1/18 Scale P-38 Lightning

JayW

• 2 weeks later...

The reason I have not posted progress is that I have decided to do up the wheel wells more completely than I originally planned.  This involves more research, and more computer modelling.  So I don't have that much to show for it yet.  It;s a mess in there, and it has to be right, so I am being careful.  When finished you will see alot of stuff that other modellers (I think) don't bother with.  Patience, I have just about everything I need to proceed now.

Well Jerry - I was talking about the main gear wells!  And you say the nose gear well is especially busy.  Thanks for the heads up!!  Challenge accepted.  I will find out about that in the coming months. 

Guest Peterpools

Totally amazed at the level of detail, engineering and craftsmanship. Simply brilliant work

Keep 'em coming

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's been a while. Summer has alot of activity that has nothing to do with modelling! However - I have actually put alot of time into the P-38 effort.

First, I now have an opposite hand wheel well to go along with the first, at the same level of (non)completeness - here is proof:

001_zps07b477bf.jpg

Also, work has begun on the aft bulkhead. What you see here is the aft part of the clamshell door mechanism with the hydraulic actuator, a track that a small carriage runs up and down on, a pulley bracket at the bottom of the track, and some cables made from fishing line. The assembies are designed to accept the wierd shape of the 21CT wheel well at the aft end. All this is made from simple plastic sheet stock, or aluminum tube for the actuators:

002_zps37b0c4aa.jpg

003_zpsaa4f29c3.jpg

The black hole is for that big radiator tube that most P-38 fans know about.

Next is to fab and install the two upper pulley brackets along the sides of the upper track. You can see some of the little details on the masking tape. The they all get installed into the wheel well. I haven't decided what to do next, but it will probably be the turbo-supercharger oil tank.

It could be interpreted from my last post that the carriages actually run up and down the tracks on this model!  Not so.  It's going to be difficult in the extreme to just have the cable runs and the door mechanism glued in a static position.  :)

Also, P-38 experts will ask - what about the shroud that goes over the door actuation clap trap?  Well it's coming too.  You will see it in my next post. 

JW

Im glad you pointed out that you had posted an update, I completely missed it. The pool house is sucking down my hours by the mouthful. This behaving like an adult is getting long in the tooth.

Anyway, despite the glacial posting rate, what youre doing is ground breaking. I know youre working your butt off, at times grinding your teeth, and maybe questioning what youve gone and stepped in. Trust me when I say, and I doubt anyone would disagree, your work, thus far, is just out in front. It takes time to do these things and every moment youve spent has paid off handsomely. Stay the course, its all just sierra hotel....

G

Ps,

I knew you couldnt leave those wells devoid of details. Neurosis is such an insideous and deeply embedded thing.  :)

Thanks for the underserving complements.  I did a boo-boo, full disclosure.  I found not two days after installation that the rectangular electrical box you see on both bulkheads is only supposed to be present on one of them (the RH one).  The LH bulkhead has a different shaped box, smaller and further up near the top of the well.  Grrrr - I tried to pop it off but it's glued on there really good.  Either I ignore it and move on (in which case I probably should not have let the LSP world know about it - only some of you would know the error), or try to get that thing dremmeled off without damaging the closely adjacent stuff.

I will give it some thought - I tell you, and many of you already know, this kind of modelling is a sort of insanity.  I will also try to get some more things done (like finish and install the aft bulkheads adorned with the proper systems components, but Tour de France just started up which is something I watch every year.  Three weeks!!  For sports fans, this time of year can absolutely cripple one's abiity to get things done! 

Don't go away!

"...and the Undercarriage is the biggest let down on this Model."

You are so right Studly.  But I have a tiger by the tail.  We shall see how this turns out.  One thing that is going to happen here is that the model is going to want to tip on its tail.  If the Trumpeter is any indication, it's going to take alot of balast up front to keep the nose down.  The end product will be a pretty heavy model.  But I will say that the way I have built the main LG, they are quite sturdy, at least the main shock struts.  The drag struts are not as sturdy - they are only as strong as that latice work structure that supports them inside the wheel well.  And tehy will help support the model too, with that prominent rake angle the main gear have.  I have however backed all that up with a block of plastic hidden in back of the triangle fittings hopefully out of sight.

Thanks for looking in from down unda!