Wingnut 1/32 Roland D.VIa

AndrewS

Hi!

This is my first W.i.p. here.

I've started it some time ago, but I didn't know this forum, so it will look like I'm a very fast modeller

because I'll post a lot of work in a short time.  :lol:

A few words about me:

I'm 40, I come from Italy and I'm mainly interested in WWI planes, but I build a little bit of everything.  :)

Let's start:

for this build I'll use the Wingnut kit, Lozenge decals form Wood&Wire, Gaspatch metal turnbuckles and few resin bits for the engine form Taurus model.

Box_zps0a1c9e2d.jpg

Some closeups of the kit:

Content_04_zps2bcae9f8.jpg

Content_04_zps2bcae9f8.jpg

Content_07_zpscecd15f2.jpg

Content_10_zps3ac4b485.jpg

usual WnW high quality.

The Wood&Wire decals. I think that they are a great improvement over the kit lozenges...

Decal_01_zps752d4aa0.jpg

Decal_02_zpsce7dea9e.jpg

Finally the resin parts for valves and intake. Much finer than the kit parts and worth the price.

Resin_01b_zps1cf7dcb6.jpg

Resin_01_zpsa7e1072d.jpg

Resin_02_zpsa48447bf.jpg

That's all for now, in the next posts I'll post the W.i.p.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

wow great start on this beauty sir. I'm very intrested in this kit to, so i will follow you're progress from the first row.

Those lozenges decals from Wood&Wire are indeed much better then those supplied in the Wing Nut box, the texture really gives realism to these. :goodjob:

Greetz

Danny

Yes, the W&W decals are very good. 

They are transparent so you need to paint the base in a suitable color. I've used a clear doped linen base.

Decalapp_01_zps5720eab8.jpg

Decalapp_02_zpsa76a026a.jpg

Decalapp_03_zps3eb20cbd.jpg

as you can see I've tried to do some preshading, but I think that is a little hard to control, so I've decided to do a post-shading using oils.

here's the wings with the rib tapes form the wingnut decals.

The ribs decals are a little stiff, so it's not easy to apply them to the trailing edge of the wing, would be easier to paint them.

W&W decals are very thin , so would be a good idea to lay down a clear cote as soon you have posed them and they are dry.

I didn't do that and I had to retouch some scratches  -_-

Decalapp_04_zps77ed2e5d.jpg

Post shading with oil paint

Wing_04_zpsd00eae2a.jpg

Wing_02_zpscc5b3980.jpg

Wing_03_zps51e7eba7.jpg

For today that's all  :)

Andrew

Hi!

Thank sfor your comments  :)

The engine:

I've painted it with alclad and I've added spark plugs wires.

Engine_01_zpsaeb9a872.jpg

engine_02_zps9da06f43.jpg

On this engine the intake manifold was usually covered with asbestos chord to keep it warm.

The kit is lacking this detail and I had to choose between buying the Barracuda resin intake (wonderful piece) or try to make one by myself.

I've choosed the second solution because I like to try new techniques and have something different from other builds.

To replicate the chord I've wrapped a copper wire  around the intake and textured it with milliput.

In the pictures the effect seems a little be too harsh, but in real life is more subtle, anyway can always be improved...

reference

PfalzDXII260018priorto2ndrestorationin20

intake_01_zps2f69e81b.jpg

engine_01_zps9edc8b5d.jpg

Installed with some other cables added.  At the end the sides will be almost invisible. please don't look at the bad finish on the side of the tank, this part will be absolutely invisible  ;)

Enginew_02_zps7fcdd467.jpg

Assembly_01_zpsf2ed1a40.jpg

In the next post I'll show you the fuselage paint.

I'm going fast with the posts, but if you want to know more about some parts let me know.

Andrew

The fuselage on the real plane was half left in wood finish and half painted.

Content_02_zpsa02f9559.jpg

The color of the front band could be black or red, nobody is sure about it, so I choose red to add some interest.

Usually the fuselage should be painted after is joined, but on this plane I worked in another way.

The engine should be added before closing the fuselage and painting all the fuselage after the assembly needs a lot of masking and on the engine there are a lot of fragile bits.

So I have painted the fuselage befroe assembly, joined them, fixed the join line (very easy on wingnut kits, they are almost perfect ) and retouched only the join without the need of big masking.

paint_01_zpsba061102.jpg

paint_02_zps3888a752.jpg

The wooden part needs some more work before using the oils.

On the acrylic sand color base I've added with brush some color variations and the planks joints. 

Obviously at this point the contrast is too harsh so I overlayed a thin lazer of the base color and a light wash with brown oils. Now is ready for the oils

Assembly_03_zps23f5a990.jpg

Fusewash_05_zpsb09c5040.jpg

First pass with oil color dragged with a sponge. The tail cross is painted and there's no shading yet on the red and the black

W_01_zps0f0bfb2a.jpg

W_02_zps99e3ecf0.jpgW_03_zpsa95193e2.jpg

W_04_zpscc339373.jpg

That's all for now :)

Andrew

Edited by AndrewS