Superdetailed 'Nam Skyraider (Trumpy) - updated 21/10 - DONE!&

richdlc

Looks really great so far.  I'm sure your magic touch will put this up at the same level as that beautiful B-17. At least this one should provide an easier starting point for your build

Can't wait to see more

Matt  :frantic:

Great attention to details Rich, looks like a nice kit as well.

If I may suggest, the mesh on the cooler looks too coarse compared to the photo.. it just stands out to me from all the other work you've done...

As Jerry would say 'just sayin'.. :)

Matt

Many thanks guys!  My 'favourite' conflict is the Vietnam War, so I'm looking forward to building this kit...

Excellent detail work - you going to be displaying this one opened up to show all that effort off?

Sure am mate

Beautiful..are you sure that metal sheet on the engine mount is on all the spads? It looks suspiciously like a repair ( maybe a doubler after a hit by AAA! )

Hi - yes I think it is - it shows up on at least two other machines that I have photos of...

Great attention to details Rich, looks like a nice kit as well.

If I may suggest, the mesh on the cooler looks too coarse compared to the photo.. it just stands out to me from all the other work you've done...

As Jerry would say 'just sayin'..  :)

Matt

Thanks Matt - you're probably right, but it's the only mesh I have in my stash right now.  I don't think anyone will kick up a fuss when they see the finished model - unless they carry around photos of the air filter ;-)

Thanks for checking in, more soon!

*update 29/01*

Another update! 

I made a start on the cockpit, namely the Yankee ejector seat.  Trumpeter only provides the bucket seat for the Korean War variant.  I bought the Aires cockpit set too - this is designed for the ZM kit, but with some chopping and changing, the parts can be used in the Trumpy kit.  

One of the oddest egress systems ever designed, the Stanley YANKEE system was utilized in the Douglas A-1 Skyraider. This system functions by means of a extraction rocket similar in principle to the drogue gun systems on normal ejection seats. Once the catapult charge fires, the spin stabilized rocket is fired when the pendant lines reach full stretch.

Photos of the seat are hard to find, but I managed to get around a dozen from various sources, including the net and the Squadron Walk Around book.

Here are some of the shots I used:

afgafgaerg_zps50fa4d89.png

afgafbad_zps57226ffd.png

hiuberg_zps367214ba.png

my seat turned out to be an amalgamation of various different seat styles, with a little bit of guesswork. Anyway, I'm happy with it.

I chopped up the kit's bucket seat (on the right, Aires part on the left)

IMG_8048_zpseee76b08.jpg

Built up the frame from plastic card - nothing too fancy as a lot will be hidden:

IMG_8050_zpse1256931.jpg

added parts gradually from plastic card and strip, with milliput cushions:

IMG_8051_zps6fdfa37d.jpg

And ended up with this - more bits to add at the final construction stage, but this is more or less done.  Lap and shoulder harnesses were made from some leftover bits from a Radu B seatbelt set and some pewter sheet, oxy hose made from 15 amp fuse wire wrapped around 30 amp:

IMG_8061_zps4fb6b19e.jpg

IMG_8059_zps47bb9e0d.jpg

IMG_8062_zps76929a68.jpg

Finally for now, I used some parts from the Eduard AD-4 exterior set to dress up the dive brakes on the fuselage sides.  The AD-4 set has plenty of parts that are still applicable for, and can be used on the AD-6.  I also drilled out the holes you can see to match the real aircraft:

IMG_8046_zpsaf6c9499.jpg

More to come soon, stay tuned

Rich

• 4 weeks later...

*Update 23/2/14*

Hi - I'm long overdue for an update, so here goes...

I have more or less finished the cockpit - I'm using the resin upgrade set from Aires to enhance this area - although it is in fact designed for the Zoukei Mura kit, with a bit of fiddling it can be squeezed into the Trumpy fuselage with few problems.

Here are some shots - I was very impressed overall with the Aires cockpit tub and sidewalls - they are about 95% complete and very nicely done.  I added the throttle levers (which broke off on my set in transit - a common problem with these tiny details, unfortunately).  To get the rudder pedals in the right position I had to add a few pieces of plastic card. Fortunately everything is more or less hidden once the I.P. and coaming go on  As I had built the ejector seat by dead reckoning, it was slightly overscale and sits too far forward - for this reason I had to move the control column forward towards the I.P. - I then covered everything up with a canvas 'boot' made from tissue paper soaked in superglue.

One final modification was to hollow out the recess on the right hand side of the cockpit tub control panel for the wing fold lever - it's important to note that the Aires set has this in the 'wings unfolded' position - if you want to display the wings folded, the deployed lever needs to be added.  I want to show one wing folded, and the other removed for servicing.  I will add the lever at a later date.

Aires cockpit with some extra modifications and details - armour plating panel at the rear is a kit part, as is the forward bulkhead (which is also the engine mount bulkhead)

IMG_8261_zps81e3b196.jpg

IMG_8263_zps9400658c.jpg

canvas boot added to control column, and recess for wing fold lever added at top right of picture:

IMG_8265_zpsc5189025.jpg

sidewalls with some rudimentary extra details added - a lot of this will be hidden but it's nice to know it's there:

IMG_8271_zps6e28c8a3.jpg

IMG_8273_zps5a2453b7.jpg

Next was the I.P. - the Aires set is very nice, but is designed for the smaller, narrower Zoukei Mura cockpit (which makes me wonder, which company, Z.M. or Trumpeter,  has got it right??).  I used the bottom resin part from the Aires set, and scratched the top part from plastic card.  The etched brass and instrument film are from the Aires set, and very nicely done they are too.  The thing in the middle of the I.P. is the pull-out map tray.

IMG_8257_zps57413a44.jpg

IMG_8260_zps4a1db12c.jpg

IMG_8278_zps5940e17d.jpg

Next I finished painting the Yankee seat. Colours seem to vary widely on the real thing, so this is an amalgamation - general consensus is that it was light grey with green cushions and headrest, so that's what I went for.

IMG_8282_zps25e36abc.jpg

IMG_8281_zpse67c1d15.jpg

IMG_8279_zps3bbf4cc5.jpg

cockpit was then painted up and seat / I.P. attached.  Any data panels you can see are from Airscale.  I added a very nice remove before flight tag to the seat from HGW.  These are lazer-cut paper and very realistic, and I prefer them to the other available options (photo-etched from the likes of Eduard etc)

IMG_8283_zps0201a509.jpg

IMG_8284_zps7cd42dc3.jpg

IMG_8287_zps1cd81cae.jpg

IMG_8325_zpsbd831077.jpg

The I.P. coaming provided in the Aires set is a vast improvement on the Trumpeter part - unfortunately it is too small and narrow, not being designed for the Trumpy kit.  I therefore used the kit part but heavily modified it.  

Kit part of left, Aires on right

IMG_8063_zps0cbb90ca.jpg

modified part (sorry for the poor photo of this one)

IMG_8291_zps4b33baf7.jpg

and painted up - the gunsight is one of the AIres kit parts, but I added the lens (from the Little Cars range) and replaced the HUD glass with some suitable clear plastic.  Various other details form plastic strip & rod, plus various gauge fuse wire.  The instrument faces are from the spares box and are by Reheat (if memory serves):

IMG_8324_zpsa86f8018.jpg