1/32nd Pilatus PC-7 from Scratch - 07/04 Spinner & Air Intakes

Fabster

Second Part, as promised.  Here's an image of the actual wheel well to give you an idea of what I needed to (more or less) accomplish next.

As you can see, I ganged up 2 separate pictures in Photoshop to create one single, constant view for reference while i created these components:

MainWheelWell_zpsefaaea52.jpg

First off, I created a basic box with ribs and spars using thick sytrene square rods for strength and to give the thinner plastic sheet meant for the skin of the wing, a good area to glue to.  I drew the wells' opening and cut them out. So far so good and things moved along pretty much as planned.

DSCN2612_zps5e0e15d7.jpg

DSCN2616_zpsf845ee77.jpg

DSCN2621_zpsb3488b12.jpg

Next step was to scratchbuild the wells themselves, trimming little squares and circles which I blended with the surface by applying several coats of Weld-On glue. By doing this, i melted their squared-off edges and created softer, round edges that literally blended with the roof and walls of the wells.  Right now they look kind of ugly but I am sure once under a coat of paint everything will visually level and look much better, hopefully.

DSCN2828_zpsa5be22a5.jpg

DSCN2892_zps4865c1cd.jpg

DSCN2838_zpsd7378ed1.jpg

Once the finished wheel well was presented to the under wing skin opening, everything started to look the part.:

DSCN2862_zpsdae8fef5.jpg

DSCN2859_zps63b5bf83.jpg

DSCN2855_zpsbea91733.jpg

Conclusion comes, next.   Thanks for stopping by. I hope I am not too repetitive and boring you to dead with so many images and write-ups!

Fab

Third and FINAL part about the Wheel wells, I promise!  

At this point, both wells were done and it was time to permanently attach them to the frame and wrap the skin around them.  In the end and after seeing these images, I thought the width of the plastic skin was a little to thick so I created it again with a sheet half as thin as the original version. It worked much better for scale effect but it didnt retain the straightness of the leading edge so I carbed a core in balsa wood for the complete leading edge section (I ended getting rid of the front part of the center rib in order to do this) and glued it to the skin with 2 part epoxy before wrapping the center box assembly with it  and which worked so much better after all the hassle.

Unfortunately, somehow I managed to accidentally delete the entire last set of images from my camara (the ones about the balsa core, etc) before downloading them so you'll be spared of having to deal with a few more images in this part of this weekend's post.  Lucky you!  LOL

DSCN2916_zps30914957.jpg

DSCN2920_zps3c55704d.jpg

DSCN2914_zpse665ffb2.jpg

DSCN2923_zps886647d8.jpg

Thanks every one.  I hope you like it so far and see you in a few more days, hopefully with images of the rest of the wing completed.

Greetings!

Fab

Thanks a lot for all of your nice comments, guys!

Craig, you're welcome to "steal" any idea I'm applying to this project. Rest assured I am doing the same with your own innovations on the Vampire job!  LOL

Fabian,

From the concept in your mind to paper line drawing to the actual part is MOST INNOVATIVE and quite IMPRESSIVE ....

It's looks pretty amazing .... Keep up the excellent work...

Your work oozes EXCELLENCE ..
You :punk:

:bow:

Thanks a lot, Maru!   I am pretty sure this is not the proper nor the best way to approach a scratch-building project but so far it is working for me so until I "re-invent the wheel" I guess I'll keep using this method!   :whistle:

Edited by Fabster

Something I just noticed Fabian; I think that the six  rectangular shaped areas to the right of the wheel well bay with the dimple centres in the above photograph may actually be in relief (recessed) as opposed to protruding or proud as you have modelled them? Nonetheless, this does not detract in any way whatsoever the skill and excellence of your scratch building or the techniques that you employ - I have very much enjoyed it thus far and I am learning much from you; please keep up the good work.

Regards

Derek

Something I just noticed Fabian; I think that the six  rectangular shaped areas to the right of the wheel well bay with the dimple centres in the above photograph may actually be in relief (recessed) as opposed to protruding or proud as you have modelled them? Nonetheless, this does not detract in any way whatsoever the skill and excellence of your scratch building or the techniques that you employ - I have very much enjoyed it thus far and I am learning much from you; please keep up the good work.

Regards

Derek

Hi, Derek.  I really appreciate your reply and the kind words about my progress with this project. I am glad to know you've enjoyed it and find it worthy of being followed.  

I went on and double checked my reference pictures and I believe what you see as recessed detail is a trick on the eye caused by the lights and shadows created because of the angle this picture was taken from?   Check out these other images I have and help me confirm they are actually raised  ...or not?!!

Honestly, i dont think I would attempt fixing this issue since I would have pretty much to take everything apart in order to do so.  ouch!    :wacko:

What do you think?

DSC00028_zpsdac3a0b9.jpg

DSC00033_zps55b90283.jpg

Cheers,  Fabian

Edited by Fabster

Guest Peterpools

Fab

Beautiful work on the wheel well assembly of the build. Thoroughly enjoying both yo r thought process and engineering creativity.

Keep 'em coming

peter

Hi, Derek.  I really appreciate your reply and the kind words about my progress with this project. I am glad to know you've enjoyed it and find it worthy of being followed.  

I went on and double checked my reference pictures and I believe what you see as recessed detail is a trick on the eye caused by the lights and shadows created because of the angle this picture was taken from?   Check out these other images I have and help me confirm they are actually raised  ...or not?!!

Honestly, i dont think I would attempt fixing this issue since I would have pretty much to take everything apart in order to do so.  ouch!    :wacko:

What do you think?

DSC00028_zpsdac3a0b9.jpg

DSC00033_zps55b90283.jpg

Cheers,  Fabian

You are correct Fabian - those additional photographs make it very clear that they are protrusions and not recessed; it's quite amazing how light and angle can trick the eyes. Great work.

Derek