1/32 Spitfire PR XI conversion

monthebiff

Hi everyone, I've finally decided to build a 32nd scale aircraft after all this time building 1/48 kits so while I'm at it thought I'd have a go at a WIP. After seeing the Alley Cat PR conversion set I thought it would be nice to see one finished in something other than green/grey. I'm also using some of the Barracuda sets for the cockpit.

DSCN0641_zpsb37792f0.jpg

Here is progress so far with modified instrument panel done.

DSCN0638_zps8be17603.jpg

DSCN0640_zpsa45adbca.jpg

Camera ports drilled and fitted to fuselage

DSCN0633_zps727b81f0.jpg

Edited by monthebiff

Here's the wings together with the Alley cat resin blanks in place, now time to fill panel lines, does anyone have any more information on this as I read somewhere that post 1942 the front 20% of the wing panel lines and rivets were puttied like the Mustang wing? Any help would be much appreciated.

DSCN0647_zpsc21544ff.jpg

DSCN0644_zpsf5f7ba64.jpg

Edited by monthebiff

OOOHH, I have the same thing, (only the American version) So I will be following  this one very closely. :popcorn: And  welcome aboard  :party0023: .........Harv

Fantastic subject and excellent kit/conversion set. I just ordered the same set but for the USAAF markings. I'll follow this with great interest. Thank you for sharing this. :piliot:

Edited by Maurice

Wow, your wing blanks are way better than mine. I don't think mine had a straight edge on any one side. I gave up in the end and stole another set of wings from another Spit in the stash and used the kit parts after removing the lumps and bumps and puttying them over. I'm still not happy with the result but its better than I got with the Alleycat parts. Especially after fairing them in, using the alley cat parts I ended up obliterating most of the kit detail after putty/sanding. Will watch this thread for inspiration to get mine going again.

Great start!

.......does anyone have any more information on this as I read somewhere that post 1942 the front 20% of the wing panel lines and rivets were puttied like the Mustang wing? Any help would be much appreciated.

I think our resident Spitfire expert Edgar should be able to answer that if he spies this thread...........

• 2 weeks later...

Interior halves now detailed and ready for undercoat and painting, 

DSCN0657_zpsf8d8d04f.jpg

DSCN0658_zps01339491.jpg

After finally getting some decent reference on the "D Type" wings I have made a start on filling unwanted detail/access panels on the wings, the Mr Surfacer 1000 looks a bit of a mess at the moment but will look just fine after some careful sanding and re-scribing. 

DSCN0656_zps3ccc3fa2.jpg

DSCN0651_zps8788cdde.jpg