81 Sqn Spitfire IXc, Tunisia 1943

KallistiUK

This is another in my series of builds "Aircraft my Father Fixed".

Up to now I've built mostly the aircraft my Father worked on while in Burma in the latter half of WWII while attached to 5 Squadron. Before that he was with 81 Squadron from their entry into Operation Torch at Gibraltar Oct '42 up until Sicily had been pacified in Oct-Nov1943 whereupon he was transferred to Cairo en-route to India and 5 Squadron. Funnily enough, 81 Squadron followed his his wake a couple of weeks later and ended up based 5 miles down the road in India, re-equipping with Spitfire VIII, hence why we have a Christmas dinner menu from 81 Sqn in 1943 in my father's effects.

Anyway, back to Tunisia in the spring/summer of 1943. Up to that point, the squadron had been equipped with Spitfire Vb Trop and Vc Trop (hence my earlier abortive attempt to convert the Hobbyboss Vb Trop to a Vc Trop), however these were beginnign to be outmatched by the German aircraft. The Tropical filters used on the V series had an unfortunate side-effect of reducing overall performance of the engine. So in May '43 81 Sqn started receiving Spitfire IXs. At this point they were based in Tunisia at Souk-el-Khemis airfield and subsequently moved to other airfields in the general vicinity.

From reading Alan Peart's book "From North Africa to the Arakan" you get to see that conditions on these airfields were basic to say the least. So I want to try to capture a snapshot of the activity of the groundcrew in these conditions in my diorama.

Build thread viewable here

So here are the photos of the finished build:

DSC_0542.JPG

DSC_0539.JPG

DSC_0537.JPG

DSC_0540.JPG

DSC_0545.JPG

DSC_0546.JPG

DSC_0549.JPG

Made it in time for the Farnborough club meet tomorrow! Phew!

Just made the shocking discovery that I have forgotten to put the tail fin flash on! This was supposed to be a mask so I could fade the paint but I had so much trouble with the fuselage roundel that I must have forgotten the tail completely! I've got the kit decals left but the annoying thing is there's been a coat of Matt varnish sprayed... :(

Sigh, another senior moment!

Thanks everyone, the fin flashes went on okay in the end and the completed dio was on display at IPMS Farnborough meeting this evening. I'll try to get some photos done with the fin flashes asap.

LSP_Kevin, I would be honoured to have it published on the website, what do you need from me?