Sopwith Pup RNAS ... WNW's 1/32

Little Andi

Great work!  I really like the cable and wood showing through effect. I tried something similar on my WnW DH-2, but in my normal ham-fistedness, I over-sprayed the top coat a bit heavy and most all my under work disappeared.

Looking forward to more progress!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Cheps! ..............

You all have been so terribly kind, and don't think it goes unappreciated, however my attempts they do flatter to deceive: and thankfully most all of you will never see them in the flesh!?

I've been firkling away, making a muck-up of those nose panels (pic's to follow soon), but to give mine head a bit of a rest? Thought I'd make a start on the engine - some rest that turned out to be. Most everything I'd been made aware of came to pass - as in the push-rods do stand proud of the cylinders, as do the copper intakes fall short of the heads by a half a millimetre or so.
Of course absolutely non of this can be seen once the cowl goes on ... so I decided to wire the spark plugs - bliddy idiot!
No, truth be told I wanted to have a play and see if I could do it - knowing full well if I jiggered it up completely it was going to be largely hidden ................. it went rather well actually, although it took mine eyes a few days to recover.

Here you go then ............. nothing that hasn't been seen before. But it is my own dashing attempt ................

Pup-12_zps9221bae2.jpg

Pup-13_zps31e4d7b5.jpg

What do you reckon to my groovy engine stand - bought a packet of craft sticks (I think they're tongue depressors really) and finally found a use for one of 'em!

Oh! ps ................... I had to turn up a new crankshaft for this as I think the carpet monster ate the original - or the dog!!!

The chief suspect .......................

Comfy-Gus_zps2ec353c0.jpg

See ya'.........................

• 2 weeks later...

Here you go then? ..................

Another bit of an update. You must be gentle with me though as I'm desperately trying to come to terms with this whole "weathering" malarkey. She is no Hanger queen - not by a long chalk. And with her maritime nature, awkward maintenance and a proclivity for going for a swim!! Well, I thought she might just not be looking her best.
I've tried to be rational about it - fuelling on a rolling ship must lead to spillage, as much on the seaman as the aircraft - vis-a-vis plenty of muck and staining down that port side cowling, again plenty of muck and spillage where the pilot climbs aboard and a lot of that oil and fuel is making its way along those bottom fuselage longerons too? Some areas receive a bit of an absent minded wipe down so the cowling and rear deck is subject to a bit of a clean and even wear or bleaching.

It all looks decidedly mucky up front but I've tried to pre-empt the wing going on and making it all a bit darker under there??

Anyhoo - forgive me my sins ... but here she is so far .....................................

Pup-16_zps4954a4fd.jpg

Pup-17_zps77d70df2.jpg

Pup-18_zps8b5f3c5e.jpg

Pup-20_zpsf09a089f.jpg

Pup-19_zps16ca3acd.jpg

NO unifying Matt coat yet ... I'm still a bit gun-shy about that. It's going to have to be done, but I'm nervous as a kitten knowing the amount of handling that's needed to wrestle this puppy to a finish.

More as it happens ..................... good or bad!

Seez-ya!

Nice effects there Andi. I have a couple of these as well, and I'll prolly re-visit this to try my own hand at CDL.  I agree with some of your assessment regarding too much PE, and extra bits. I'm coming to the conclusion that the WNW kits require little aside from the willingness to fiddle around with scrap plastic, and wire. Some PE does the trick, but one doesn't need too much.

I tend to use a satin clear on my WWI stuff; seems more "in-scale" to me; It does tie the entire paint works together though.  Nice work.

• 3 weeks later...