Italeri CF-104 in foil *Updated* almost done !

FunkyZeit

That's looking great!! The sample that you did, is that with kitchen foil or Baremetal? I've been thinking about spraying Tamiya AS-12 Bare-Metal Silver then doing panels with foil or Baremetal foil. Was that one piece of foil or 2-3 separate pieces?

Don

thanks guys! Each panel is one piece. That pic is of 4 pieces, the foil is just basic kitchen foil. My next update later today I can try to break it down how I'm doing it. It's actually so very simple.

Edited by FunkyZeit

Looking very nice and welcome to the wonderful world of foiling.

I was looking at the foil box in your photo and noticed NON- STICK is written on the side an wondering if any other foiler has used non-stick.

I stayed away from it ,but only for personal reasons, not knowing if the non-stick would have a negative  effect. 

Jack

Quick little tutorial (this is some trial and error but mostly wisdom gained from out2gtcha).i don't even know if I'm doing it right ;)

image_zps406309e4.jpg

So I picked out three pieces of foil, all different densities. They are all nearly the same but have just a slight variation to them. I use bondo plastic spreaders to smooth out the foil on my granite countertop. I use both the shiny and dull side just for some variation, I've noticed once you pre-grain the foil you can almost not tell which side is which. After I pick which foil I want to use I take steel wool or 2000 grit sand paper and go over the foil. Sometimes I go in straight lines sometimes in circles. If you've ever seen a polished aluminum aircraft in person the swirls are quite evident up close. Once complete I cut a piece out that's relatively close to the size of the panel, and apply microscale foil adhesive to the back of the foil with a crappy paintbrush. I then place the piece onto the panel and start to burnish the foil from the center of the panel outward with a q-tip. Quick trick to aid in this process is to add Vaseline to your q-tip. Brian let me in on this trick and it makes a big difference when you're vigorously burnishing. Make sure to keep some pressure on the piece when burnishing because the foil can and will move out of place. When everything is where you want, take a new clean blade and cut along the panel, carefully peel back the excess foil.

When the panel is free of the extra foil, go back over it with the q-tip to flatten the edges down. You'll find that the burnishing can get nearly all of the details on the plastic, but it won't be quite as deep as you'd like. Take a rounded toothpick and gently trace the panels and rivets to help seat the foil deeper into the details. Some rivets are very small, so try and use a sharper rivet tool. Be cautious at this step; your toothpick or whatever tool will skip and slide across the foil and really "foil" your work (bad joke alert). You can also strengthen your graining by carefully going over each panel with the wool. It's very hard to notice each panel's different grain in certain light, but at the right angles you can really pick out which panels are which. The reason you do panel by panel is so you're not left with a totally uniform finish. Also, to clean up the glue that seeps out from the foil, use isopropyl alcohol.

Here's some work I did tonight. The tail end of the 104 has darker gun metal and even bronze colored metals. If you look at the rear of my picture you will see there is a bronze piece there. To achieve this, Brian told me to try hard boiling eggs, removing the shells and then adding the foil to the boiling pot with the left over shells. I don't remember how long they boiled but I salvaged about a quarter of the foil I boiled that was "usable". I also found that the glue doesn't like the tainted foil, so ill probably try to sand paper the rear of the foil and possibly the model itself to help stick the foil.

image_zps0cabdb11.jpg

I hope this helps anyone looking to also take the leap with me ;)

Justin

Edited by FunkyZeit

Don,

From what I've seen on the master foiled airplanes, is they usually spray the anti-glare first, but I've seen the foil painted over as well. Look for out2gtcha's P-40 and start on page 10. He paints foil on multiple occasions in his build. Hope that helps!

If your using enamels, its easy, to first grain the foil then clean the @#$* out of it, and it stills swimmingly.

If your polishing the foil, you will REALLY need to grain the foil first before applying paint over it................

You can go from this:

WIP_DB_154.jpg

To this:

WIP_DB_161.jpg

Insane work Brian!

Did a bunch of hours today and time to take a break. Don't be alarmed there is all sorts of glue residue that needs cleaned and some panels to be scribed.

image_zps567604c7.jpg

image_zps69c4ac58.jpg

image_zps44e72f3c.jpg

Back to work tomorrow in the old Beechcraft, updates will be sporadic now.

Justin