cutting thin copper wire without messing up the ends?

I want to cut some soft copper wire that is .3mm in diameter (pretty thin). Normally I would just use a wire cutter to cut it, but the problem with the wire cutter is it leaves the end all crimped and smooshed! 

Does anyone out there have a good method for cutting wire this thin that leaves the end relatively square and not sqaushed? 

Thanks in advance, chuckT.

Guest Jessie_C

I just use my cuticle scissors if it's really thin. There's a tiny bit of a lip left when the metal shears, but much less than the mess left by wire cutters.

• 1 year later...

Last time I was at Hobby Lobby, sorry if they're not in your area, but I ran across this little tool in the bead jewelry section as I was looking for small gauge wire and they had a tool that touched up the end of a cut wire. I didn't find it on the Hobby Lobby site but I did find it here http://www.beadalon.com/pc_product_detail.asp?key=B6EA2B0E98E0490EB64A3E5442061F6E, I might have to pick one up. At least you wouldn't have to worry about snipped ends anymore.

For micro tube (about 0.5mm diameter), i use a razor saw so i dont crush it.

Rolling such tubing under a curved Xacto blade really works well. Took me a while to get the hang of the technique, but it's pretty effective. It's just not very precise, unfortunately.

Kev