Best way to clean Model Master Acrylics from an airbrush

Aircav1980

Hi All, 

I have started using Model Master Acrylics because I love the range of colors it comes in. The problem is it does not seem to want to come out of my airbrush after spraying it. I have tried Windex (which works great for Tamiya acrylics), straight ammonia, and even lacquer thinner. The lacquer thinner and the straight ammonia seem to work, but they require a lot of elbow grease and and time. Does anyone have any recommendations? I love the paints but not spending 20 minutes cleaning my airbrush after. Please help!!  

HI,

Although I don't use MM acrylics,I do find that 99% Acetone moves stuff like Mr.Hobby/Tamiya/Vallejo without any probs.

Try some nail varnish remover as a bit of a test run,it contains Acetone, but is diluted.

After using Acetone I shoot some Screen wash/or Windex through my airbrush for a bit of a swill,so there's no residue of Acetone left.

Mick 

Be mindful of nail varnish removers. Most of them contain all sorts of "nail care" additives to "nourish and moisturise" nails. Most of the times these tend to be oils. This may cause oil residue to buildup inside the airbrush. You do not want oils in your airbrush because they mix with the paint when spraying, leading to "fisheye", splatter or poor adhesion.

All paint manufactues have some kind of "brush cleaner" in their range.

Here is Testors' http://www.testors.com/product/137350/50497/_/Universal_Acrylic_Airbrush_Cleaner_4_oz

Here is more: https://airbrushes.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=Cleaner&osCsid=576590f27b5d715cbaa5f2e6dc635cb4&x=-595&y=-91

Try that. If that fails, use cellulose thinner. It stinks but it shifts anything.

Hth,

Radu

Thanks for the advise. The Windex is what I was using when I was using Tamiya acrylics exclusively. It just seems to turn the MM acrylics to sludge and stick it to my airbrush more. The lacquer thinner seems to work best but not even as well as it works on lacquers. Not sure what I need to do. Part of my problem might be my airbrush. I have a Badger 150 that it bottom fed. I love the airbrush but it has a lot of nooks and crannies to clean. 

Guest Peterpools

For both Model Master and Tamiya acrylics, I use good old lacquer thinner and it works perfectly. I always strip down the Iwata after a painting session, especially when I shoot different types of paint during the session: enamels, acrylics and lacquers.

Peter

Tamiya "acrylics" are best thinned with alcohol, so they don't behave like ordinary water-based acrylics. I suggest plain distilled water for fresh paint; lacquer thinner if it's had time to dry. Be sure to keep some Q-Tips handy for cleaning out any orifices except your ears.

Guest Peterpools

Ken

I have a great fondness for Tamiya X-22A with the yellow cap but at $9.99 for 250 ml, I use it strictly for thinning paint and spraying. For cleaning, I go with Clean and Strip lacquer Thinner from Home Depot or Lowes, which is a lot cheaper.

can't find a better lacquer thinner the Tamiya's for painting for sure.

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

Ken

I have a great fondness for Tamiya X-22A with the yellow cap but at $9.99 for 250 ml, I use it strictly for thinning paint and spraying. For cleaning, I go with Clean and Strip lacquer Thinner from Home Depot or Lowes, which is a lot cheaper.

can't find a better lacquer thinner the Tamiya's for painting for sure.

Peter

the Tamiya Synthetic thinner aslo works well with enamel paints such as model master and WEM paints. I also use it on Gunze as well. I love the stuff. i do use standard lacquer thinner to spray the airbrush clean though. The Tamiya thinner even takes the paint off a painted kit wihout damaging the plastic.I even use it as a plastic prep before painting.