HK B-17G on a stick

Pete Fleischmann

This looks really awesome and really nice scratch detailing.

Two questions.

Those igniction attachments, what are they made out of? (yellow ones) they look perfect.

And second question, where do you get those brass nuts from?

/Mal

Hey Mal-

Thanks! The ignition harness connectors are just small sections of wire insulation that I stripped off-

The brass nuts are from Scale Hardware in Florida-

Www. Scalehardware.com

HTH

Pete

Welcome to Boeing Pete.     I love it that someone else is building a flying version and looking forward to your progress.

How are you going to power the motor's and what are you going to use for your "crew"?

Bomb bay open or closed and what kind of finish and markings are you planning?

Sorry for all the questions but Inquiring minds want to know..............................Actually I'am nosey. 

I,am building the other Flying Flying Fort and am excited to see this starting.

Mine recently took a" Flak-Kat" hit and has been in the IRAN hanger.

I'am working on another way of making the props but may motorize mine if that experiment flops

"Keep'em Flying"

Jack

Welcome to Boeing Pete.     I love it that someone else is building a flying version and looking forward to your progress.

How are you going to power the motor's and what are you going to use for your "crew"?

Bomb bay open or closed and what kind of finish and markings are you planning?

Sorry for all the questions but Inquiring minds want to know..............................Actually I'am nosey. 

I,am building the other Flying Flying Fort and am excited to see this starting.

Mine recently took a" Flak-Kat" hit and has been in the IRAN hanger.

I'am working on another way of making the props but may motorize mine if that experiment flops

"Keep'em Flying"

Jack

Hey Jack-

well...lessee-

Welcome to Boeing!? That's funny...I've got over 10,000 hours in Boeings alone!

The motors will be powered by a battery pack in the base. The wires will run from the inside of the wings, to the fuselage, and hidden down the inside of a hollow mounting post to the base. There will be an on/off switch on the base for the motors and sound module.

Haven't figured out the crew yet, but I've done a little looking around for figures I can modify-

Bomb bay doors open..

Will probably have a portion of the tail blown off- just 'cause.

Markings? Not sure yet...I am considering scratching a stinger-style tail gun position, but not un-staggering the waist positions...Pretty sure I can find an interesting OD/grey scheme with that configuration...

Sorry about the cat episode..Hope the damage isn't too bad-

Cheers

Pete

Edited by Pete Fleischmann

Hey, I just thought of a cool aircraft.  One of my favorite movies is (obviously) 12 O'Clock High.  The lead aircraft Piccadilly Lilly has probably been done well enough before but there was one other aircraft that caught my attention and that was the one Ben Gately had to fly when General Savage told him "If there's a navigator who can't find his way out of the mens' room, if there's a bombardier who couldn't hit his plate with a fork, you get 'em  because you rate 'em!"  It was Leper Colony from the 918th BG.  

Also, after chatting off board with Uncle Fester, who has a ton of model animation experience, he helped me understand why the pager motors were not the best choice...those little suckers spin at about a bazillion rpm.. He pointed me toward some geared-down planetary motors that I should be able to get to run at around 1800 rpm.. About perfect for 1820's at cruise power. The new motors are the same diameter as the pager motors, and should drop right in- on the way to me now.

He also patiently answered all of my stupid questions about electrical stuff.. And there were a lot of stupid questions.

More to follow-

Pete

Hey Pete.  Sounds like a good idea to change engines.  Where will you be getting them?  Also, will you be using some kind of dimmer switch so that you can vary the speed of the props or just turning them on and off?  I'd like to make my own props spin but I'll be doing more of a start up routine rather than already in flight.  Too bad I can replicate the blast of blue smoke coming out of the exhausts.  Thanks in advance for your answers.  

Hey Pete            If I was as smart as other people my age I could give you the direct link to my build,but I 'am computer illiterate and I can't,

But if you look a the Flying Flying Fortress thread you can see I'am  using the Master Details Cold Weather Pilots for mine.

I'am depicting "Milk Wagon" on the bomb-run and she is a late war aircraft,so I'am painting the crew in late war gear not the brown leather.

Looking forward to this build as I get mine back on track

Jack

Cool project Pete. I saw a 1/48 once that was in flight with crew and shot up with one engine burned up. Ever time I see those Robert Taylor paintings with B-17 fighting it way through a mission I would tell myself...one of these days. In this case, I guess your a doer :D

So, keep on doin' what you doin' cause I'm liking it ;)

Mike

Very cool.  Is this thing bigger or smaller than your big 1/16 Jaguar?  Cause that could not have been a small airplane on the desk.  This will be a fun build to watch come together.

Matt  :frantic:

Hey Matt!

Not as big as my 1/16th scale T-38...The 1/16th Jag is Timmy's amazing work-

Cheers

Pete