Help needed - Saab JA-37(I) Viggen

Rainer Hoffmann

Dear fellow modellers,

some of you may have followed my build of a JA-37 D(I) Jaktviggen in the ongoing "Anything but injection moulded" GB. Unfotunately this build is flawed by a severe lack of trustworthy references. I especially need more information on the following subjects:

- Cockpit. I do have many pictures but few of the JA-37 D(I) variant

- Ejection seat. The pics I have are, let's say, inconsistent. Dimensions would be very welcome

- Pylons. No info at all

- Stencils and markings

- fuselage cross sections. The more I look at pictures the more doubts I have  that my own drawings are even remotely correct.

I have searched the internet, of course, but the above points are still not solved. So if anyone can point me to (additional) sources of reference I would be very grateful.

I do have the following books:

- "Flygplans-Ritningar 2" by björn Karlström

- "Saab Viggen" by Robert F. Dorr

- The AirDoc book on the Viggen

I know that there is a new book on the Viggen by Squadron Signal. Can anyone tell me if it answers one of the open points?

Thanks for your help!

Rainer

Edit: Changed "JA-37 (I)" to "JA-37 D(I)"

Edited by Rainer Hoffmann

Hi Rainer,

I have loaned two of the three books that you have mentioned on the Viggen and I may also have loaned some other titles as well. If the book owners do not mind, I shall look through them and scan anything of use for you (I am very busy, so this may take my a little time to accomplish).

Derek

Was ist die JA-37(I) für eine Variante?

Ich krame mal die Tage meinen CD-Vorrat durch. Vielleicht habe ich ja doch noch ein Backup mit älteren Bildern aus Linköping. Evtl. auch aus Nyköping, wo eine Aufklärungsstaffel war, die ein Museum hinterlassen hat. Ich kann da aber nichts versprechen. Bücher habe ich leider nichts, was Du nicht schon hättest.

Gruesse!

- dutik

The Squadron/Signal book has a couple of nice photos of the RS 37 ejection seat. Also some nice pit shots of the JA-37C

Thanks Kev, I'll buy it. Everything helps.

Was ist die JA-37(I) für eine Variante?

Ich krame mal die Tage meinen CD-Vorrat durch. Vielleicht habe ich ja doch noch ein Backup mit älteren Bildern aus Linköping. Evtl. auch aus Nyköping, wo eine Aufklärungsstaffel war, die ein Museum hinterlassen hat. Ich kann da aber nichts versprechen. Bücher habe ich leider nichts, was Du nicht schon hättest.

Gruesse!

- dutik

Danke dutik, das wäre sehr nett.

It should read : JA-37 D (I). The I denotes a modification that was introduced to enable communication with other NATO aircraft and the external differences are two additional antennae on the spine.

Cheers

Rainer

Done.

I have images of the equipment compartments inside the nose of the recce Viggen. I guess that is not that much of help here. A half dozen images from inside the u/c bay. I think it`s the Viggen. But if you need them I will upload them to a server and post them.

The pre-reconstruction images from Linköping are gone by the wind. The post-reconstruction images of the modern jet hall are useless, because the room is too dark and most of the birds are hanging above at the ceiling. I hate that kind of museum display :wacko:

I have a lot of Lansen images and some Tunnan too. Even a complete Tunnan cockpit put on display outside of the fuselage. Lot of other airplanes used by swedish AF. Italians, Spitfire, Mustang, helos. But Viggen - see above plus the former posted images only :(

Regards

- dutik

Done.

I have images of the equipment compartments inside the nose of the recce Viggen. I guess that is not that much of help here. A half dozen images from inside the u/c bay. I think it`s the Viggen. But if you need them I will upload them to a server and post them.

The pre-reconstruction images from Linköping are gone by the wind. The post-reconstruction images of the modern jet hall are useless, because the room is too dark and most of the birds are hanging above at the ceiling. I hate that kind of museum display :wacko:

I have a lot of Lansen images and some Tunnan too. Even a complete Tunnan cockpit put on display outside of the fuselage. Lot of other airplanes used by swedish AF. Italians, Spitfire, Mustang, helos. But Viggen - see above plus the former posted images only :(

Regards

- dutik

Danke für Deine Mühe, dutik. Very much appreciated. If you can supply th u/c pics I'll be happy. Anything helps.

Derek, feel free to scan my stuff and pass on copies to Rainer. I want to see this beast finished!

Tim

Thanks a lot, Tim! But don't expect "this beast" to be finished soon. It won't make it to the finish line of the ABIM GB. That much is for sure!

Cheers

Rainer

have you tried asking here:

http://www.ipmsstockholm.se/phpBB3/index.php

some of the best Viggen-people in the world is there... most of them are more or less fluent in english, some speak german.

A lot of them have worked with the system.

good luck!

/L

Thanks for the tip. Lars. I'll definitely give it a try!

Ich poste die Bilder in deinen WIP. Brauche aber ein paar Tage, alles hochzuladen und weiterzuverlinken.

- dutik

Prima! Und keine Eile, ich baue seeehr langsam.

Cheers

Rainer