Erla G-10 review

Hardcore

Amazing! Thanks for sharing, I thought paint composition was not known.

It occurs to me that the paint would be too thick to airbrush, Did they use gasoline as dilutant? Or was it like the Wermacht colors; delivered as a paste and possible to dilute using either gasoline or water?

Also what about the rarity of the materials? I have no idea if any of them was hard to get the last year, or if it was the breakdown in Communications that lead to any shortages. ( I recall reading sending a Ju88G a wing, just a few miles for repairs, took five to six weeks due to the disruption of the railroad system.)

(Note Zero77 that these questions are not directed at you:))

I find this very interesting but I wont mix my own batch anytime soon :D, Ordinary xtracrylics and tamiya work just fine for me^^

German aircraft paint was Ikarol an artificial resin based lacquer paint, and used a "solvent such as lacquer".  (from "The Fw 190 Dora, Volume Two" by Jerry Crandall).  I suspect trying to thin with gasoline would muck up the paint pretty well.

Warnecke & Böhm (who are still in business) who invented and patented the paint still had many of the original formulas on hand when Jerry C. spoke to them in 1988.  Interesting to note that although the formulas still exist they could not reproduce them because some of the chemicals used were toxic and no longer used.  They also stated that some late war colors were "altered due to lack of some raw materials".

Edited by Mikester

I should have figured the company was known, and survived the war. Reference books have all been pretty vague on the subject of paint. Maybe I didn't have right one...:-)

Thanks for the info. I'll see if I can get an example of that book.

Hi all

I am sorry if I repeat something that has already been said but I think the one of the most knowledgeable persons with respect to German colours and paints is Juergen Kiroff at www.rlm-farben.de. He is also a great man and always willing to share his knowledge.

Jozef

As an real life-aircraft painter this paint discussion is very interesting. If anyone have information about what type of spray guns was used, please let me know. I've found almost zero information about them so far.

Thank you, too, Jozef! That web site Looks very interesting, but a pity the pages still are in German only.

In case of need you can contact Juergen. He speaks English.

Jozef 

Hello.

Kiroff is good and the site is good .

The thing with the sprayguns is difficult the first sprayguns is from the late 1800 hundreds so what the Germans used could be anything,Bing or what ever,dont know,and actually dont know the German marks of guns but they had probably produced some them selves.

Cheers

Boris

I'll tell you all what; I missed out on the first batch from Sprue Brothers so I signed up for an email when these kits were restocked.  I got that email yesterday at around 3:30pm or so.  By the time I got home and logged on it was around 5:00pm and the damn kit was sold out already...  These things seem to be tough to get at a decent price.  Sure, I could pay $38 (US) if I wanted one REALLY BADLY but I don't so I'll wait for the NEXT stock from Sprue Brothers and hopefully, I'll be a bit faster on the draw and actually get this kit.

Hi Boris,

I strongly suspect that the spray guns were manufactured by Krautzberger, who are still in business after 110 years.  You should be able to find examples on ebay.de.

Cheers,

David

I have it on good information that the spinner was copied froma orginal item from the war.Yes I know that people say it is wrong, maybe there were different verions of it.When you have a original piece it is hard to argue that it is wrong. I say lets wait and see before we comdem it. So far I have had no problem building my kit, as soon as I get back from Poland I will finish it. Also here on my trip I will be meeting with my Wojtek from Silver Wings and talking about the PZL 11c ( I made the masters ) Then off to see the 1to1 PZL37 replica in Melec.

Ron