fozzy

Total Scratch build of the front end of a B17G!

Hi all

Time for some fun and games with my "Henry hoover"!!

Yep...I bought this hoover many years ago and I have had more fun Vac forming than hoovering the chuffing house....no surprise there then wink.png

In my last post I had shaped the plug for the top turret out of balsa wood....it was now time to vac form it.

1. First off I had to seal the plug before vac forming else all the wood grain would show up on the finished article. I went with my usual method of a coat of wood sealant and then a couple of coats of aircraft dope....this toughened and smoothed over all the wood grain..............and made me very high from the fumes!!! wacko.gif

kfd008_zps737ccea0.jpg

2. Next up....get my home built vac forming kit out. This consists basically of a sealed wooden box with holes in and a hoover attachment on the side...see pic............

kfd002_zps4482bac8.jpg

3. The other part of the kit is a wooden frame where the plastic sheet has to be attached...again see the photo of a piece of clear food packaging fastened to the frame.........

kfd004_zpsbff08872.jpg

4. Method of vac forming to those of you who don't know..(and I am sure most of you do ...so apologies to the ones in the know!)...is........place the plug you have made onto the vac box...raising it a few inches off the box with something first..........

kfd012_zps2246830e.jpg

5. Next up switch on your kitchen oven to the highest temp...making sure you take out any pre prepared Sunday dinner that the wife might have prepared earlier ohmy.png ....an error I nearly made!!..attach your hoover to the vac box and switch on ....now its time to place the frame with the sheet attached onto the top shelve in the oven , just for a few seconds until you see the plastic wave up and down as it starts to slowly melt!...remember ....A FEW SECONDS ELSE IT WILL MELT!!....as soon as you see the plastic waving at you take it out of the oven (trying not to burn your self ) and push the frame over the plug until the frame touches the vac box...and the hoover does the rest of the job for you!....great fun!!...........

kfd010_zps92f32a55.jpg

6. It should end up looking like this...........

kfd015_zpsfd8a5347.jpg

kfd016_zpsfb19d520.jpg

7. Next up take the frame off the vac box and carefully cut the excess plastic off and prize the plug out.....(be very careful...hardest part)......

kfd018_zpsad5f2845.jpg

8. And here is the end result!!....you might be able to see a hole in the top of the turret glass...this is where I made a small hole to get the plug off!...luckily a bigger hole will be cut later in this area to accommodate the guns in any case..........

PO002_zps9e7af96d.jpg

PO005_zpsda5eb6d9.jpg

So there you have it!

It is great fun vac forming and to build a vac forming kit is dead easy and cost bugger all!!.....depending on the thickness of the plastic sheet you are using depends on how many attempts at getting the it done first time.....my turret worked the second attempt because I used the wrong thickness plastic...I just couldn't seem to get it hot enough to vac form properly...(that's the last time I use my shaving blade plastic packaging!!).....but it doesn't matter how many times you have a go...you will get it in the end.

Now to start work on scratching the top turret.....

Thanks for looking in chaps....

Fozzy

Guest Peterpools

Fozzy

Terrific work on the top turret and thanks you so much for the vacuform tutorial - very much appreciated

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Hi every one

Its been over a month since I last did some work on the old B17G....Just felt as if I needed a break from her!....in the mean time I have been enjoying making a few model kits over the Xmas and New Year period.....but its time to get back to this project for the last push and try and get it done!

My last post on the B17 was the vac forming of the top turret dome......well I had a close look at the dome that I produced and wasn't really happy with it so I attempted to have a go at making another one...and another one ....and another one :frantic: ....just couldn't get it right.....(I think it was several factors that stopped me producing a decent dome....the kitchen where I was vac forming was 0C degrees....coldest winter in years over here in Bulgaria.....and it effected the heating procedure...and the plastic packaging wasn't quite right!!)...............and so I decided to go with the original one I made.

The problem was that the plastic was very flimsy and I thought that it wouldn't work at all. So I started to make the dome frame as I thought it might strengthen the whole thing ......and I was lucky that it did! :whistle:

So the frame I made from plastic strips and before super gluing them onto the frame I punched the plastic strips to simulate riveting.

I am not ecstatic about the turret dome but feel that I will get away with it once its painted up.....here it is....................

PO001_zpscf6b4be2.jpg

PO003_zps6eebe700.jpg

tr002_zps12addf1d.jpg

tr007_zpsc42168b2.jpg

PO007_zps6cff92e2.jpg

PO004_zpsf1cca745.jpg

tr006_zps55a39eca.jpg

Ok then.....I have now to replicate the turret workings....you should see the amount of photos I have got to attempt to do this ohmy.png

When I have made some progress I will post again.

Cheers for looking in chaps! smile.png

Fozzy

I thought you had dropped off of the face of the earth!  Welcome back Martin.

It doesn't look terrible.  Which is all we can ask of ourselves sometimes.  I do feel your pain tho when it comes to feeling their work is below par on occasion.

Good show, tho.

Sincerely,

Mark

Guest Peterpools

Fozzy

I'm right with mark and sometimes we're a bit too hard on ourselves. To these old eyes, the turret looks great

Keep 'em coming

Peter

HI Fozzy

Coming along nicely. Will you give the turret a dip in future (or whatever it's called over there), that'll improve clarity (maybe try it on a piece of same material first - just in case).

Lovely work as usual. Look forward to seeing the turret come together.

Matt

HI Fozzy

Coming along nicely. Will you give the turret a dip in future (or whatever it's called over there), that'll improve clarity (maybe try it on a piece of same material first - just in case).

Lovely work as usual. Look forward to seeing the turret come together.

Matt

Hi Matt....already done mate (Johnson Klear)....its the best I am going to get it I'm afraid but it does look heaps better with the frame painted...as you will see in my next post! :)

Martin,

What type of glue do you use to attach the framing to the turret?

Cees

Hi Cees.....I used Cyanoacrylate (super glue)......but if your thinking of doing something like this ...try it on another piece of the same material first as it sometimes mists the clear plastic (it certainly does on model kit canopies....I use white glue for that) ;)