Total Scratch build of the front end of a B17G!

fozzy

I missed your build entirely Martin.  :oops:

This is great! Some shots are very deceptive ... Is it a reference photo or a model ....

Will be watching from now on. 

Hi Tomek...glad to have you on board!....all the snaps are of the model..taken with my cheapo Nikon Coolpix!! ;)

Morning Chaps...once again a BIG thank you to all who have commented on this build :)

...............and so we continue!

Today's post is all about scratching the panel that fits in behind the central console....I took my time with this panel/box as it has lots of weird switches and knobs and things :o ....I found it very fiddly to say the least!! and was glad when I had finally glued it in position! :whistle:

Here is the real panel taken from a B17G taken from the Warbird Information Exchange off the internet...............

IMG_7139_EGSU_AUG2011_G12_zps86eeed60.jp

So after measuring up for the scale I set about cutting bits of plastic and came up with this....as near as I could possibly make in 1:20 scale...................

yt006_zpsdd36d546.jpg

yt008_zpsa663014d.jpg

yt001_zps8e82b5c6.jpg

I then placed the box onto the front of the central console............................

fff009_zps8497fe55.jpg

....and then as usual glued it all in position into the cockpit and took some snaps.....here they are.............

fff006_zps169bb12b.jpg

yt009_zpsf8185962.jpg

yt022_zpsf0025233.jpg

My next post will be getting away from control panels and onto the two control column's!...

I have just noticed that I am up to page 18 on this build! ohmy.png ....I do hope you can all stick around to the end!...as I have a nasty surprise for you all!...something I have been worrying about for the last couple of months....at this moment in time I feel that the 2 fuselage halves are not going to fit together! blush.pngblush.pngsad.png

I had a look yesterday and everything seems to have shifted out of line...I think its because of the extreme heat we have here in Bulgaria that the 2 halves are warping!. unsure.png ..so God only knows how I am supposed to finish this!!I am going to have to think carefully how to proceed else the whole project will be a waste of time!

Meanwhile...I will just continue...because I have to really!! ....

until the next post................

Fozzy

Hello guys

I'm afraid that total scratch building has reared its ugly head and has given me no end of problems! :(

The problem is...other than the two fuselage halves not in alignment (as pointed out in the last post!!)...but now I have a problem with the top half of the Cockpit side walls.....I made a couple of control columns...and I know that they are in scale with the rest of the cockpit but they both butt up to the tops of the side walls!!...... :blowup:

Now I think I can rectify this ....all be it a pain in the a#@e...I just wish that I had spotted the error before I did all the side wall detail :doh:

This is going to take a bit of time and the build will have to go on hold whilst I try to fix the problem!.....to try and keep calm about it all I have started to build an OOB old Revell kit of a Tornado ECR "Tiger meet"....this hopefully will keep me sane in between ripping apart all the work I have done in the cockpit and re building it all up again!!!......Very depressing to say the least!!

I knew I would come across some problems to be solved on this build at some point..... I guess that's the nature of the scratch building beast! :(

Having said all that ...I have started to make the Control columns and I thought I would show you how I put them together..........

So after having a look in all my cardboard boxes of odds and ends I came across some plastic cocktail sticks that I must have used one evening in a drucken stupor but managed to be sober enough to bring them home in my pocket for the use of model making one day....and ...brilliant ...just the correct scale for the columns them selves!!..................

controlcolumn_zps8ec98d89.jpg

You can see in this next photo how I am going to use them.................................

controlcolumn1_zps761994f4.jpg

So I cut them to length and sanded and shaped the tops of them................

controlcolumn2_zps7ce96c4e.jpg

started to add some detail.........

controlcolumn3_zps3ee26809.jpg

....and some more detail using my favorite material......wire !.........

controlcolumn4_zps53cf436b.jpg

nearly there........

controlcolumn5_zps7405f052.jpg

...........more wire required!................

controlcolumn6_zps129b4e99.jpg

here is the start of the wheels them selves..........

controlcolumn7_zpsbcffd7b7.jpg

....and here is the wheel..........

controlcolumn8_zpse554c1b1.jpg

.and finally the control column complete.....................

controlcolumn9_zps7afa46f5.jpg

Of course they will look a lot more realistic....I hope....when they have been painted....but that will have to wait another day!

I have got to get my knife out now and rip off the cockpit side walls ...and all the chuffing detail I have done....so wish me luck lads!! wink.png

I will be back when I have cracked it........................

Fozzy