A-4AR and/or A-4B/Q/C

dergrunepunkt

There is a conversion set from AMS Resin which allows you to backdate the Trumpeter kit. It has the nose, intakes and decals for the C version, including some Argentinian ones.

It might save you some of the work.

Carl

I seen those

I mean no disrespect but I paid less for the kit and I won't pay USD58 plus shipping for this quality:

HasA4C.jpg

That's without mentioning that I'm more tempted to do a B or a Q which has a different nose.

Thanks a lot mate

Allright, some progress, slow but progress at last.

Built the cockpit, even when trumpeter did a "nice" job I couldn't stand the lack of throttle so I mimic one, I promess I did try to look the other way but I just couldn't stand the side consoles, I I know I have a lot of work with the noses and the intakes but I had to do somethig with that sideconsoles so I lied a bit so the look like there's somethig going on there.

8x6-IMG_3764.jpg

8x6-IMG_3766.jpg

8x6-IMG_3767.jpg

Using epoxi putty ,did some improvement on the bang seat cushions.

8x6-IMG_3768.jpg

Finally I started to play around with the nose, first try a completely failure.

8x6-IMG_3762.jpg

8x6-IMG_3758.jpg

cheers!

Some progress...

The cast of first copy of the scratch built nose is complete. I'm quite happy because both the resin and the silicon rubber are 2+ years old and I wasn't sure if they still good to use, if you see a funny color on the copied nose it's because I forgot to add the color when mixed the 2 part epoxy resin so I added that in the mold.
8x6-IMG_3784.jpg

Even when the resin has cured, it't not 100% cured so I can't make the pannels and the final adjustments.

While that dries I continued the works on the AR's nose, added the second NACA vent and the exhaus pipe on the starbord side, also had to modify the bottom to better represent the this variant, but I'm glad that's almost done, and so far so good.
8x6-IMG_3785.jpg

Finally I made an impression with silicon of the part where the refueling probe meets the fuselage, I'll need that later on.
8x6-IMG_3786.jpg

For the first time I going to correct an error that every single Skyhawk model has, look at this picture, see how the slat recess blends smoothly with the fuselage?, on every model there's a step there and must go.

A4D%2BVortex%2BGenerators.jpg

More to come...

Cheers!

Great progress!

Nice to see you are going to correct that slat recess. I used a photoetch saw and removed it and re-glued it up in the correct position, very easy and practically no filling the cut.

Looking forward to the next update

Cheers

Anthony

Leaving aside the nose (for now), I started to work in all the rest, this kit it's leaving me a very pleasant sensation, I really like it.

I made my mind on doing the A-4Q and that's simply because I know it better than the A-4B, I'll have to sacrifice myself and get another one.

So I started with the works on the slats wells, took quite some time but wasn't problematic, I made the right choice on not using filler, detaching and reattaching the slat well was almost trouble-free.
8x6-IMG_3787.jpg

8x6-IMG_3788.jpg

Early Skyhawks did not had this reinforcements so the must to go.
8x6-IMG_3793.jpg

Doing this took me about 2hrs, but I did it gladly, look awesome
8x6-IMG_3795.jpg
8x6-IMG_3789.jpg

8x6-IMG_3797.jpg

There's a lot of work to do but so far things are going fine.
8x6-IMG_3796.jpg

Saludos

Some inspiration for the Argie Skyhawks

http://youtu.be/-5IZkyv00j8

Not wanting to hijack this thread, but can anybody explain to a complete dummy like me why these guys in the vid wear white cotton (?) hoods? Very interesting documentation.

And a great build. The Skyhawk is a nice little plane. I scratch built an A4-M from paper and other materials back in the eighties, so I will follow your build closely. Keep the pics coming!

Cheers

Rainer

Not wanting to hijack this thread, but can anybody explain to a complete dummy like me why these guys in the vid wear white cotton (?) hoods? Very interesting documentation.

Together with the gloves, its the anti-flash gear, which is to provide some fire protection.

Edited by KOTR

And continues continuing...! :whistle:

Arranque a modificar las tomas de aire, en un momento pense en hacerlas desde cero en madera balsa y despues copiarlas como con la nariz hasta que me di cuenta que era una estupidez no arrancar con las de trumpeter, asi que empece por rellenarlas con masilla epoxi,

Started to modify the air intakes, my first (and stupid) idea was to make the intakes from scratch using balsa wood as I did with the nose, then I decided to base my work on trumpeter's parts, that probe to be the correct approach as I achieved 70% of the task on one intake in about 30 minutes. The procedure was simple, add about 2-3mm of plastic to compensate the removed plastic on the fuselage and then fill the intake with 10min epoxy putty.

8x6-IMG_3803.jpg

When that was halfway cured, about 15 min later (I wonder why they called 10min) I started to sand the externall shape out, I quite happy so far because it looks to be pretty close to the actual shape of the plane.
8x6-IMG_3806.jpg

8x6-IMG_3805.jpg

8x6-IMG_3804.jpg

In the meantime I worked on the rest, the other wing, engines, elevons, flaps, slats so on and so forth, that's seems to never end, never the less it's a lot of fun.
8x6-IMG_3807.jpg

Well I hope you find this entertaining because is going to take some time to finish.

saludos

The nose job it's almost finished, spent a few hours of careful sanding and measuring, the use thin strips of tape made the shape problems to really stand out therefore easy to fix.

8x6-IMG_3814.jpg

I'm really satisfied with this, the nose fit it's as good as it gets, now I have to see if the 0.05% resin shrinkage would be noticeable when I make the final copy.

8x6-IMG_3817.jpg

8x6-IMG_3816.jpg

8x6-IMG_3815.jpg

The panels are marked only with pencil because I have to do some more research to verify and make the least amount of mistakes possible.

8x6-IMG_3819.jpg

8x6-IMG_3818.jpg

Cheers!