001_zpsblptq05g.jpg

It was just like the other one only opposite hand. Turned out just fine.

In parallel with the aileron effort as the heavy duty stuff on the RH wing - new aileron cutout, big hole for the fuel filler cap, nav lights (green), paint, decals, etc:

010_zpse2vcs9xi.jpg

And then it was done. Prior to final assembly, here is the whole shebang just waiting:

011_zpsxnvl8edo.jpg

Well, the props are on the other table....

And then, after two and a half years,I present to you Lucky Lady:

012_zpsefpqcgt9.jpg

015_zpssseuplwj.jpg

018_zpsk6hiyqg0.jpg

016_zpsejavtono.jpg

I apologize for not yet having a suitable surrounding for this beast. But it has been finished only a few hours. And I wanted to get the news out to you all. When I document it for LSP, I will give it something more worthy.

And BTW - my next project. But think I will take a little time off. This build was really taxing and really long. Next post will be some closeups.

WOW, 2 1/2 years, now I don't feel so bad about my Tomcat conversion going on 3 years. AMAZING JOB !!

Steve

Jay,

Congratulations on the completion of this mega-project of a mega-model!  Your scratch-building of so many parts makes this build not only unique, but so much better than what you started out with.  My hat is off to you not only for the quality of your detailed and complicated work, but also for your perseverance, because I know at times this project must have seemed more like work than pleasure.  I'm really looking forward to your next project!

Cheers,

Chuck

Chuck you mention all the scratch building - yeah that was it.  That's what takes 2+ years.  Any OOB model that we want to be the best it can be usually involves scratch building of some kind.  The lure of these 21CT models is their size.  But being essentially toys with thier inaccuracies, and their very size, just explodes the statement of work for scratch built parts.  I mean thousands - the MLG doors and scissor mechanisms are a perfect example.   That and the wheel wells.  Ironic that this thing is so large that it will pratically never be tunred upside down such that all that detail can be seen.  Mabe I will set it on a mirror, but I have seen that before and don't really like the effect much. 

I'll tell you where the scratch building really paid off was the cockpit, canopy enclosure, and LG.  Fun too.

Thanks all for the very kind comments!

• 3 weeks later...

More pics you say?  OK - I took some (amateurish) pics that I will use for the multi-part article I am going to get going on soon.  Here they are:

DSC04807_zpsmrr3vi7d.jpg

DSC04808_zpshxffnxpb.jpg

DSC04809_zpsqmuhadow.jpg

DSC04810_zpsnsdvoyjj.jpg

DSC04811_zpstwlbhojn.jpg

DSC04812_zps6jaqhwxb.jpg

DSC04813_zpsavrxsizn.jpg

DSC04814_zps1qfqno6t.jpg

DSC04815_zpsirszumoe.jpg

DSC04816_zpszgllzkvq.jpg

If I counted right, that's all I can put in this post.  More coming.  

BTW - sorry for the lousy back yard background!  Just concentrate on the P-38.

And the last of them:

DSC04829_zpsmwnw6s8z.jpg

DSC04830_zpsowx8ox1i.jpg

DSC04831_zpsbsbrw4w4.jpg

DSC04832_zps9enrkudp.jpg

You know, I have seen what many of you can do with a model.  Incredible scratch building, painting, panel lines and rivets, weathering, etc.  I lack alot of those skills.  But I'll tell you what I can do - and that is to make a model look accurate.  What I have here is a P-38 that looks like a P-38 without a doubt.  And it came from a toy.  For that I am proud enough. 

That's just about it for this thread.  Stay tuned for an article sometime soon, which won't be nearly as tedious as this long thread.  I thank all of you who have been following patiently for literally years.  Oh - also stay tuned for my P-47 in 1/18!

Jay, I'm speechless. What a great model, you've really turned out a masterpiece. I love the detailing everywhere - from the cockpit to the gear legs to the fastener detail on the nacelles, which just looks like the real thing. I'm still in awe of what you did on the gear bay doors though ... glad to see the in some of the photos. Just phenomenal. Congratulations.

Jim

JW,

A long time coming for certain and worth every ounce of effort. A stellar example when skill and ingenuity come together...it sure doesn't look like a toy anymore Bud. Sierra Hotel

Geoff