Wolfpack F-14B Update Sets

Chris_B-1B

Guest Peterpools

Chris

Can't offer an opinion on Wolfpack's F-14D conversion but I am in the midst of a F-16! Sufa build and used their cockpit and exterior set. Absolutely first class and gorgeous! So far, I rate their products 100%!

Peter

I have the F-14B cockpit, and i can say the moulding is perfect, and it's very detailed. Almost as good as aires stuff, you can buy it, you wont be disapointed. On the other hand, i cant tell about the fitting as i haven't built it yet.

Funny (strange?) stuff is that the wolfpak resin has a quite strong solvent smell.

I've used the Wolfpack F-14D set on a Tamiya Cat, was very unsatisfied with it. The fit was poor, had to do a lot of scraping and fitting to make it fit. Exhaust cans are undersize as well. When i did mine i used the CE exhaust cans. I found the set seemed to fit the Revell Cat well...curious. If i had to do it again, i will use the Aries kit, looks much better quality wise and exhaust cans look to be the right size. This is a WIP for the Tamiya cat i did back in 2009 for a group build in ARC. Shows the faults of the Wolfpack stuff. I have used other stuff from Wolfpack and usually satisfied. The F-14B/D set was a disappointment.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=174120

HTH Don

Yep same here; I was quite disappointed with the WP F-14D set. Right off the bat, I could see that most (if not all) the GE Exhaust parts were hog-podged from other kits. The GE Engine fan/IGV was a direct copy of the inaccurate one in the Academy F-16CG/CJ kit. The GE Nozzles (Turkey feather assembly) are also a cleaned up copies from the Academy F-16CG, which would explain why they're undersized. They would have been better off copying the Tamiya Engine fan/IGV; though it definitely looks like they used the Tamiya GE Nozzle interior detail. Once assembled, the WP GE nozzle TE Turkey feathers and divergent flap/flap seals do not interlink at all. It looks toyish and exactly what it is; a GE Exhaust with an insert.

The flame holder/mixing duct and turbine are copied from the Tamiya F-16CJ. No Exhaust ducts (tubes) are included. Instead, you are supposed the kit exhaust ducts, which are far from GE like and split in half with seams that are near impossible to clean up. The nozzle fairings are too big in cross section; which is a first for WP as typically their resin is undersized.

The only good part was the Chin pod and even that was suspect I was told from a couple of well versed F-14 modelers. Save yourself the trouble and get a much better quality and more accurate GE Exhaust from Aires and source the chin pod elsewhere.

As for the cockpit, much of it was based off of kits parts with added detail. I've yet to see a WP cockpit set that comes close to Aires or Black Box (Avionics) fine detailing and more original structure. I decided to go with an older Technics Cockpit I still had.