Superdetailed 'Nam Skyraider (Trumpy) - updated 21/10 - DONE!&

richdlc

• 1 month later...

*update 7th June 2014*

It's been a long time since my last update so I thought I'd bring you all up to speed.

I've been working mostly on the engine mount and accessory compartment, but I have also detailed the rudder - I'm using parts from the Eduard exterior detail set. Although designed for the AD-4 kit, most of the parts are suitable for the AD-6 too.  I cut out the various notches and holes visible on the real thing where the inner workings of the rudder are visible.  The static dischargers were added from thin plastic tube and wire. I also added the gadget that prevents the rudder and tailplane from moving when the aircraft is parked.  Prominent in my reference photos, and also visible on several photos taken of Skyraiders in Vietnam.  I re-positioned the trim tabs to give the part a little more 'life'

3d2963ea-fa78-42bd-b37e-5d97c6954403_zps

biuvuk_zps34a29653.png

IMG_9674_zps09586c76.jpg

Next,  I once again looked to the engine mount and bulkhead.

Once the fuselage halves were joined and the wings attached, I was left with a huge gap where the lower wing meets the bottom of the bulkhead - this is because I stripped back the panels right to the bulkhead in order to show off more of the engine.  Rather than mess around trying to fill it, I simply removed all the kit's moulded-on surface details and created a new lower bulkhead from plastic card.

IMG_9196_zpsb73b0f32.jpg

IMG_9217_zpsf9993852.jpg

I could now start building up the details again.  These photos will show you the kind of stuff I needed to add:

IMG_0399_zps25dd08db.jpg

IMG_0396_zps1c84efee.jpg

IMG_0469_zps58368b28.jpg

IMG_0446_zps1aced850.jpg

You'll notice that many of the pipes on the bulkhead have their ends taped off - that's because they attach to other pipes and parts of the engine that I have yet to figure out.  Also many wires are dangling loose.  I replicated what I could see, making sure that I left each exposed pipe 'end' hollow. That way I can attach wires and hoses later, and they will be much stronger.I always work this way so that I can maintain structural strength, although it does sometimes mean hollowing out the ends of 0.2 mm plastic tubing!  Any loose, dangling wires will be added later, once I can work out where the other end terminates.

Detail was built up in layers.  I tried to be as accurate as possible, although there is a little bit of artistic licence here and there, due to fit issues with other parts.

IMG_9439_zps13ee4efa.jpg

IMG_9437_zpsfaf67cab.jpg

IMG_9436_zps4d0fae64.jpg

IMG_9434_zps74f1cce7.jpg

In order to proceed, I then had to apply some paint to that lot )weathering to be added later)

IMG_9659_zpsfd3a2059.jpg

IMG_9658_zps62da0caf.jpg

I could now attach the hydraulic fluid reservoir, and concentrate on detailing the engine mount and the engine itself…

There's a lot to consider so constant dry-fitting is crucial:

IMG_0468_zps8b7915a5.jpg

IMG_0393_zps14bff86f.jpg

Here's the rear of the engine:

IMG_0457_zpsf8fabb96.jpg

In a similar manner to the bulkhead, I added what I could see, and will consider the wiring and plumbing later.  These photos show the engine mount and engine rear as of last night - there is still a long way to go!!

IMG_9666_zpsa8921125.jpg

IMG_9667_zps6e454f53.jpg

IMG_9668_zps7786633d.jpg

IMG_9669_zps7852e358.jpg

IMG_9664_zps4903b760.jpg

IMG_9673_zpsfbd27e30.jpg

There's a complex system of wires, pulleys and cables that control the cowl flaps:

82e3622d-3638-43bd-941b-1500f8efb1ac_zps

all six were made individually and then wired up, which was…fun

IMG_9672_zpsec7ab7c2.jpg

IMG_9671_zpsee458eb1.jpg

And that's where I am up to!  I am currently making the carburettor (or an approximation of it).

If anyone can help me with regards to where all the wires go to / from the bulkhead into the back of the engine, I'd be very grateful.  I've sounded out a couple of warbird pilots / skyraider owners who have agreed to help, but they haven't got back to me yet.

As usual, comments / critiques etc welcome.

Thanks for looking at my build

Rich

Edited by richdlc