1/32 Tamiya Spitfire MkXVIe RACER 6

Maurice

Masterful work there Maurice!!! quick question, what gloss coat do you use because it looks absolutely flawless???

Thank you guys for the kind words, they are much appreciated. :piliot:

I use Pledge acrylic floor finish. It got some Future on it. I found it in local markets. I apply at least 2 coats and make sure it is glossy enough for decals application and Flory wash. Wash with Flory can be messy if the surface is somewhat rough. 

12654940965_b3dd307224_z.jpg

Edited by Maurice

Beautiful work Maurice! Your paint job has somewhat restored my faith in pre-shading (which I don't really favour these days).

Kev

Kev,

I ensure preshading is fine along panel lines, that's the key, IMHO, to make it worth. I don't preshade only, I post as well, both techniques together, from my perspective, help me to better control different shades and not rely in post shade only.

I believe I can achieve same results with post shade only but I will have to try it in a less expensive kit. Anyhow, I enjoy airbrushing and preshade is a relaxing technique. Just a personal point of view, not necessarily a general rule of course.

Best mate

Edited by Maurice

Guest Peterpools

Maurice

I've tried Future a few times and sometimes it works well and sometimes, comes out like sandpaper. Any suggestions on psi and thinning?

Also, always wondered when we say for example 20 psi, is that starting pressure or working pressure.

Thnks

Peter

Good stuff Peter.

I go with 15 psi starting pressure ( I guess you refer to the one read in the gauge without spraying)  

Keep the spray distance I would say 20 cm of surface, and I put full throttle (trigger) downwards and backwards. I dont thin the Pledge, it's applied straight from the bottle. I spray at least 2 coats, some times 3 or 4 in some areas without letting it dry. there is visual inspection between coats. I trust in the self leveling properties of that fluid.

Up to now this has been working for me, though I started modelling last September after I would say 12 years break. I've made 11 models since then and for all of them worked well.

Regarding my gear, I'm using an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS and a Silentaire 20A compressor lubricated with oil. It comes with all the required stuff. I don't know but I have a bad feeling about those oilless compressors. I have to say that this compressor is terrific, makes less noise than my refrigerator, It's steep in price but I believe I made a good investment, I've read reviews about people using it after 15 years and it's still running at top efficiency, oil change ever 12 months though. 

Best

Edited by Maurice

Klear kote matte aplied and yellow band with racer 6 finished. More post, exhaust stains, and belly leaks stains done.  

Next landing gear and aerial antenna.

Thanks for checking in :piliot:

12663605635_3999890528_z.jpg

12664058234_ee59721083.jpg

12664052494_69f9f62e27_z.jpg

12663707903_f6c75b8ca7.jpg

12664046994_3a76f3f2fe_z.jpg

12663591685_e87aa10634_z.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Maurice

Thank you for the help and info. I never had much success with Future but will give it another try using your numbers.  we're shooting witht eh same air brush, so it looks like it's just practice and practice.

Holy Cow, the spit looks tremendous. Absolutely love it.

Keep 'em coming

Peter