Total Scratch build of the front end of a B17G!

fozzy

Martin, this is just so out of the ordinary !! Have you thought about suspending it above with small clear rods ? Don't know if it would work for you. Just my 2 cents.......Harv :popcorn:

Beautiful Martin ! I quite like the hinged version.

Hubert.

Thanks Hubert...I am thinking on those lines as well...although it won't be hinged as such...it will be fixed in that position....it would never marry up with the bottom section well enough ;)

Martin, this is just so out of the ordinary !! Have you thought about suspending it above with small clear rods ? Don't know if it would work for you. Just my 2 cents.......Harv :popcorn:

Cheers Harvey!....I don't have to make a decision as yet on the final display but the hinge and the suspension are my favorites so far! :)

I know you took a big risk making that change for display sake but I think it paid off brilliantly.  You can see much more and in a much more logical set up. I prefer the hinge to the side but that's just me. More pressing ,I think,is figuring out how you will get the lower turret stuff to clear the dome when you open the top part? Will the twin 50s stay on the top or bottom,etc??

J

I know you took a big risk making that change for display sake but I think it paid off brilliantly.  You can see much more and in a much more logical set up. I prefer the hinge to the side but that's just me. More pressing ,I think,is figuring out how you will get the lower turret stuff to clear the dome when you open the top part? Will the twin 50s stay on the top or bottom,etc??

J

OK J

The plan (and I stress...at the moment)....is to not actually hinge the top half on the side of the lower half of the fuselage but to have it open permanently .The reason is as I explained to Hubert above that it just won't sit well enough onto the lower fuselage section...and of course as you have pointed out how to display the top turret????? :hmmm: ....now my initial plan/idea is to have the turret fixed onto the floor where it actually is on the B17...including the barrels....without the glass dome covering it....the dome will be fixed to the top of the fuselage as it is now!...does this make sense?

Of course all these ideas might just fly out the window....we shall see!! ;)

Afternoon!

So after doing the huge revamp it was time to bash on! ;)

TRICKY TRICKY TRICKY ! :o

Yes it was.....fixing the 50 cal cheek guns in position!....nearly lost it a couple of times I have to say!...it was because I Had to get my fat fingers in the front end to put them in position and try not to break any other detail....frustrating to say the least! :whistle:

So dear friends ...this is how I did it....

First of all I had to replicate the swivel joint which is in the window frame where the barrel is pushed through .....so after a a bit of thinking I came up with this method......a piece of plastic pipe was cut and drilled to shape......

yh%20002_zps9zcajopu.jpg

This was then attached to the front of the gun after first cutting the barrel off..!!

yh%20007_zpslwrtqw3g.jpg

like so...

yh%20005_zps4ezkc8wx.jpg

Then off to the bathroom I ran and got a slice of toilet paper!!....and painted it Khaki !...don't know why! wink.png

yh%20001_zpsfciic7je.jpg

This of course was to replicate the canvas cover for the barrel !................

n%20001_zpsecjv0mov.jpg

So the first tricky part was trying to get it positioned right in the window..the second tricky part was attaching the cables to the gun... after a lot of swear words and glue this is what it ended up looking like.......

f%20006_zpsip2tjcox.jpg

mbv_zps2u28m1qg.jpg

op_zpsl2kyklml.jpg

n%20014_zpsbbrroekc.jpg

n%20018_zpseatprr3o.jpg

n%20019_zpshzk5qytx.jpg

n%20025_zpsw7kbjwq4.jpg

Now for the last Tricky part....the ammo belt........... sad.png

The ammo belt also gave me a lot of grief!! :(

I made it out of paper and wire.....

vc_zpsw1m3ztij.jpg

Here it is ..all fixed up.....

vg_zps8bwwe8qm.jpg

I thought it would be easy fixing the belt to the gun one end.... and the other end to the ammo box...think again!!..took me ages with tweezers etc! angry.png

.but after a while I managed it....

f%20006_zpsip2tjcox.jpg

f%20015_zpsrf5srqzs.jpg

f%20017_zps9tsbsqw2.jpg

f%20022_zpsp93tha7k.jpg

The trouble is........of course I have to do it all over again for the other cheek gun sad.png

At least I know this time what to expect!!

Will post again when complete............cheers for looking in smile.png

Fozzy

Edited by fozzy