Revell P-51 B

GVINCENT

Hi Geoff,

thanks for your input on this, and indeed i guess i must have been thrown off track with hindsight, and if this discussion hadn't come up it would have bugged me for quite some time to come.

I thought i had a good "eye" on the Mustang, with lots of documentation and on the modelling front lots of 1/32 scale Mustang kits of different brandnames in my stash, but it shows you're never too old to learn new things.

(though i once made a hybrid, grafting a Monogram "D" nose onto a Revell "B" fuselage, but that didn't do it for me either)

I appreciate your gesture very much, but you need not go thru all the hassle sending me a B wing, i just hope Jerry isn't too upset after all this commotion i apparently threw up.

cheers,

Jack.

Hi Jack,

It isn't a hassle to send it over to you. It's not just a wing either. It's the entire kit minus a few small parts you can get in any Mustang kit. It also includes the clear parts from JR's -B-.

Last chance....

Cheers

Geoff

This has turned into a pleasent thread dispite my tantrum earlier.

Here is the P-51D I was in the middle of developing right before Tamiya crushed me.

002-24.jpg

The main plan was to straighten out all the major(and minor) fuselage shape issues for all the 1/32 scale kits with this release. I was then gonna take this basic frame and convert it back to a B/C mark by adding the razor back and making the slight mods to the nose that Geoff knows about.

The basis and start point for my old B kit was the Hasegawa kit,so I am surprised when Jack said he saw little difference between my kit and the revell kit?

Both kits have shape issues as per the almost perfect Neely drawings which both Geoff and I agree are without parallel. The Hasegawa kit is almost 1/4 inch too wide at the cockpit sill! But it's nose is fairly close to being correct(but not quite). The Revell kit as geoff stated is good at the mid section but aweful at the nose and both kits failed to capture the shape of the tail correctly. Then there is the wing issue. Both fall short.

Actually you can get a pretty good B/C bird if you start with a Hobbycraft A kit and graft a Hasegawa nose onto it. But there are a lot more mods that will need to be done as well.

Some nostalga for me

001-51.jpg

My other"baby"

AR234andP-51razor002.jpg

That looks good Jerry - nice work on that D model!

Concerning a B model in 1/32, if today, I wanted the most accurate plastic model, would grafting the back half of a Hobbycraft A version with the nose section and under scoop of a Tamiya D model be ideal?

If I understand though, nobody does a really "perfect" wing for the B right?

This has turned into a pleasent thread dispite my tantrum earlier.

Here is the P-51D I was in the middle of developing right before Tamiya crushed me.

002-24.jpg

The main plan was to straighten out all the major(and minor) fuselage shape issues for all the 1/32 scale kits with this release. I was then gonna take this basic frame and convert it back to a B/C mark by adding the razor back and making the slight mods to the nose that Geoff knows about.

The basis and start point for my old B kit was the Hasegawa kit,so I am surprised when Jack said he saw little difference between my kit and the revell kit?

Both kits have shape issues as per the almost perfect Neely drawings which both Geoff and I agree are without parallel. The Hasegawa kit is almost 1/4 inch too wide at the cockpit sill! But it's nose is fairly close to being correct(but not quite). The Revell kit as geoff stated is good at the mid section but aweful at the nose and both kits failed to capture the shape of the tail correctly. Then there is the wing issue. Both fall short.

Actually you can get a pretty good B/C bird if you start with a Hobbycraft A kit and graft a Hasegawa nose onto it. But there are a lot more mods that will need to be done as well.

Some nostalga for me

001-51.jpg

My other"baby"

AR234andP-51razor002.jpg

Bring deese babies back...especially the B

Concerning a B model in 1/32, if today, I wanted the most accurate plastic model, would grafting the back half of a Hobbycraft A version with the nose section and under scoop of a Tamiya D model be ideal?

I think it is the best of a bad situation yes. But this is theory on my part as I have never tried that graft myself. Just speaking from a eyeball perspective.  The wing from the trumpy kit is the best start but not a good start. Make sense?

J

J

Bring deese babies back...especially the B

Sounds easy peasy but I know darn well if I invest the year of hard work on the B kit Tamiya will announce one just as I near completion. And just them making an announcment will kill 99.9% of any sales on my part.

Another good solution is grafting a revell or hobbycraft razorback onto the Tamiya D kit? You then have to straighten out the wing leading edge fillits but that would be a slammin kit.

J

No one does a perfect anything for any Mustang. Even the Tamiya kit has its issues. Having said this...you can try this...or get hold of JR's B.

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=21269&hl=

No matter what you do, it's going to take work.

HTH

Geoff

There seems to be a lot of interest in th B/C. The marking options are leigon and the early OD and Gray schemes are ideal for those of us who fear NM finishes.

BTW I think an interesting compromise is using the ZM D nose with the trumpeter kit. Not perfect but it sure looks a lot like a B. Regardless, wish somebody would come out with a good B/C.

Anyone interested in  an occupy Tamiya protest?

Sounds easy peasy but I know darn well if I invest the year of hard work on the B kit Tamiya will announce one just as I near completion. And just them making an announcment will kill 99.9% of any sales on my part.

Another good solution is grafting a revell or hobbycraft razorback onto the Tamiya D kit? You then have to straighten out the wing leading edge fillits but that would be a slammin kit.

J

You've become such a whiner...buildem will ya!!!

FUF (fromaufriend))

Don't forget to make that wing like a babys' butt,nice and smooth!

P-51wingtop001.jpg

Maybe when I finish my P-38 I'll get back to the stang.

J

The level of detail and accuracy in the fuel cap on that wing say all I need to know. I'm a fan!

Don't forget to make that wing like a babys' butt,nice and smooth!

P-51wingtop001.jpg

Maybe when I finish my P-38 I'll get back to the stang.

J

I KNOW!!!

Why don't you do an 1/18 nth scale D/B/C !!!! OMG!!! Why didn't I think of this sooner? You'll love it !!! No?