Revell Heinkel He 162

dennismcc

After doing a quick build last year which I thoroughly enjoyed I decided to do the same this year, the "victim" again is a cheap Revell kit, the subject is one that I would not normally build and know very little about so I will not agonise over accuracy issues.

A quick look through the stash found several candidates, all Revell and all Luftwaffe which I normally do not build, the Ju 88 was too big, I would have to extend my shelf again as I did on last years quick build (Revell He 219), an Arado 196 and a Heinkel He 162. The latter caught my attention and it was duly retrieved from the loft.

D2V6Xk.jpg

My very limited Luftwaffe reference collection yielded theses two useful books.

KvR0i7.jpg

My decal and mask collection contained this.

mkhY6R.jpg

And so we set off, I have got far enough in the build now to know that I will finish it hence this thread.

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by dennismcc
Replaced blurred Photobucket photos

Well I wouldn't get too exited this will be a simple, quick, and semi OOB build. I looked for some seat belts and came across this at Hannants

6VX6UT.jpg

Seat, bulkhead and Eduard seat belts all for £10.

Then as is my usual practice I started to cut up the sprues, leaving each part with one attachment point and it's part number still attached, not quite finished here.

rdaZC7.jpg

Then it was out with the RLM 02 (White Ensign Colourcoats) and RLM 66  (Humbrol H32) for some mass painting.

5XltC6.jpg

CPR7zT.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by dennismcc

As you can see above I painted the kit seat and bulkhead as well as the Airwaves resin parts, the resin parts while they looked very nice were quite fragile and I was worried about how robust they would be when fitted so Plan B was brought into action and the kit seat and bulkhead were used with the Eduard seat belts. The latter went together really well even though the instructions were the wrong ones, the numbers on the diagrams differed from the numbers on the fret, in the end I used instructions from the Eduard website that were clearer though still had the wrong numbers.

The instrument panel and side consoles were painted and detailed using the kit decals and a mixture of MDC and Airscale dials and placards, my cunning plan for the IP failed, I painted the whole dials yellow or red so that when I applied the decals the coloured rim would show, however the decals were larger than the molded dials so the painted rims disappeared.

5ufmvK.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by dennismcc

nice start Den, lately  I completed the same kit, if you want, you can see my work in the gallery.

I have a question to you, why did you paint engine cowls in RLM 02, as far as I know you should have painted it aluminum, in the end of the WW2 many parts were not painted because of lack of paint and time.

Thanks guys, this is just a fun quick build so I am not getting too excited about details, I must admit that I never gave the colour of the engine cowls too much thought, I just went with the painting instructions, however the cowls will be closed so will not be seen again. I have had a look at your build Oleg and it is fantastic, however mine will be nowhere near that standard !

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by dennismcc

A bit more progress, the nose undercarriage and bulkhead were assembled, this was a bit fiddley as there are no firm attachment points, just small bumps and shallow holes.

QGDLSa.jpg

The shiny part of the oleo was painted with aluminium (Humbrol 56) but was a bit dull, so I wrapped some Bare Metal Foil around but that was too shiny, so in the end I just painted it with Humbrol 11, in between I did try Humbrol polished steel but that was a disaster.

The main undercarriage bay and parts were readied for assembly, what I thought were rubber gators turned out to be springs so these were painted with Humbrol 67 then dry brushed with silver, this was also the case with the nose wheel leg.

I'm not sure about the red hydraulic lines, I saw them on a French website showing a He 162 under restoration, they seemed to be doing a fantastic job even sanding the paint down to reveal the various layers as per the FAA Museum Corsair restoration so I thought that they might have it right.

Here's the site:

http://memorial.flight.free.fr/He162uk.html

oB1JZ5.jpg

Here's the internal components ready for fitting to the fuselage, I will probably dry brush the rudder pedals to make them a little less bland

RL2cEp.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by dennismcc

Thanks Loic, not quite up to your standard but I am enjoying the build.

Next up some detail was added to the cockpit fuselage halves, the moulded on detail was picked out with cocktail sticks dipped in paint and a mixture of kit and Airscale placards were added. Test fitting revealed a good fit of the seat/bulkhead so this was glued into the fuselage half.

Dry fitting of the nose undercarriage and bulkhead did not go so well as I could not get the nose to close properly, during this process the assembly fell apart and had to be rebuild, this time I drilled some holes and added some fuse wire pins to give a more secure finish.The forward outside struts were found to be fouling the fuselage halves, a bevel was sanded on the round part of these struts and the nose section close a treat, the nose undercarriage was then glued into the fuselage half.

I don't like open panels I prefer to see the clean lines of the aircraft so the gun bay was installed but the outer door was glued closed.

ye8MbD.jpg

The clear parts were detached for their sprue, cleaned up and given a dip in Klear then put into the lettuce saver to protect them from dust.

F0odcF.jpg

vIdNBc.jpg

And the closed gun bay.

L8siMt.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by dennismcc