Italeri CF-104 in foil *Updated* almost done !

FunkyZeit

Quick update:

IMG_38951_zps32ba0d5b.jpg

I did some work in the pit.. I'm really not good at all painting the pit details, I like to cheat and use PE....

I'm going to slightly darken down the pit and spice up the driver. I think I can make the PE seatbelts in the kit work, If not, the tamiya f-16 belts look to be long enough. To create the pilot I used a Tamiya f-4J pilot, with some modifications to their wrists to make it look like the pilot was holding the controls / throttle.

After much speculation, i'll be building a late CF-104 in metal, with the new Leading Edge Decals that Ron just reviewed. Thanks so much for all the help guys!

Criticisms welcome.

Funky

Edited by FunkyZeit

Sure let me know what you find I don't need a helmet just yet.

I did some more research and I decided to do some plastic surgery.. I sanded off some of the straps and scribbled on with a tiny black sharpie where the extra details should be...

http://www.flightgear.ch/Other_CAF_DH_41_2/other_caf_DH_41_2.htm

Modified Side

IMG_39001_zps52ad8ef4.jpg

Non-Modified Side

IMG_39011_zpse98c892a.jpg

Ideas, comments??

Edited by FunkyZeit

Guest Jessie_C

The bottom edge of the visor went straight across rather than coming to a point like the US helmets did. The ear cups were slightly inset and not part of the outer shell. I think that's what you've got your cross-hatching for. 104 drivers didn't wear a survival vest covered with pockets, wearing an orange Mae West instead. Here's your typical flight suit and jacket. The Mae West is on the bottom of that helmet page you linked to. It had a "keyhole" collar that went right around the pilot's neck so that when inflated it supported the back of his head.

Super frustrating part of the build.. The kit has no pilot and the belts werent made to fit the pilot... slowly getting there,,,

Made a life vest out of masking tap... it's a simple design that I'm looking to get somewhere close to what they actually look like.. I've scoured the internet and there isn't a RCAF pilot that will work for this machine..

The pilot has a nice dry brush to make the details pop but my tiny iphone doesnt want to pick it up.

IMG_39031_zps47e55980.jpg

Funky

Edited by FunkyZeit

Hey Justin,  keep the fun in the build also bud, no need to get too wound up in accuracy, it can backfire on you by taking the fun out of it or it can put the fun into it, its really all about what is important to you. I can't believe this is only your forth model! I've been doing this most of my life and trust me, you appear to be a fast learner. Very well done so far.

Keep it up!

Ron

Quick update..

Thanks for the kind words guys. I'm not going to lose sleep over a few kinks and creases that may not be 100% accurate. As you said, It needs to be fun still. So I really appreciate it guys.

Pit is done I say... just need to finish the helmet..

IMG_39111_zps026e57ba.jpg

Build the brace for the carbon rod that will fit inside the square styrene. This is the first set of epoxy, there is even more that I added later. It's very strong stuff, and smells awful. This is my first experience with epoxy. Big thanks to jmreed for the help.

IMG_39101_zpseefd80f1.jpg

Here's the hole I cut out for the carbon rod

IMG_39151_zpse51edea3.jpg

Here's the "stance" it will have once mounted. 20 degrees nose up,  slight left bank

IMG_39161_zps529d330e.jpg

The engine needed to be cut in half to build the flight stand brace.. too be painted next with various alclad

IMG_39171_zps5419466c.jpg

Enjoy!

Love your pit.  The IP looks wicked and your painting is great on the switches and dials.

Nice detail on the inside of the engine as well.  Usually we get injector pin marks and a flat surface instead.

Looks like a fun build with some cool mods for the inflight pose.

Keep up the great work

Cheers Matty